USM Events
25C / 77F
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 25m 51s
Overall Rank = 2538/2612
Age Group = Clydsedale
Age Group Rank = 86/92
Pre-race routine:

The day before the race I went for a recon ride to check out the climb and the decent. Unfortunately I took a wrong turn and ended up doing an extra 20km of hills. Not what I wanted, or needed, the day before the race.
Event warmup:

Race morning I woke from a good sleep and felt, strangely, quite relaxed. I got a visit fromt he 'poop fairy' early and that made me even happier. :)
I walked the 3km from my apartment to transition and set up. I had amanged to remember everything and I was set up and out of there in no time. I then had a 90 minute wait before I needed to assemble for my wave start.
The time passed quickly and before I knew it I was standing with a bunch of other guys in pink caps waiting to start the swim.
Swim
  • 35m 34s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

Our wave was called into the water and I made my way out to the middle of the canal and tread water waiting for the wave start. I had purchased a new pair of goggles the day before and was keen to try them out. They were great. I now realise how crappy my old goggles where.
The gun went and I immediately settled into a rhythm and my breathing was regular and controlled. I felt relly comfortable the whole distance. I managed to catch a couple of stragglers from the wave in front, but was rounded up by the wave behind as well.
My goal was to finish the swim in good condition so that I could focus on the next legs. I got to about the 1400 metre mark before I was starting to wish it was over. I wasn't tired or stressed, just wanted to exit the water. I finished the swim and felt strong. So far so good.
What would you do differently?:

Short of some swim lessons to improve my time I felt as though achieved expectations.
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

My goal in T1 was to make sure that I didn't forget anything and to maintain composure. I was not here to 'win' so I wanted to ensure that everything was right.
Unfortunately the timing in this race places both T1 and T2 times against the Bike leg so the T1 time is an estimate based on my Lap data from my HR monitor.

Felt good and in control, so I wouldn't change a lot.
Bike
  • 1h 23m
  • 40 kms
  • 28.92 km/hr
Comments:

I rode the course the day before and took a wrong turn and ended up doing another 20km of hills before I realised what had happened. Not the ideal preparation and this affected me on race day. I had taken too much out of my legs. Live and learn, I guess.
I rode a comfortable pace and was conscious of the climb that I needed to tackle. It came and went without drama and I was feeling okay save for the slight soreness in the quads from the day before. The out and back was largely uneventful. Then came the decent on 'The Hill'.
Just before the crest I had an age grouper, who looked like a serious contender, come up to me and say 'Alright Big Fella, let's see what you can do down this thing'. I said, 'You just try and hang on!'.
I crested the hill out of the saddle and in the biggest gear I hit it hard. I pedalled until there was no resistance then got in the tuck. I managed to hit 91.6km/h (approx 57mph) going down that hill! It was amazing. I had an absolute blast. (It's the only time being 100 pounds overweight is an advantage!)
I passed several other riders like they were sitting still!
About half a mile further on after the road tended upward again, the same age-grouper caught me and slapped me on the back 'That was freakin' Awesome!' He yelled. 'I've never seen anyone go down that so fast!' After that I felt pumped and finished the ride quite well.
Up till then I had ridden within myself to try and save my legs for the run.

I probably could have gone a little harder but the brick run was really an unknown quantity for me. I need to do more brick sessions and not do a big recon, ride the day before....
Transition 2
  • 03m 45s
Comments:

I transitioned pretty well all things considered. I did take a minute to stretch my hamstrings and quads before heading out of T2. I was a little nervous about the run as I had only run the distance once before this event.

Nil.
Run
  • 1h 20m
  • 10 kms
  • 08m  min/km
Comments:

As I hit the run it started to rain. It had rained earlier in the day but stopped when I enetered T1. So for it to start for the run was quite a blessing really. It kept me cool and was most welcome.
I managed to run the first two kilometres before the first aid station. My quads were getting sore and I decided that I needed to walk the aid stations. I picked up some fluid and walk a little further. Essentially I ran and walked the aid stations for the duration. At about the midway point I needed a potty break and I stopped and also took the opportunity to do some more stretching. This helped me no end and I actually felt better as the race went on.
As it was only my second ever 10km run I was pretty happy with the result. I know that it is far from quick but it is an area where I can make the most gains.

Train more for the run, especially off the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

My warm down consisted of hanging around waiting for transition to open, collecting the bike and walking the 3km back to the apartment.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As one sign, at the 7km mark of the run, said ... "Bet you wish you had trained more for the run leading up to this thing, huh!?!"
That about sums it up for me...

Event comments:

This is a really well run event and incorporates almost a week of events. It is a trus multi-sport festival and is well worth attending.
My only suggestion for the Tri would be to have timing mats on both entry and exits of Transition to register T1 & T2 times separately and not just lump them with the Bike leg.
This is a great event and I plan on making it an annual event. I highly recommend it.

Last updated: 2009-04-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:34 | 1500 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 78/92
Overall: 0/2612
Performance: Good
No HR data as HR monitor failed in water!
Suit: Nil
Course: The course consisted of a lap around an island in the canal system at Noosa. There was an additional up and back leg to achieve the 1500 metre distance.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 24C / 74F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:23:00 | 40 kms | 28.92 km/hr
Age Group: 83/92
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: The course consisted on and out-and-back circuit with a 3km climb at approximately the 10km mark. After the climb the road flattens out and continues for another 7km. Coming back in is 'The Hill'. It is 1.2km of about 12% gradient that you hit going down then it flattens out again for the run into town and tranisition.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:20:00 | 10 kms | 08m  min/km
Age Group: 86/92
Performance: Average
Course: The course was flat and essentially an out-and-back course that followed the canal around the housing estates of the course. It was well laid out and well supported. There were plenty of locals cheering and offering support. I had a good time.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-11-03 6:09 PM

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria
Subject: Noosa Triathlon

2009-11-06 9:39 PM
in reply to: #2496151

User image

On your right
Subject: RE: Noosa Triathlon
You're the man Gus!  Way hardcore to do a nice long ride the day before a race too.  I don't think I'd ever try to ride a course the day before, since the last time I tried to drive a course the day before, I got lost and almost ran out of gas in my car. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Noosa Triathlon Rss Feed