General Discussion Triathlon Talk » spinning pros and cons? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-11-05 2:45 PM

User image

Pennington, South Africa
Subject: spinning pros and cons?
hi,
im doing spinning classes for an hour twice a week in the local gym. it is a lot easier and safer than ridding on the local roads. i feel that it has improved strenght and leg speed. are there any negative sides to training in this way? thanks for any advice.

2009-11-05 2:48 PM
in reply to: #2499701

User image

Champion
Milton, GA
Subject: RE: spinning pros and cons?

Not negatives... but what you don't get out of a spinning class is

- Bike handling skills

- Increased confidence in your riding abilities

- Shifting gears and understanding what gear to be in when

- Environment... It's not going to be air conditioned during a race

- Fresh Air

2009-11-05 3:41 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
IMO, spinning is a good tool to use occasionally over the winter months, because it's not as boring as riding on the trainer at home all them time, but it's not a substitute for riding outside.

2009-11-05 3:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
I started training for tri's late last year and didn't buy my road bike until November of last year.  Being in New England without any cold weather gear and no trainer I did the spinning thing all winter, 2-3 times a week and HARD every time. In mid-March, having ridden my bike just once outdoors (I had since gotten a trainer, which I used about 8-10 times), I averaged 270 watts and 19.8 MPH over a 15 mile course during an indoor TT...absolutely ALL of that was because of spinning. 

Now that I have a trainer and some good winter clothing the spin shoes won't get much use this winter.  But it's definitely a solid option during the cold months and I certainly pushed myself MUCH harder in a spin class than I ever could at home on the trainer. 

Edited by Brownie28 2009-11-05 3:47 PM
2009-11-05 3:58 PM
in reply to: #2499826

User image

New Haven, CT
I am MOP for biking... I do not ride outside in the late fall/winter/early spring as it is inconvenient, cold and there is no babysitting on the road... hence I would say about 1/2 my riding (or more) is spin class or trainer (adding rollers this winter to improve handling skills).  Outside is far better, but I think spin class is good, just try and focus on actual biking skills (like "climbing" while seated or high cadence riding).  The "standing position" I think is useless and typically ignore.  I also do not go to "position #3" much other than to stretch legs and back. 
2009-11-05 4:00 PM

User image

Master
Seattle, California
No negatives. But it's not as good as riding your actual bike. If you like spinning though and don't care that it isn't the most efficient manner of tri training then keep at it. It will improve your fitness.

2009-11-05 4:12 PM
in reply to: #2499708

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

LowcountryTRI - 2009-11-05 2:48 PM

Not negatives... but what you don't get out of a spinning class is

- Bike handling skills

- Increased confidence in your riding abilities

- Shifting gears and understanding what gear to be in when

- Environment... It's not going to be air conditioned during a race

- Fresh Air

Your forgot one:

-Frostbite

Seriously, it gets cold here in the winter

2009-11-05 4:21 PM

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
Spinning is like running on a treadmill and swimming in a pool.  I do all three and all three are great,  but there also all a controlled enviorment.  Solid training tools.  But not a total replacement for actual real world training. 

If your gonna race you wanna swim in open water, run outside, and bike on the road, so you know what your in for...
2009-11-05 4:24 PM

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH

One negative I would see is that the spin bike will not be set up like your personal bike.  so you wont get an exact match.

2009-11-05 4:30 PM

User image

Spinning is awesome!!! Keep it up.  Way safer in the cold weather. Only Neg is that your limited to 1 hour classes mostly.

I used to to do the double sometime on a Sat, They had one at 7.am and one at 8.15am so i would just go through both sometimes then jump on the treadmill immeadately for a good brick.

Another plus on spin is you get to know regulars and it can be alot of fun
2009-11-05 7:06 PM
in reply to: #2499906

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim

Spinning is good from a fitness perspective and probably a better workout than many people give themselves on their bikes. I wouldn't worry about the fit. Like the others said you don't get the real world fun of changing gears and flats.

My The only caveats I see are: Some spinning instructors suck and are only there to thrash your legs. You don't want to get your training impeded because you try to keep up with a psycho instructor and depending what your goals you're not getting more the 50 -60 minutes in the saddle at a time.

To the guy who mentioned air conditioning. I wish the air in a spin class could keep up!  Where I go there is always a lake of sweat at then of the class.

2009-11-05 8:28 PM

Master
Riding indoors is 100% legit.

There are top pros like Andy Potts and that new kid who's coming up as the next bike monster (faster than most ITU pros on the bike leg) who say they do 95%+ of their bike training on an indoor  Computrainer. You'd be better believe that if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for all of us.

I'd say outdoor riding and group riding is much more important if you are a pure road racer / criterium racer, but as a triathlete, you can pick up all the bike handling skills you need in a single long weekend ride; it's not like we're mountain biking or taking crazy corners.  Spinning is also good if you really hammer it. I can definitely get super-intense workouts every bit as good as my hammerfest road rides and more in the spin class. (Although all those up-downs out of the saddle are a bit annoying.)

Edited by agarose2000 2009-11-05 8:29 PM
2009-11-05 9:11 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
I love spinning classes and incorporate them in my training year round. I wouldn't treat is as a subtitute for outdoor riding but when used to change up your routine, work on intervals, work on strength, work on hills, and work on explosiveness spin classes are great. I don't do alot of interval work on the road or have any 12 minutes progressively steepening hills in my backyard, but I can do these at a spin class. Plus it is a chance to ride with a group of foks at widely differerent ability levels, enjoy the company, enjoy the music, and the scenery isn't too bad either .

I feel my riding has benifited from my spin classes. Plus anything that is fun and helps get you to work out over the dead of winter is a good thing in my book.
2009-11-05 10:05 PM
in reply to: #2499900

New user
TRIMAN413 - 2009-11-05 5:24 PM

One negative I would see is that the spin bike will not be set up like your personal bike.  so you wont get an exact match.

My club has some pretty nice bikes that have multiple adjustments.  Of course it will never be EXACTLY like my bike, but I can set it so it's pretty darn close.

Like others have said, it's not substitute for the real thing, but I know I push myself much much much harder in spin class then I would at home on the trainer.

I don't do the jumps or stands.  The only time I stand is if I need a quick stretch.  My philosophy in the spin class is I won't do anything in their that I wouldn't do on my real bike, like the jumps.

The most important thing is to do something.  If its a spin class or nothing, the do the spin class.  Do what ever it takes to keep at it over the winter.  Here in Michigan; the winters are long.
2009-11-05 10:22 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
I have been doing spinning twice a week since beg. of Oct. for 60 min. and am adding a 90 min. Sat. class.  Our instructor is a triathlete and also coaches; great motivator and excellent tunes (Rock and Roll).  Whenever I get the chance I'll try to get out and ride on the road if for no other reason but to see how things are going with the cycle fitness.  What I suspect is that I will be in a much better place than I was last year coming off the bike into the run and hopefully will have lower 5K times. 

Can't do it all in the off season, but I'll sure tri.  I am also planning to run a 10 k Mid Jan. so I will be building up to that with an 8 week plan.
2009-11-06 12:35 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Don't confuse spinning with indoor training on a trainer or a CompuTrainer... not exactly the same thing... on a trainer, you're on your own bike in your position, working the exact muscles you would when on the road (not 100% correct, since you're not moving, hence engaging stabilizing muscles).

Spinning is great cardio work out, but it's not cycling per se. With that said, there's absolutely no reason not to take spinning classes, and many reasons why to take the classes... your cardio improves, it does help leg strength and it can help leg speed (although it doesn't really help leg speed, but rather pedaling technique, which allows you to maintain a circle even at higher speed...).

But, you are loosing on the benefit of training the position you ride on the road, you are missing out on excellent opportunity to practice shifting technique (since the resistance can be constant on the trainer, you can really practice this efficiently), and of course whether on a spin bike or trainer, you're not training your stability on the bike.

2009-11-06 12:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Boulder, Colorado
From some of the stuff I've been reading, it seems that the pros are using indoor training for really hard sets, particularly to increase their pain tolerance on the bike (at least that's what the article suggested). For myself, however, I've found that standing up out of the saddle generally just interrupts things and if I go as hard as the spin class seems to suggest, I wear out way too quickly and do not get near as good of a workout since my legs are shot for most of the spin. However, I have seen a huge benefit from working on a high cadence in a constant gear and keeping that throughout the whole class (In my last race, my first Half, my legs felt like they were on autopilot and just kept driving the same cadence no matter what). This type of training is very difficult to get outdoors for me since it seems i'm alway stopping at a stop light or climbing up or down a hill. Of note though, I don't think anything I've done in spin even gets close to comparing to the amount of fitness I got from just a few long rides with a group to push me (to the limit and way more than i thought possible).

Edited by golfer17 2009-11-06 12:43 AM
2009-11-06 6:08 AM
in reply to: #2500384

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
JC5066 - 2009-11-05 11:05 PM
TRIMAN413 - 2009-11-05 5:24 PM

My club has some pretty nice bikes that have multiple adjustments.  Of course it will never be EXACTLY like my bike, but I can set it so it's pretty darn close.

Like others have said, it's not substitute for the real thing, but I know I push myself much much much harder in spin class then I would at home on the trainer.

I don't do the jumps or stands.  The only time I stand is if I need a quick stretch.  My philosophy in the spin class is I won't do anything in their that I wouldn't do on my real bike, like the jumps.

The most important thing is to do something.  If its a spin class or nothing, the do the spin class.  Do what ever it takes to keep at it over the winter.  Here in Michigan; the winters are long.

I was thinking about this the other day as the instructor had us doing isolations where we try to keep the upper body as motionless as possible and just move the pedals using only your legs..   Things like this don't translate directly, but it is a bike specific strength exercise.  You do drills in swimming, and there are other drills to do on the bike too, like one-legged pedaling.

Also I did just think of those jumps.. I do have instances where I need to get out of the saddle in a hurry, then get back.  On tougher climbs on a mtb it is common to have to stand, sit, stand, sit to keep traction (it's called scissoring)... 

But point is.. some of those things seems silly at times, but they do break up the monotony of just sitting there and spinning and help the time go by quicker
2009-11-06 6:23 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
the only negatives I can think of are:

- not your bike fit
- the class might be more catered for avg people rather than cyclist hence you'll do a lot of fluff and not as much as work

When possible specific training will beat any trainng but sometimes you have to do whatever you have to do hence spinning can be a good complement (not substitute) to riding your bike whether indoors or outdoors.

* Riding indoors in a trainer like a computrainer can be a great training tool but a computrainer is not the same as spinning classes
2009-11-06 7:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spinning is great, BUT... my gym has horrible spin teachers. Maybe you guys have ACTUAL cyclists or triathletes who teach these classes. We don't. We have 2 young girls who play loud music and scream for an hour. So I go in there alone (some gyms won't let you do this) and spin for whatever time I need. Boring, but it works for the winter months when you just can't hit the pavement.

I think the problem with many spin classes is (as someone else said) they aren't exactly geared to the endurance athlete. Just my 2 cents.
2009-11-06 10:05 AM

User image

Pennington, South Africa
thanks very much for all the feedback. i can go spin now without feeling guilty for not being on my bike. Will keep up weekend rides though.
NOTE: where i live there is hardly any winter, hot as hell for most of the year thankfully.

2009-11-06 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran
MA
Check this article out:

http://www.trifuel.com/training/bike/spinning-vs-cycling-0
2009-11-06 10:19 AM

User image

Elite
Miami
most everybody said this spinning = indoor training.....

i have done a spinning class and besides looking at some really hot girls i found it annoying.  now training on my own bike in proper position on my trainer seems to kick my arse so much more....i am sure you will still gain some fitness especially for beginner via spinning.

Edited by trix 2009-11-06 10:20 AM
2009-11-06 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2500567

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, MI
swimbikeandrun - 2009-11-06 8:36 AM Spinning is great, BUT... my gym has horrible spin teachers. Maybe you guys have ACTUAL cyclists or triathletes who teach these classes. We don't. We have 2 young girls who play loud music and scream for an hour. So I go in there alone (some gyms won't let you do this) and spin for whatever time I need. Boring, but it works for the winter months when you just can't hit the pavement.

I think the problem with many spin classes is (as someone else said) they aren't exactly geared to the endurance athlete. Just my 2 cents.

Yes, the squeaky screams of my local female instructors deterred me into solo sessions as well.

Spinning can help work and tweak muscles that cycling may not. There is a lot of core work going on - like the upright position, etc. Although these specific positions may not be directly cycling oriented - any core training is valuable training for tri in my book.

Spin On. But don't be a Sally on bike.
2009-11-06 1:42 PM
in reply to: #2501252

Taffle - 2009-11-06 2:04 PM

Yes, the squeaky screams of my local female instructors deterred me into solo sessions as well.

Ugh, yes, some of the female instructors are such twits - all the ones at my old gym like to shriek like rabid raccoons, to quote another BTer. There was one woman I just wanted to punch. Luckily, there was a guy who taught classes who was an actual cyclist and ran his class more like a spinervals DVD/actual trainer workout. That was a better class.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » spinning pros and cons? Rss Feed  

of 2