Team Magic
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 58s
Overall Rank = 183/197
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/13
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4 am to be in Nashville by 6am. Had to remove the wheel off my bike to fit it in the car. Packed my stuff.
Event warmup:

Stood around and tried to get my confidence up. Talked to lots of nice people who helped to encourage me. didn't warm up at all.
Swim
  • 06m 40s
  • 200 meters
  • 03m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

For some reason I couldn't catch my breath, don't know if it was nerves or what. I had trouble breathing during the first few miles of the bike as well.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe not volunteer to be at the end of a staggered start. I think I could have done better if I pushed myself more in the middle. For a beginner race though I was happy.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Pulled on shorts and a tank, had a sports bra on under my swimsuit. Worked great for my entry level needs. No problems. Glad I didn't spend excess cash on tri suits and the like.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 41m 1s
  • 8.2 miles
  • 12.00 mile/hr
Comments:

My best event. Even though I was riding a heavy bike compared to most people there I passed 5 people on the 2 last uphills. Didn't give up on the hills like some people who walked their bikes. Was kind of winded coming out of the swim. Took the first 4 miles before I caught my breath. Lots of hills. About halfway through the bike I realized I was going to finish and I started to cry a little I was so happy.

Was happy with this segment. Biking is my favorite event. Maybe by next year I will have bought an entry level road bike. There were a lot of nice bikes, 95% of the people had way nicer bikes than me. I guess this is my issue. I was very happy I passed a man on a fancy road bike on a hill. He was relatively young too.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Didn't run out of course. Walked and stopped and got some powerade before I started the run. Obviously if I was a serious racer I would have done this much differently.

I was just aiming to finish at this point, so I wasn't worried about anything.
Run
  • 22m 37s
  • 2 miles
  • 11m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I sucked at the run. I just gave up early on. However, I got lots of encouragement and as I ran back to the finish I passed people still starting the run. I tried to encourage all of them as people had encouraged me.

Be more focused, train harder on the run. Most of my running has been on a treadmill, and I should have ramped up outside earlier. I was kind of overwhelmed. However, I knew I was going to finish and I wanted to cry I was so happy.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my finisher medal and was very happy. The event had run out of all the good food. It was a staggered start at the swim, so by the time I got in the pool the first few people had finished the entire race. That was fine, but gosh, save some food for the people who start an hour later. I stopped at starbucks on my way home, and wore my finisher medal like a dork. I was proud though, what can i say. Even if I was 183 out of 197.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My mental discipline. Kind of gave up during the run and walked for awhile, but was very happy to finish as this was my first tri.

Event comments:

Team Magic is great. Everyone was super friendly and encouraging. The race was run very well, and it was in a beautiful part of Nashville, and the Jewish Center it was at was great too. My folks went to watch and they said people associated with the center were very friendly.

Last updated: 2005-05-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:40 | 200 meters | 03m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 184/197
Performance: Below average
I found swimming in a race alot harder than doing laps in my local pool. The race was in a lap pool but it just seemed different. I was passed once in the pool, and passed one person. I was near the end of the staggered start, so we stood in line to start the swim for almost an hour. People had finished the race at 40 minutes before I even started the race.
Suit: One piece speedo
Course: Lap swim in pool, couldn't have been more geared to suceeed.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:01 | 08.2 miles | 12.00 mile/hr
Overall: 175/197
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Course was exceptionally hilly. The biggest hills I rode in years. However it was very well run. Lots of volunteers and police monitoring the course. Everyone very positive as I passed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:37 | 02 miles | 11m 19s  min/mile
Overall: 180/197
Performance:
Course: easy course, run out 1 mile and loop at the drink stand.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-31 7:55 PM

New user

Subject: GJCC MEMORIAL DAY TRIATHLON

2005-05-31 9:02 PM
in reply to: #166281

Elite Veteran
Subject: RE: GJCC MEMORIAL DAY TRIATHLON
What a great first race! I think it is pretty normal to hyperventilate before even putting a toe in the water on your first race.

I'm so glad you had a good time. When is your next one?
2005-05-31 10:31 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Great Job!!

I have trouble breathing when swimming in Tris too. I think the more I do the better I'll get....racing is so different than practicing.

Keep up the good work and yes when is your next tri?

Kathy
2005-06-01 5:25 AM

User image

Expert
Montreal
Congratulations. It sounds like you had a great time.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » GJCC MEMORIAL DAY TRIATHLON Rss Feed