Out Loud Productions
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = x/
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30, and ate a big ol bow of Oatmeal. I had issues the night before that involved sitting on the toilet for 40min. As it happens, it's a good way to lose a couple pounds real quick. So I was a bit worried about what I ate that morning, so I kept it on the light side and made sure to drink well. It was a hour and 20min drive up to the race, so I was out the door at 4am.

On the way up my stomach keeps getting a little more upset as time goes by, finally about 5 miles from the race site, I had to GO and pulled into a gas station. Several minutes later, after a close call in the bathroom and probably another couple pounds lighter I was good to go. By the time I got to transition, I was feeling just fine.
Event warmup:

10min jog and a few pick ups with Will at a little after 6am.

Then got in a short 7min or so swim with a few pick ups as well. I instantly felt really good in the water and even told Will as much. :)

Hey, the swim is the only thing I finished today, so I have to talk it up.
Swim
  • 29m 30s
  • 2200 yards
  • 01m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

Really like the course this year compared to the last years. First, it was a beach start with a run in. I've never done that before, so I got in a few practice starts in my warm up. No problems. You start in a marina and swim out, so the first part is baby smooth. Then you make your way back around to the back side of the resort to exit near transition.

So I start in the 2nd row, with Will right next to me. He was hoping to get on my feet, but I was planning on hammering the first 200. So I just told him good luck at that. :) I may be a little cocky at times. :)

Anyway... the gun goes off and magically the few people in front of us part for us. I thought to my self, well that is nice of them. I took one or two steps more than Will who went splat into the water. I had a good lil dive and came up half a body length ahead of everyone else. Shortly after a relay swimmer zoomed off at retard speed(25min swim on a long course). I kept swimming and was slowly pulling away from the pack, while thinking what are these guys doing, they are supposed to be faster and give me some good feet to ride. Then another relay swimmer goes on my left at a little bit of a slower pace than the other one. I was able to hop on for 100yards or so. It did get me clear of everyone and really set me up for a great swim. I did a quick roll over/backstroke move to make sure no one was on my feet. Then set off for the rest of the swim. As we were heading more into open water there were just some tiny waves that bobbed you just enough to make me change my stroke just a tad.

I was starting to catch a lot of the wave ahead of us, Shortly after we made the turn back south(800m in or so). Around that time I let my kick go to a light two beat kick to help my self hold back. Shortly after that I started to catch a good chunk of the wave that started 10min up. I was taking the best lines possible and really didn't have to dodge as many swimmers as I expected to. They all went 5-10m off the perfect line, so I just went right on by. Over the last few 100 meters, I started to catch a good amount of the 3rd wave infront of us. I had fun the whole time, and thought I had to be on a great time(thinkign 27:40-28:20 or so). Got out of the water and to the strippers and saw 29:35(already past the timing mat). I went hmm, right on target but I felt like I swam faster. Seeing as only 3 of us went under 30min(plus two relays), I think it was long. Chris usually swims a 26, or a 27 something on an off day. He swam a 29 flat, with it being a off day.
What would you do differently?:

Nada.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Not sure of time, us DNF people aren't worthy of partial results.

However, I know it wasn't good. I should of ran right past the strippers who were too close to the water. I however went to them, even though I wasn't even close to having my wetsuit down to my waist. Fumbled with that for a bit, then finally got it off. Probably wasted 45s-1minute more than I needed to. Way to waste away a good swim huh.
What would you do differently?:

Just run by the strippers, they really just slowed me down being too close to the water.
Bike
  • 1h 39m
  • 38 miles
  • 23.03 mile/hr
Comments:

Well I got on the bike and my HR was 174, I was like... oh... not good. Really soft pedaled it the first 5min. Picked it up just a tad over the next 5min but was really trying to get it down under 160 before I tried to get in my grove. Finally I just started to go anyway and it finally settled down to where I wanted it. As has become a tradition Ritter usually passes me smack dab at half way on the bike. I figured with my horribly slow start, anything after 45min into the ride was game. So at around mile 20, I hear what sounds like a disc behind me. I look back and there he is! The punk! As is also the norm, he is the only guy not in a relay to pass me during races. Anyway at this point I was keeping on the low side of my zone and so I decided to chase him a bit to see how much he was pushing. He was actually gapping me ont he downs, but not much at all on the ups. Eventually my HR started to climb up to 160 and I made my self back off again.

Despite what Will made me believe by blowing by me earlier than expected, I was going well. I had already made up good amount of time on the rest of the field, besides Will obviously, when I counted my time back on the out and back section. So Will was already in first OA or close to it as Kevin hadn't given up much time at that point and I wasn't far back from Will at that point, maybe a minute. That was about the half way point when I started to push into the higher effort of the zone I was trying to stay in to still be able to run well. Things were going good, holding steady for about 10 miles still on track for a good race. When my back wheel went pssssssst. That was that, as my spare was no good.

10 miles later in the sag wagon, John Roberston, sort of the other guy I was worried about was on the side of the road with the same problem.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race

Last updated: 2009-08-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:30 | 2200 yards | 01m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 3/
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Fullsuit
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:39:00 | 38 miles | 23.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: A really nice loop with a little out and back section on good country roads through some woods.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 13.1 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-11-09 2:06 PM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: Iron Star Triathlon

2009-11-09 3:00 PM
in reply to: #2505210

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Iron Star Triathlon
Doh, bummer about the flat!

When I started reading it and saw the DNF it was sounding like you were going to have the sh-ts and intestinal problems.  Sucks that you were out because of a bike issue.
2009-11-09 4:08 PM
in reply to: #2505378

User image

Champion
the colony texas
I was hoping for a  "I crapped in the water and when  they finally figured out it was me they pulled me off the bike course"

Ritter was smoking that day, but you were moving pretty fast yourself. Sorry bout the flat, and see at lonestar in april  
2009-11-09 4:13 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Dude - sorry to hear that you flatted out...  That sucks on a big race!

2009-11-09 5:06 PM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Nope... no crap in the pants, I was actually surprised about how well I felt the last hour leading into the race considering the past night and just an hour earlier. Must of got it all out of my system.
2009-11-10 8:40 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
thats sucks man.  i figured when you went by me in the water that you were in for a great day.  good to hang with you at least though.

2009-11-12 9:43 PM

User image

Veteran
OH, no!  Horrible!  I feel your pain. I have had more flats in the last two months that most bikers I know over years of riding!  I almost just sold my bike and said screw it!  I got some new tires that people swear by for puncture resistance-so far so good-Michelin Krylion-I am sure there are better ones or what not but I was so tense on the ride bc I literally had not been able to ride more than six miles before the race for over two months!!!  My legs were killing me but I was thankful to finish without flats-so sorry!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Star Triathlon Rss Feed