Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Swim
  • 52m 9s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was pretty fun, I found myself alone for most of the swim. The lines I travelled were mostly away from other swimmers not by choice. The water temp was perfect after the cold wait at the start line. I was especially nervous being from Australia and really feeling the cold even in the south because all I had was my sleeveless wetsuit.
I had done a total of 7 hours swim training since may last race in October 2008 so I was figuring a 1:20 with strong current. So when I got out of the water at 50:30 and ran to the mat for a 52min swim I was very happy with my choice of slacking on the swim training.

What would you do differently?:

I would have got new goggles. Yes folks my goggles filled with water frequently and I had to stop 5 times during the swim. At one point I even took them off, re-strapped them for a tighter fit and put them back on while floating down the stream.
Transition 1
  • 10m
Comments:

Way too many penises than I ever wanted to see…..
Bike
  • 6h 05m 49s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Very flat and fast course, yeah there were some small hills and some wind but overall I had a great ride and enjoyed myself the whole time. If you were on the course and passed me or I passed you, I said “good job or keep it up” to every person I could on the course. I hit my nutrition perfectly and maintained control the whole time. At the turn into the headwind I kept my 140HR and at some times my speed was 15mph (down from an average of 23 to mile 60) but it didn’t bother me one bit and I actually enjoyed seeing others try to push through it only to suffer more. I have read some other reports saying there were drafters out there. I did not see one person “blatantly” draft one the whole ride.

I would like to finish my nutrition by mile 95 – 100 so I can bomb more water by mile 105 then back off before the run. During this ride I hit my fuel perfectly with zero stomach issues but finished it at mile 110 and had very little time to digest before the run.
Transition 2
  • 08m 55s
Comments:

I took plenty of time to clean my foot and patch it up before the run. For those of you who did not know I cut my left foot pretty bad the week before the race. I bruised and gouged out a piece of skin the size of a quarter on the arch of my left foot. The 7 days before the race I was a limping mess and didn’t train the while time.
Run
  • 5h 09m 14s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a great time on the run and totally enjoyed the whole experience. Every support person on the run was committed to being present for each and every runner which was AMAZING!!! During the run I stayed in control and never really walked until the 2nd loop during the aid stations and the hills. I never felt any pressure from within to perform at any higher rate and while I was running my HR never went over 145 which for me is complete control considering my “red Zone” on the run is 160 and I push out tempos at 170 -185HR.

I think now I know it is only pain management I will put forth a greater effort in maintaining a consistent pace. I feel the walking was a major part of my pain management plan which can be controlled with a little HTFU.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank about 15 beers and passed out. I woke up naked on the floor in the Hiltons elevator, with my finishers medal around my "old fella". If anyone found a pair of jeans and a B2B sweater can you shoot me a PM.

Event comments:

The race was a really well run event. At first I was a little worried about the duel transitions and the newness of the race but they had it all squared away. If you are considering this as your first full distance event you will not find a better place to start. I think they said they had a 1:1 ratio of volunteers to participants and every aid station was on the ball. At the bike special needs I didn’t even ask for my bag and they ran it over to me before I got off the bike to stretch a little.
The swim is easy, the bike is fast, and the run is very well supported. During the run the spectators are on the riverfront so you see them for 2 miles four times throughout the run. Yeah 1 mile of the run was not lit well but I am sure they will make it better next year and if you are worried about it finish before the sun goes down or bring your own light.
One of the best things: After the race I went to get my bike and ALL of my gear was sitting there waiting for me. The volunteers had found all of my bags and placed them neatly with my bike. This was huge and makes for a F-ing fantastic end to a good day in Wilmington NC.
Folks this race is only going to get better and better I bet in the next year or 2 it will be hard to get into because of how well it is organized and easy to race.

Last updated: 2009-07-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:52:09 | 4224 yards | 01m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU Sleeveless
Course: Intercoastal Waterway
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 10:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:05:49 | 112 miles | 18.37 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 08:55
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:09:14 | 26.2 miles | 11m 48s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-11-09 2:34 PM

Extreme Veteran
Bluffton, SC
Subject: Beach 2 Battleship

2009-11-09 2:50 PM
in reply to: #2505291

User image

Master
Charlotte
Subject: RE: Beach 2 Battleship
BEST.  WARMDOWN. EVER!
2009-11-09 3:09 PM

User image

Expert
NoVA
OK you might not write your RR like mr2tony BUT the content of your RR was GREAT!!!!!  Guess I'm glad I got outta T1 fast and didn't look around much.....and I wasn't staying at the Hilton so can't help with your sweater or jeans eitherSurprised  Great job on the race itself and I agree with your thoughts on the course/organization---fantastic that you can "stop" to adjust your goggles and end up 400 yards down the channel!!!!
2009-11-09 3:11 PM

User image

Expert

What a fabulously positive race you had!!!  Congrats!

2009-11-09 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2505408

Extreme Veteran
Bluffton, SC
katimomma - 2009-11-09 4:11 PM

What a fabulously positive race you had!!!  Congrats!

Thank you!

All my races and training is positive. I found it quite funny when people were complaining about the wind on the course since we all pay to do the race. I guess if I am going to pay $300+ I should have a good time.
2009-11-09 4:06 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Weird. I woke up with someone else's jeans on! Coincidence? I think NOT!

Ha congrats and great warmdown!!! Great race too!!!

2009-11-09 7:13 PM

User image

Master
Ohio
That was actually my finishers medal wraped around your little fella. But you can just go ahead and keep it.

Well done. I think you are right, the race will just get better from here on out.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach 2 Battleship Rss Feed