Set Up Events
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 34m 47s
Overall Rank = 8/550
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/80
Pre-race routine:

So this race was going to be my 3rd tri and 1st HIM, although it was the 1st race I signed up for almost a year ago. I came into not feeling very good because I really did not do enough training. I actually decided in the week leading up to it, that I would just try to finish comfortably and try to enjoy it as opposed to going out there for a great result.
Pre Race was a little different because of the logistics of having multiple transitions and also a T1 that was shared by 2 races that started 90 min apart.
I woke up at 5:30am and ate a bowl of oatmeal and mixed my water bottles. I headed over to T1 to put the bottles and computer on the bike and to check tires etc. Well I forgot my pump in the car, but someone was kind enough to let me use theirs. I pumped the front and then was about to not pump the rear because I had a disc cover on and it is a pain, but then went ahead and pumped it. Actually I never got to pump it because the valve core shot straight out into the wheel cover...ooops no air in back tire now and no valve left to pump it. Rushed the bike over to Two Wheeler Dealer and that put a new tube in for me. Saw Harold (hrliles)and chatted for a couple moments and then headed back to my hotel where I had another bowl of oatmeal and some coffee, hung out for 90min and then got driven to the swim start.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 25m 39s
  • 2078 yards
  • 01m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

So I took my time after getting out, got my suit stripped and then ran 85yds to the mat. Actual splits aren't up so this was off my watch.
Swim I thought was pretty choppy to start, but I was ok. Near the last left hand turn angle I was focused on a buoy straight ahead and then I looked up to see not a soul around me or in front of me. Looked left and there they all were, so I had to make a quick change. Other than that it was pretty uneventful.Oh there was a "slight" current helping us on our way.
What would you do differently?:

Train. I totaled 15,000 yds for Aug, Sept, and Oct combined when I guess with my lack of swimming ability I should have done more like 75k
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

It was a long run (+- 400yds) on pretty rough pavement to T1 so I am sure it was not super fast if the times were available.
I had gloves and a top in the bag, but I decided to just go with my suit that I had under the wetsuit.

nothing really
Bike
  • 2h 39m 16s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.10 mile/hr
Comments:

I planned on backing off on the bike because of my overall lack of training. i really wanted to try and enjoy it. I tried to acknowledge anybody who cheered for me, and I thanked all the volunteers and police, joked with a guy at the turn around when I was meant to turn in front of him but I turned behind him and then I gave a shout out to the wheelchair athlete going up the other side of 421.
My time is from my computer and includes a 1 min stop because I had to take a tinkle Veej. I started to feel a little strain just after 40mi and once back on 421 with about 15mi to go I was really feeling the headwind so I tried to back off instead of trying to grind into the wind. This was part of the reason for stopping for a pee even though I could of held it till T2. I told myself you are just trying to keep it chilled so stopping will just help you keep it in check. I guess I manged to stay under control because I pretty much kept my wattage the same. 198w for 1st 36 miles and 195w for last 20mi although my speed went from 21.8 in 1st 36mi down to 20.3mph for last 20

I think in retrospect I rode a smart race although putting in more volume and more race specific training is definitely needed.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

I was not sure how long the road into T2 was so I actually got my feet out of my shoes coming down the last bridge, so I had to ride about a 1/4 mile with my feet on top of my shoes

nothing
Run
  • 1h 25m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew there was a a BIG climb at 3/4 mile so I really told myself to go slow. i wanted to make sure I ran a slow 1st mile. I hit mile 1 in 7:33 so I was happy enough that it was slow enough. There was another climb at 1.5mi so again I just got myself to back off although I got to 2mi in 14:03 so that was a 6:30 2nd mile. I just kept telling myself to chill until the turn around and then I could try and stretch it out a little. I was catching some people and was going pretty good. I hit halfway in 43 flat and started home. My quads started to hurt around 8mi, felt like someone had hit both of them with a hammer, I could feel a blister on my right foot as well, just tried to keep it going. Had a little run in with a motorist crossing the draw bridge with about 1.5mi to run. I guess she no longer wanted to be in traffic so just threw her car into a u-turn and stopped when I got my hands on her hood, needless to say she heard from me and I have to admit I tried my damndest to dent her hood by beating on it with both hands.
With 1mi to run, at the last water station, someone said you can catch that guy. I looked up and saw someone about 200yds in front of me. I thought back to about mile 37 of the bike when a pack of 6,who might have might not have been riding super legal, past me and at the time I thought I am going to run you b****es down, well it was that time (I have no idea if this guy was part of that 6 pack). I worked up the big ass hill over the bridge and caught him before the top. As I past him I looked at his calf and he was in my age group. As I turned onto the battleship rode I zipped my trisuit up in case someone was there to take a pic and I kept it going (gotta try to look good at the finish). Just before I made the left turn onto the grass in the finish chute, a car tried to pull out and just about took me out. I scream in his open window as do about 5 spectators. I avoid my 2nd, in the last 2 miles, run in's with a car. One of the spectators, Rick Katouf, holds his hand up to high 5 me and says that has to be the best move of the day. I get to the finish and see my overall time and am a little shocked. I was only looking at my run time on my watch so I totally did not think I had come close to 4:34.
I negative split the run 43:00 1st half 42:17 2nd half

Like all the other legs train. I squeezed 3 10 milers in to the last 3 weeks of training but other than that I was no where close to running enough.
On the day I think I ran great and I left it all out there, but in a sensible way.
Post race
Warm down:

sit under a tree

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just lack of training

Event comments:

Great race. I am just iffy that it is so late in the year because it seems like the weather is a bit of a gamble although it turned out perfect for us on the day.

Last updated: 2009-02-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:39 | 2078 yards | 01m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/80
Overall: 0/550
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex Full
Course: Straight down Banks channel then left to marina
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:39:16 | 56 miles | 21.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/80
Overall: 0/550
Wind: Some
Course: Flat 1 loop/out and back course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:25:17 | 13.1 miles | 06m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/80
Overall: 2/550
Performance:
Course: Out and back . Mostly flat with 6 pretty stiff climbs
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-11-09 5:19 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: Beach to Battleship HIM

2009-11-09 5:30 PM
in reply to: #2505669

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Beach to Battleship HIM
Great race - smoking fast for not much training! And 1s place too boot. Did you stick around for the awards?
2009-11-09 5:35 PM

User image

Expert
NoVA
That's a smokin half!!!  Great run---I totally understand that I'm gonna run them down mentality (so what if they weren't the drafting packWink). 
2009-11-09 5:41 PM
in reply to: #2505683

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Carol

I stayed around hoping to catch Harold finish, then as we decided to get in the line for the taxi, they said they were having the awards. I looked at the provisional results and saw that I was 8th (7th OA men. Gail Katouf beat me) and that I was 2nd AG, but the guy who was ahead of me was top 5 so I was given 1st in AG. Got the teak award which was very cool.
2009-11-10 8:58 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Blazing fast run! And only your 3rd race? Yikes!

Congrats on a huge day..
2009-11-10 6:57 PM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Man, very impressive report and especially the inten and will to catch that guy!  Sorry we missed each other, I came in the next day I think based on that lightnig speed run you had.  man, those cars were out for you.  I was almost hit at Mile 2 on the bike, lady came into my lane stopped and turned in front of me and I had to slam on brakes and ran into ditch, kept going and thanks her.  But seriously awesome day out there man, your killed it!

2009-11-10 9:02 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh
nice report daryn...and great finish with little prep...

I can only hope to perform that well next year ...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach to Battleship HIM Rss Feed