United States
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 22m 13s
Overall Rank = 146/388
Age Group = Clyde 40+
Age Group Rank = 1/11
Pre-race routine:

Normal stuff for Silverman. Pack a day earlier and take my gear and bike down to T1 the day before the race.

The unusual problem I had this year is that they didn't have a rack for my bike! The row was supposed to hold racers #681-700 and they only had 6 spots and they were all filled. I ended up leaning the bike against a table and talked to a volunteer and mentioned that if they bring in additional racks, to put my bike in the proper spot.

Needless to say, I was a bit worried about 5k worth of race machine and wheels getting knocked or blown over or it getting misplaced... The worry was for naught, because another 12 bikes showed up that needed a spot, they brought in additional racks, and put my baby where it needed to be.

Let me add that my goal for this year was to finish in 6 hours and put myself in a position to perhaps win my division (based on last year's times)
Event warmup:

Typcial pre-race stuff. Light meal 3 hours in advance, don the wetsuit, and swim for 100-200 yards to make sure the body didn't forget how to do it.
Swim
  • 36m 5s
  • 2100 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim. Set a personal best at this distance for a swim split and I felt more refreshed out of the water than in the past. It was a little brutal at first. There was a real melee for the first 400-500 yards. I got kicked and elbowed a lot. I'm used to that, but this time it seemed to go on longer than normal and I started to get a little tired of it.

I forgot my normal swim goggles at home somehow so had to use my spare. The right eye started leaking so I had to swim with one eye closed for just about the entire race. I didn't want to take the time to clear it. Not a bid deal though...
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 02m 51s
Comments:

Good transition. I probably spent a little too much time trying to stuff my wetsuit into my transition bag before a volunteer said not to worry and they would do it.

I was fastest in my division in T1 - which will make a difference in the end. Transitions CAN make a difference, even in a long race.
Bike
  • 3h 21m 44s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.66 mile/hr
Comments:

I noticed right out of T1 that my HRM was not working so I was going to have to go by feel for this ride, which was fine. I knew what I should do.

I knew that I needed to hammer the bike if I was going to hit my 6 hour mark, so I pushed. I pushed hard. I knew full well, that I was risking trashing my legs, but I was willing to take that chance. I was hoping that the under race conditions, my body would 'step up' and I would be able to survive the run with a respectable time. If I eased up on the bike, I had no chance to hit 6 hours.

I can tell that hills are tough (but getting easier!). I would fly past people on the downhills and flats just to get reabsorbed on the longer climbs. Did I mention that I dislike hills?

As a side note, I was able to stay in the big chain ring for 95% of the ride! I never thought I could do that at Lake Mead with all the rollers.

Nutrition was decent enough I guess. 2.5 bottles of GE and a bottle of water over the 3+ hours.

Oh, yeah, it needs repeating. I dislike hills.

Pace myself better.
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Again, far the fastest in my division which paid off.
Run
  • 2h 23m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Plain and simple, I lost it... Same old story. My risk taking on the bike cost me.

I started the run at just over 4 hours. EXACTLY where I wanted to be to give myself a chance for a 6 hour HIM. I know I could turn in a sub 2 hour half mary under normal conditions.

After 2 miles, I was looking ok with 9:00/mile splits, but then the road tilted up and I started to crack. I knew my dreams of a 6 hour HIM were at risk when I actually needed to walk a bit during miles 3 and 4. I was just exhausted and things didn't get any better.

I was still at a 10:00/mile average pace for the first 6 miles, and that was my new goal - to keep that 10:00/mi pace. But the walks came more frequently. Soon, I was probably walking once every 3 minutes for about 15-20 seconds each time. Now, I knew my 10:00/mile pace was in jeopardy and I thought my chances to podium were gone.

At mile 10, my only goal was to finish the race. I could barely keep a jog going. I would stop to walk, and get light headed and tad dizzy. BUT, I took some satisfaction in knowing that even if I walked the rest of it out, I would still set a HIM PR. But I was disappointed with knowing my hopes of a 6 hour HIM and podium were dashed.

The entire time I was getting passed left and right. I calculated that I lost 30 spots overall during the run. It was frustrating and embarrassing.

I remember seeing a big guy with a "43" on his calf in front of me with about 0.15 miles to go out of the 70.3. I told myself, that I was going to get ahead of at least ONE clydesdale in my division (I assumed he was in my division). So I picked it up enough to pass him and get a 50-100 yard lead (I kept checking).

I took one last 10 second walk break then tried to look good running down the finishing chute and across the finish line (got to take a good picture!)

In the end, I had a PR for a HIM run split, but still felt like I fell apart.

Pacing.
Post race
Warm down:

Photos, sit down, and eat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pacing or nutrition.

Event comments:

I have to admit, I was pretty disapointed with my results. I was sort of sulking about it the entire next day and skipped the awards ceremony. Why go? I also even had thoughts of giving up 'racing'. I thought that maybe I would do the events, but just take it easy and enjoy the race more. Why push SO hard, go through SO much pain, for crappy results? I was so disapointed with not hitting my 6 hour goal. I know it was lofty, but achievable.

I took a little consolation knowing that I improved my Silverman half time by about an hour from two years ago and also set a HIM PR by 34 minutes, but not much.

Now the interesting part. Several people congratulated my on my "1st" place. I was like "huh? Impossible". Well I checked my results and sure enough, squeeked out a first place! I was, and still am, shocked. That guy that I passed with less than 0.2 miles to go? Was leading my division. I got him by 44 seconds. My run ended up being tops in my division, and I made up more than 44 seconds in my transitions alone...

I will admit, taking first took some of the sting out of my less than stellar performance, but there still is a nagging feeling of not meeting my goals. But it's a tough course, and others had a tough time too.

I used to be a triathlete who could not bike, but now it seems that I am a triathlete who can't run. I guess I should thank all my attention to the bike this year at the cost of neglecting running a bit.

I STILL don't feel like I have pulled off a good HIM. In fact, I'm going to say that doing an HIM is HARDER than an IM.

I need to find a flat fast course, and show my metal there... I know I could compete.

Last updated: 2009-09-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:05 | 2100 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 91/388
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Sleeve
Course: Silverman Half course at Lake Mead
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:51
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:21:44 | 56 miles | 16.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 130/388
Wind: Little
Course: Silverman Half at Lake Mead and Henderson
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:23:30 | 13.1 miles | 10m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 203/388
Performance: Below average
Course: Silverman Half in Henderson
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-11-10 1:17 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Silverman - Half Iron

2009-11-10 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2507154

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: RE: Silverman - Half Iron
great race..  regardless of how you felt out there, you were racing of course you felt like dog doo.

(  Come do Lonestar in Galvaston, that is as flat as it gets. )

congrats on 1st place, and a new PR
2009-11-10 1:24 PM

Aw, sorry you were disappointed in your time - but you won your AG! And you got a PR. That's good, right?! I'm sorry you didn't stay to get your award. Besides, this is a really hard course, from what I can tell from watching last year's coverage on TV. I'm sure there are some flat HIMs around, though the only ones I know of are on the East Coast (Eagleman being probably the only race worth flying that far for).

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-11-10 1:24 PM
2009-11-10 1:35 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California

I am struggling to find the silver lining in my own race, so I feel your pain.  But in my opinion you still turned in a very good result, so try not to be TOO disappointed. 

2009-11-10 4:15 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Alright, 'Kido, bringing home the hardware!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Is the bike course tough/hilly?

2009-11-10 6:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
Akido,

Stop beating yourself up, there's a reason its called the most grueling Triathlon in the world .
You did great, and next year your going to do better

2009-11-11 12:05 PM

User image

Most of us are our own worst critics.

Well done!!

A flat course favors us bigger guys I think, but the challenge of SilvermAn priceless.

Enjoy your recovery week Jimbo

2009-11-12 9:12 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Congratulations on your division win and your PR!  Even though there are facets in which you want to improve, you'll take them and have the incentive to make improvements next season.  You had a GREAT year in '09.  If you want to get your 6 hr HIM, come to the Valley and do Soma - nice and flat! 

2009-11-13 6:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Lowestoft, England

Stop beating yourself up.  PR and division win.  I can only dream of winning my AG in any race let alone one of the toughest HIM in the world.

Congratulations and enjoy your recovery.

2009-11-14 9:20 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Way to take the podium!!!
2009-11-23 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Congratulations.  I too am always trying to reconcile how happy I feel about my races based on doing well by many standards, but not meeting my goal time.  I guess that at least helps us train harder.

Good job Jim.

2009-12-04 2:36 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Congrats on wining your AG!!!! AWESOME!!!!  I am considering this half in 2010....yikes!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silverman - Half Iron Rss Feed