Ironman North America
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 51m 21s
Overall Rank = 854/2880
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 158/482
Pre-race routine:

woke up 4:20am ate a bowl of cereal, used the restroom, got dress took my bags and drove with my brother and wife to the bus pick up. Rode the bus to the special needs drop spots, then headed into transistion to fill water bottles, pump tires, place gels
Event warmup:

walking and talking, I need to save all the energy I can at this point.
Swim
  • 1h 13m 53s
  • 4156 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was planning on starting on the buoy line then swimming inside the buoys. At the meeting they said the current was flowing toward the buoys and to stay outside of them. So I lined up about 50 yards west of the buoy line that was a mistake. I never got hit hard but I did get hit 800 of the 900m to the first buoy. I could only stroke out maybe 100 meter, the rest was head out of the water, people crossing in front, someone constantly having their hands on my feet or legs, I even had someone wrap around so that their inside elbow was around my neck like you were giving someone a nuggy. What a joke that wasn't swimming it was wrestling in the water. Anyway, after the first turn I swim inside the buoys and this was much better. The waves were big and made it difficult to see the buoys, but I stayed online well rounded the buoy and headed back to the beach once again inside the buoy line. I had clear, clean water at this point and tried to jump on a couple feet to draft. I felt a sting on my nose that lasted about 3 seconds and another on my foot a couple minutes later, as I keep swimming I saw the jellyfish that were floating around just like the practice swim a few days before, I’m sure that is what got me. I’m really glad I had a wetsuit on, if they would have been hitting my body that would have been very uncomfortable. Got to the beach saw 34 something on the clock and was amazed. Took a glass off water and headed back out for lap number 2. Once again it was a little rough with people all around, but not as bad this time, the current seem to be flowing west which made staying on the buoy line a little tougher. I made it around without any real problems and seem to be moving well. The water was a little rough and the waves were picking up making the second lap pretty tough. I finally made it to the sand bar and stood up and saw 1:12 on the clock and was pleased with that time, crossed the mat in 1:13:53. Goal time was 1:10-1:15 Last IM time 1:18:37
What would you do differently?:

Line up at the buoy line and swim inside them and get more to the front I was faster than a lot of the people around me, but could not get in good swimming stroke position
Transition 1
  • 09m 53s
Comments:

T1 Changed this year and was longer, I moved at a good pace, not in any hurry but not taking my time either.

nothing moved as I wanted
Bike
  • 5h 35m 30s
  • 112 miles
  • 20.03 mile/hr
Comments:

I was going to bike by the way I felt. Once I started I noticed right away the wind was at my back and tried to just hold it around 22mph. I was on the left I think the whole stretch of front beach road, once we turned I just keep going at comfortable pace, I wanted to get in a solid start since I could tell I would be facing the wind for a good 30 miles or so. Once we turned I could feel the wind, but it wasn’t that bad, I guess all the training and complaining about the wind finally paid dividends. At the 1 hour mark I was at 21.8 miles and new I was off to a good start. The winds slowed me a bit; this is when the pelotons began to show up. I was on the white line with a rider about 15 yards in front of me when out of no where a pack of about 25 bikes come up beside me. We came to a climb and they all slowed, it was crazy I looked behind me there were 3 bikes on my wheel, it was 3 deep to my side and front left side you couldn’t go anywhere. This really gets me mad and I don’t understand how people can do that, but there are the ones that have to live with it, anyway we come to a water stop and as a couple of them move to my right it gave me a chance to move out to the left not more than 5 seconds later I hear a pop two guys ran into each other and went down hard. It did not sound good at all, I keep going, and the water stop and wreck broke the cheaters up. In 2007 a group went by me and wrecked about a half mile in front of me about 7 of them, I guess they never learn. Sorry about that anyway, I averaged 18.9 mph into the wind and the few rollers on the course. The next 20 miles I averaged 20.8mph but was starting to experience some cramping in the groin area and calves. I started a steady diet of endurolytes and Gatorade endurance. I never noticed much sweating at all, but my arms were just white from salt. We turned on a small road heading north and it was rough, I was just praying for no flats or mechanical problems. As we were heading to 388 I had a group of 5 guys in a pace line and I yelled at them, about 1 minute latter the race official went by and road up to him and gave him a red card, crazy thing he still stayed on the guys wheel after they left unbelievable. Turning onto 388 was hell, rough road, wind in the face, and legs cramping not a good combo at least it was only 3.5 miles thorough this section I averaged 17.8. I made the turn around and turn on as much power as I could without cramping I averaged 20.8 for the final 39 miles, which I was alone most of the ride very few people around which was kind of weird but nice. I keep hearing a noise coming from my bike like something was rubbing but didn’t see anything, when I took my bike out of transition the back wheel was rubbing the brake which I’m sure didn’t help my ride, it might have moved over on the rough sections where I hit some big bumps. Goal: 5:30 Time 5:35 Last time 5:48
Took 5 gels, 900 calories of Carbo Pro mixed with G2, 9 shot blocks, lots of water and about 36 oz of Gatorade Endurance 8- Endurolytes, 4 anti fatigue caps

not much I went as fast as I could go without blowing up, I probably could have taking another 10-15 minutes off my time, but I might not have been able to run at all
Transition 2
  • 06m 56s
Comments:

got off the bike, volunteer grab my bike, and another handed me my bag. Once in T2 a volunteer helped me with my gear and put unwanted items back into the bag. This was very nice made you feel like a pro. Moved as best as I could.

nothing went as planned
Run
  • 4h 45m 9s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty good to start the run, I was a little worried about the cramps I had on the bike and hoped they would not show up on the run. The first aid station I had to use the port-o-let which is a good sign that I was hydrated. I ran well at first then started to walk the aid stations. I knew I had to run a 3:54 to break 11 hours and it was going to very hard for me to do. After mile 4 I knew that wasn’t going to happen, but I was going to break 12 hours as long as I took it easy. I decided to run about 8 minute miles and walk the aid stations and after for about a minute or two. This worked well my legs were ready to lock up no matter how much salt, water, or Gatorade I took. I really never labored cardiovascular wise at all, but my legs were feeling it, I was starting to cramp on both sides of the shin bone and my left foot felt like it was on fire by mile 20. I stuck to the walk a little and run a mile plan and it worked. I got to mile 25 and decided to go for it and just ran a little under 8 minute pace, I figure if I lock up now or close I could still walk it in and finish under 12. I never slowed and felt great, finished strong and with a smile.
Goal 4:00-4:30 time 4:45 last time 6:39 took 2 gels, 4 cups of broth, 3 cokes, water or Gatorade at every aid station about 6 oz, and a few pretzels.

take in more salt on the bike, and not walk as long during the aid stations
Post race
Warm down:

walk to the pizza tent

What limited your ability to perform faster:

water traffic and little rough, 30 miles of headwind, cramps

Event comments:

This will be my last IM, I had a good time but overall don't get the joy that I do when doing shorter races. I didn't find swimming with that many people fun, after 80 miles on the bike it becomes a task not fun, and running a marathon after all that is pure hell. I really did enjoy the experience and atomosphere, the people are great and volunteer are second to none. I was a little disappointed that they did not give us a results paper, DVD highlight, and finisher certificate for what you pay they don't need to start cutting back the goodies. I will be back as a volunteer or spectator because it's just too much fun to be around. I did PR by 2 hours and 9 minutes.

Last updated: 2008-11-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:13:53 | 4156 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 156/482
Overall: 888/2880
Performance: Average
35:00 first lap/38:35 second lap
Suit: 2XU elite full sleeve
Course: start from the beach straight out 900m turn left 150m turn left again then 900 back to the beach short run on the sand then do it again
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:53
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:35:30 | 112 miles | 20.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 154/482
Overall: 733/2880
Performance: Good
laps average every 10 miles 21.4/22.0/19.9/18.5/18.4/21.2 56 miles 2:47:30 21.2/20.3/17.8/20.7/21.2/20.7/18.2
Wind: Headwind
Course: big loop going all directions
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 88
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 06:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:45:09 | 26.2 miles | 10m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 182/482
Overall: 1050/2880
Performance: Below average
miles 905/838/850/1053/947/853/934/1059/1142/1051/1120/1233/1217/ 13.1 2:19 1123/1200/1111/1103/1115/1206/1229/1016/1252/1240/1222/813
Course: out and back flat through neighborhoods and St. Andrews state park
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-11-10 4:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Russiaville, IN
Subject: Ironman Florida

2009-11-11 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2507694

User image

Veteran
Eastern WA
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida
nice report, bummer about the peletons, but kudos for sticking to your guns and not joining the packs.

congrats on the amazing pr, and adjusting your goals on the fly (sub 11 vs sub 12)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Florida Rss Feed