United States
Ironman North America
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 36m 30s
Overall Rank = 1991/2423
Age Group = W40-44
Age Group Rank = 93/123
Pre-race routine:

Anyone who visits my blog knows I race Ironman distance to participate in the Janus Charity Challenge to raise money for cancer research. Too many names, too many friends. My friend Joan Miller who I refer to as PT lady in my blog was recently diagnosed with bilteral breast cancer. She is an amazing person and athlete. A blackbelt in karate and age group world champion she is probably the fittest person I know. I dedicate this ironan race to her as she begins her batle with cancer.

PRE-RACE DAYS: Well we got there on Weds which I HIGHLY reccomend because I just walked in and out of registration in like 2 minutes. Drive up was uneventful and we got checked in and made a walmart run. KathyG arrived a mess as she left her cell phone behind on the plane and was trying to get it fed exed to the condo but its hard to do without a phone.

Up Thursday am to meet BTers at 9am at the gatorade swim for a little loop de loo. That went well then back to the condo for showers etc and Kathy and I went over to the designted BT lunch spot. It ended up being just me Kathy Michelle (mburkhart) and her mom which actually was awesome. Michelle and her mom are super cool and we had a great visit. Michelles daughter is on So you think you can dance (Elenore) so everyone needs to watch and vote for her!!!! Kathy and I did a little shopping and went back to the condo. Michelle and her mom came over for dinner which my parents LOVED because they are HUGE SYTYCD fans.

Friday another little swim and signed up for 2010....yes I am a glutton for punishment!!! A little bike ride and turned my stuff in. Saw Wendi and Jeff and took a little nap. Jen came in YAY !!! BT dinner at the piza place and early to bed.

RACE DAY: Plan was to get up at 4.......got up a little early but I got a solid 7 hours of sleep. had a DC and some ceral then Kathy and I walked down to transition which opened at 4:30. She dropped my SN bags off for me and I got marked and set my bike up. We went back to the condo. I dont do well in nervous chaos so this is the best thing for me. I wrote for Joan on my hand and leg to remember why I was out there. Ate some vanilla oreos which were my snack of choice all day, got my wetsuit on and walked down the beach to the swim start around 6 am.

We found a quiet place to sit and wait. Went into the corral around 6:45 and seeded myself the same way I did last year. Pros start, national anthem CANNON.
Event warmup:

The swim is the warmup. I did walk about 1.5 miles before hand,
Swim
  • 1h 17m 23s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Seeded myself EXACTLY as I did last year which worked out famously....but this year not so much. It was just a slugfest. I think I had contact about 95% of the swim both loops. This year there were 300 more participants...and of the ~2500 people participating only about 600 were women. First leg first loop everyone nice and polite but could not swim much plus fighting current out. Made the turn and it was rough across the top. Still hard to swim. Second turn and current was a slight help but the waves were kicking up. I stood up in knee deep water and looked at my watch 35 minutes........not stellar but I'll take it. Thing is then I had to schelp another 50 yards OUT of the water the up the beach, over the timing mat, grab some water, back down the beach.

Getting in the second loop was really hard. They had us take it at a diagonal but between the surf and the low tide it was difficult. I easily spent 6-7 minutes getting out and back into the water. Then the second loop......D*MN just as much contact...fight the current...what would Morag tell me? KICK KICK KICK..........only thing that really helped me make progress. By this time the waves were probably about 4 feet. I turned my head and a wave just CRASHED into my face and I took in a huge amount of water. I coughed and spttered the all the way to the turn. STILL just as congested across the top....second turn I'm still getting beat up...the last leg there was teh guy I have dubbed RUDE DUDE. Rude dude I think did not want to get chicked. I fought with him for 2 buoys. I'd try to passs to one side he would block I'd go to the other side he would block, I'd sprint past and he would catch up and hit me. Finally I just grabbed his hip and pushed him away.

After I got rid of rude dude I swam in just fine. Stood up and saw 1:16....Honestly not bad all in all. Took 2 minutes almost to get to the timing mat. Funny thing is lastyear when I did the press conference I predicted my swim time as 1:17

2006 1:26:48 62/91 1595/2192
2008 1:12:50 34/99 959/2271
What would you do differently?:

Take boxing lessons? Seed myself more aggressively? I never got into a good rhythm due to the amount of people around me. I practically had no clear water at all the entire swim. Its just incredibly hard to swim efficently in a wall of people. I can say in all honesty that I swam the absolute best I could in the circumstances. I navigated well, I just could not get clear and kept getting hit.
Transition 1
  • 08m 16s
Comments:

Ran up the sand and over the timing mat. The beach just seemed like a hike this year. Got stripped, saw Wendi snapping pictures on the way up to transition. Got my bag and ran inside to do my thing. Saw Sherri and gave her a big wet hug, saw Jen and Kathy. Kathy was my helper :) Told her I did the swim in 1:16 ish and asked her to text Morag (my swim coach) Tried to dry off and get my arm warmers and shirt on. Sprayed sunscreen on, shoes glasses helmet off I go.

2006 9:15
2008 6:22

Not much. It was a new set up but I like it better inside. It was a schlep to get inside and again to my bike but not much I could do.
Bike
  • 6h 16m 1s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Off we go for a nice bike ride on my new steed :) I love my new bike. It performed admirably. We started off down Thomas drive and waved to my parents. Onto Front beach road and I'm CRUISING......which I kind of thought was a bad thing because if Ihad tailwind there then I would have headwind on the way home. Up over the bridge. I was doing really well the first hour and averaged over 19MPH. Turned into some head wind but was still doing OK the second hour and at 2 hours was averaging about 18.5 MPH. I was thinking a lot of Christine. This should have been her year to race here. Tried hard not to cry. I was emotional all day. I was also snotty the whole ride. I think I blew 10% of my body weight off in snot. Luckily the arm warmers worked well as tissues.

There were people dafting but not the HUGE peletons of last year and I think USAT did a tremendously better job policing it all than they did last year. TONS of people at the pelnatly tents so well done USAT.

Third hour about did me in. This was where the hills on the course are and where some of the worst headwind was. I was thinking Gee maybe I should do a different race next year....maybe I should do CDA AND IMFL next year. Um yeah right now a few days post race NO WAY.

This was about where I encountered Soledad the cheater (STC). STC was around me for the next 90 minutes or so and she was blatently drafting. I saw her in 3 different packs and then they must have dropped her because I would pass her til she found someone elses wheel to suck. When we turned onto 231 I dropped her yet again then she drafted by me again got dropped and I passed her sorry cheating butt for good. Spotted Michelle's (trainergirlmick) friend #62 and we chatted for a little while til he dropped me.

Stopped at SN and got my fun food then turned onto 231. Made up some good time on 231 nice fast biking but that headwind had shot my average speed into the toilet. At this point my hopes of a sub 6 hour bike were pretty much dashed and I was thinking 6:15ish.

Onto Camp Flowers road and still making pretty good time til we turned into some more wind. I had blown thru my accelerade faster than I thought I would so I was just using water for fluids. I was refilling my aerobottle and the entire thing just spilled out on the ground. GREAT. Somehow the top part had a leak and only the bottom would hold fluid. AWESOME.

Onto the out and back which quite frankly just plain SUCKED. The worst headwind of the day. Made the turn around and stopped for a minute at the next aide station. I needed to pee but was unwilling to stand in line. Got another bottle of water and ate my rice krispie treat. It just felt exceptionally good to stop pedaling even for a minute.

Next part was actually a fun section of the bike. Nice little tailwind on newly paved road. Was leap frogging a guy for a long time so I passed him and said "Gee we have only passed each other like a dozen times".....He said "Hey you are Socks".....It was Chef Gary who I met out on Van Fleet once so we chatted for a bit and he left me when I stopped at the next aide station and FINALLY no line at the porta potty woohoo. Re-filled the non leaking part of my aerobottle and got a bottle of gatorade and another water.

At this point I was kind of thinking wher the F*** is that bridge I'm ready to be DONE!!!...then we turned and there it was WHEW. Only a few more miles. Last 10 miles were headwindy...esp the last 7-8. I was trying so hard to stay aero but my neck and upper back were in a spasm. Did the best I could. FINALLY I could see the end was near THANK GOD. Into the cheering crowds and hand off the bike WOOHOO I was really hoping for sub 6 hours this year but I can say I did my very best with what I had and what mother nature handed me on that day,

I had a lot of interesting thoughts during the ride. I thought a lot of Christine. This should have been her day to race and it made me sad. I had a pink breast cancer bracelet and thought of Terri. I talked to both of them to please send me a litle tailwind. I'd look at my hand and think of Joan and how she would love it when I was hammering down 231 at 23 MPH. I drew strength from them all and tried to hang tough and pick it up a notch.

2006 7:04:42 66/91 2103/2192
2008 6:07:17 48/99 1409/2271

Be lighter. Train in more wind? I think I nailed my nutrition and despite the aero bottle fiasco I did fine with fluids. Took 2 lava salts an hour. Food was 2 servings accelerade 480, 4 gels 360, 1/2 banana, rice krispie treat 80, about 10 pieces of licorace 750 1/2 a gatorade, lots of water but not sure how much ended up on the ground,
Transition 2
  • 05m 51s
Comments:

Well its kind of sad this was the best part of my race. Ran into the tent and gave Sherri a sweaty hug. Saw Jen and Kathy and Kathy about body chucked some other volunteer out of the way to help me. She was totally awesome tho and I ROCKED T2. Jen was like an angel out of heaven and gave me a cold diet coke. OMG that was so good. Washed my face and legs. I had a tooth brush and toothpaste but didn't need it. Socks shoes hat long sleeved shirt around my waist. Kathy mixed my accelerade for me. I was snotty the while bike so I stopped on my way out to blow my nose. Overall a most excellent T2. Thanks to Kathy Jen and Sherri for helping everyone all day!!!
2006 6:42
2008 7:20

Nada had the bestest helpers ever :)
Run
  • 6h 48m 41s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 15m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Well because my neck and upper back were such a mess when I started out I felt kind of dizzy and lightheaded. They changed the course some this year due to the sidewalk being torn up I guess, so after you came out of transition you ran up the street a bit and I got too see my parents and Wendi et all. Ran down the street and aside from the dizziness didn't feel too bad. Did a little walk run and managed the first mile in 11:27 which is really good for esp as I walked 1/2 of it. Left me quite optimistic. Saw B&B and got big hugs :)

Both feet were numb from pounding into the wind. Second mile it felt like there was a knife in my right hamstring and was much slower...CRAP. I was leap frogging a guy and he said "I think you and I are going to be seeing a lot of each other" I said "Yeah this is where you tell me this is your second loop" He just laughed. I introduced myself and he said his name was CJ. Back and forth we went. He said he was having stomach troubles so I gave him my tumms as I didn't need them. Must have worked because after about 12 miles he took off and I never saw him again.

After 5 miles or so the hammy quieted down. I could feel my left foot after 5 miles and mostly the left after 7. Was doing a random run walk thing picking out objects to run to. Into the park which was different this year. No out and back just a loop. Met a guy with AFOs on and asked him why he had a foot drop. We chatted about that and he said he didn't want to mess up my plan and he was doing a 2 minute run 1 minute walk. I laughed beacue the only plan I had was to try and run as much as I possibly could. They had cones in the park and I was on a run 3 cones walk one plan at the time. I told him no worries..he kicked my butt too.....oh yeah there was a one legged guy who was roughly 10 miles in front of me who also kicked my butt.

I honestly thought the first loop would NEVER END. I was looking for Michelle and Melissa. Saw Michelle when she was about 2-3 miles into her run. I was worried Melissa did not make the bike cut off and so hoping to see her out on the run. Alas it was not her day. Only good thing about the first loop it was it was longer than the second loop so the second loop woulde short. At least that was what I was telling myself.

They had some cute aide stations. A 70s theme and the MASH unit were the cutest and I picked up a glow stick there. This year it was dark earlier because daylight savings started the weekend before and sunset was like at 5pm. That messed with my head some. My hip wasn't hurting too bad and I was running as much as I could. Back thru the drunk people and back into the crowd. Across the turn around and didnt' see anyone which worried me in that I didn't want my parents to be worried because they didn't see me. At any rate I had my NICE COLD DIET COKE in SN...OMG it was so freaking GOOD!!!! I poured it in my hand held and it was a little slice of heaven.

RUn back down the street thru the drunk people. My left calf would kind of lock up at times. I would look at teh for Joan on my hand and leg and that became my mantra "for Joan for Joan for Joan" Just keep going. Everything pretty much hurt. Balls of my feet were blisters. For Joan For Joan For Joan.

I walked for a good while and then I was able to run quite a bit and was thinking if I were a VERY good girl I might just pull out a PB on this stoopid marathon but then I went into the park which was my undoing. There wasa bout a mile and a half stretch with absolutely NO LIGHT and I mean pitch black which was a change from the previous 2 years I did this race. I honestly was afraid to run because my legs felt like crappolla and I was scared I would face plant which would have been very bad.

I was trying to speed walk as best I could which was actually working out pretty well for me. I was walking near some guys who were all doom and gloom whining and I was all little suzy sunshine. We get to mile 20 and I throw my arms up and say "WOO HOO only a 10K left you can do that in your sleep" to which one of the guys replied "You are WAY too positive and happy for this point in the race" Heh. Positive got me to the line before them :)

Ok just a 10K no sweat. by the time I could see again it was REALLY hard to run again. I managed some for the next few miles but really the last 5K was a huge sufferest. My heart and me head wanted to run BADLY but my legs were having none of it. I got to the MASH themed aide staion and there was this little boy maybe 10 head to toe fatigues, helmet, fake rifle over his sholuder standing at attention with a green glow stick on his helmet holding out a cup and he says "Water ma'am" OMG he was so darn cute I said Yes thank you very much and took it even tho I didn't want or need it.

My hip was killing me. Well really everything hurt but the hip was the rate limiting factor. I made the decision that I would rather be slower than have another stress fracture in my hip. It wasn't like even on my best day I would place or KQ and in my world and for my life its not worth it.

Saw Betsy about a mile out and she walked with me a bit. The last 1/2 mile there are TONS of spectators and you can just totally feed off the energy. I ran most of it high fiving anyone with a hand out and this race I actually REMEMBER it all. It was fantastic. I ran into the shoot and there was a gy who had sprinted by me and then he just stopped so I went by him to finish. I actully HEARD my name this time.....music nope dont' know what was playing. I was loving the crowd tho

2006 7:24:37 87/91 2103/2192
2008 6:25:17 91/99 2027/2271

Not be injured. Be lighter. Leg transplant.
Post race
Warm down:

Kathy caught me at the finish and Bridget gave me my medal......I'm a lucky girl to have my friends at the finish. Did the post race stuff and got a massage. I know the guy who runs the massage tent so I had him and another person working on me together which ROCKED. Thanks Pete :) Got my warm clothes on grabbed some pizza cause I was starving and found the parents.........then the fun began. My dad parked in a tow away zone and got towed.......it would have been funny if it didn't mean I had to walk about a mile back after the race. DEFINATELY my slowest mile of the day :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too heavy too injured.

Event comments:

2006 16:12:12 2031/2192
2008 13:59:04 1790/2271
2009 14:36:30 1991/2423

Honestly I think we all forget sometimes how lucky we are to be able to do this crazy sport. Its easy to get caught up in times and paces etc. I'm not the most gifted athlete out there but I have a lot of heart and I try my best and grind it out everytime I train or race. I'm thankful I am healthy enough to have the gift of being able to race. This too is for all those who wanted to race but never got the chance. We all travel a different path to get to the start line and you don't know what the journey of the person next to you was. We all need to respect that each time we toe the line.

This was not the race I hoped for but retrospectively I dont' know how I could have executed any better. I did the best I could with what I had on that day with the conditions mother nature threw at me. No regrets at all.

Thanks to my parents for being iron spectators and sherpas. I know its a long day for them. To Kathy for being the bestest changing tent helper ever and as always for her friendship. To Jen for helping sherpa and the diet coke in T2. To Wendi for her photography and cheerleading skills and B&B for cheering me on. To all the BTers out there and your families for making it a great day. To my swim coach Morag Betz of Blue wave swimming for helping me be the best swimmer I could be and putting up with the crazy triathlon people I drag to masters. AND to my tri coach Will Kirousis of Tri-Hard coaching for always believing in me even when I don't believe in myself and all his help with my sometimes topsy turvy life and managing to help me fit triathlon into it.

Last updated: 2008-11-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:17:23 | 4224 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 44/123
Overall: 1168/2423
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue 70
Course: 2 loops of a rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 08:16
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:16:01 | 112 miles | 17.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 51/123
Overall: 1530/2423
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and about thru rural florida
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
06:48:41 | 26.2 miles | 15m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 119/123
Overall: 2241/2423
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loop out and back. Different from the other 2 years I did the race because of the change in finish line position.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-11-10 6:39 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: Ironman Florida

2009-11-11 6:36 AM
in reply to: #2507845

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida
Awesome race and RR there sista girlfriend!!

notes to self:
take boxing lessons
2009-11-11 6:48 AM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Ahh Sue - I loved your race report...and the summary made me cry. It is amazing to be able to do an IM...at whatever time it takes. You rock!
2009-11-11 6:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
AWESOME job Sue, you should be so poud of yourself!  the day looked like an "interesting' one to say the least :-)
2009-11-11 7:37 AM

User image

Pro
MA
Whoop whoop 3x IM!!
I like the positiveness.  You rock!
2009-11-11 7:52 AM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
www.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.ws
Glittery texts by bigoo.ws

I am in awe of you........

2009-11-11 8:17 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Sue you totally rock.  I don't know how you do what you do!!!

Love the leg transplant idea - while at it can fin feet be included???
2009-11-11 8:26 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Congratulations on another great race.  You are an inspiration.

Mark

2009-11-11 8:40 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Way to go Sue!!! Amazing job during the swim. I would've cried and drowned. I don't like crowded places.

You are an amazing athlete! Congrats for the third time!
2009-11-11 11:15 AM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts

Three down, lots to go!  Loved the RR!  It's cool to read reports about races I've been to or done cuz it makes it so much easier to say "oh yeah...THAT part!".  Glad you had some good times out there...next year is another chance!

CONGRATS!  You are now a THREE-TIME IRONMAN...feels good!!

2009-11-11 12:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Great RR Sue! SO awesome to meet you, hope we get to race again togther soon sometime (after I speed up a little ) Get some well deserved R&R girlfriend!

2009-11-11 12:10 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Amen to all of that, sister.

Nice job.
2009-11-11 12:44 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Awesome job Sue. You did great on a day mother nature was trying to chop everyone down.
2009-11-11 4:54 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Great RR Sue.  I think you have the greatest gift an athlete can have-a compassionate and brave heart!!  Kudos to you on IM #3 and all you have done to raise funds for cancer research.
2009-11-11 5:06 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Great job Sue! The swim and bike sounded BRUTAL! As well as the run!

You are awesome to raise money for the charity by racing Ironman!!!! Thank you for all you do!

Congratulations Ironman!
2009-11-11 5:37 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Congrats on a fantastic day.  It was great to see you cross the finish line!

2009-11-11 5:53 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

A race that long deserves a well writen RR at least that long!! You continue to prove you are a wonderful person who cares for others and can push herself to the limit and back!! Nice job

2009-11-11 6:50 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

What a journey!! You completely rock

Honestly I think we all forget sometimes how lucky we are to be able to do this crazy sport. Its easy to get caught up in times and paces etc. I'm not the most gifted athlete out there but I have a lot of heart and I try my best and grind it out everytime I train or race. I'm thankful I am healthy enough to have the gift of being able to race. This too is for all those who wanted to race but never got the chance. We all travel a different path to get to the start line and you don't know what the journey of the person next to you was. We all need to respect that each time we toe the line.

So true.  I should have appreciated racing instead of stressing about it as now it has been taken away from me.  That is a really nice paragraph...thanks for sharing

2009-11-11 8:02 PM

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
Sue, ur a total inspiration.  The best thing anyone can have is fire (within), and you got it.  "I'm not the most gifted athlete out there but I have a lot of heart and I try my best and grind it out everytime I train or race".

You have stumbled a few times (more than desired) but you have also stand back on your two feet.  The comment above came from you, not any of those looking after you and cheering you on.  I gotta believe it!

I am an IM Wannabe, and your RR gives me tons of inspiration as well as some important tips.  I still don't know you but I think I do.  Even your comments about Christine, who attended the same church I do (Nativity) makes your words feel sooo close.

Keep rockin', keep kicking butt, keep getting up after the fall!  GOD Bless!
2009-11-11 8:08 PM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Great job Sue......I woulda freaked out with the swim waves this year!  Wish the dang race would sell out cause I am really planning to just do halfs next year while i get this gym off the ground.  I'll prolly see ya in 2011 there again unless I decide on Wisconsin. 
2009-11-11 8:32 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Great job Sue!! You sure have had a bunch of different FL weather for your IMs but conquered it each time! Way to raise money for cancer, to work through some of the pain, but preserve yourself too!! You are super!  oh, and it was great watching Kathy hug you at the finish line through the live feed!

2009-11-11 8:53 PM

Extreme Veteran
earth

Great RR Sue!  You are a VERY inspiring athlete!  Really.  Your guts, your grit, your passion to get up and train everyday, helping people along the way, raising money for cancer... these things are much more inspiring to me than the guy who comes in 1st, or finishes with ease.  You had a great support system this year at the race....Kathy, Jen, Michelle, Betsy.  Good stuff!

2009-11-12 4:45 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Sue,  What can i say that has not been said before???  You totally Rock!!!!! Very inspirational race report!!!  Congrats on a stellar performance!!!!  I am very proud of you, all your hard work payed big dividends!!!  Congrats again!!

2009-11-12 9:35 AM

User image

Elite
Way to go Sue!  It was nice to meet you and get some BT love out on the course!  Sounds like you really perservered over a suffer-fest of a marathon!
2009-11-12 1:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job out there, Sue. You are so right...you never can predict what the day will give you, but you always give it 100%. That is the spirit that makes the race. You are an inspiration and I look super forward to doing an IM with you and Britt maybe in 2011!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Florida Rss Feed  

of 2