Overall Rank = 292/388
Age Group = ClY M 30-39
Age Group Rank = 13/20
Swim
  • 32m 54s
  • 2100 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wow... did I position poorly for the start of this one... EASILY cost me 60 seconds or so... for the first 4-500 yds, it was a brutal fight for position and clean water... after that, the last 400 yds to buoy #1 and the rest of the way was nice and clean.... good drafting and only one bad decision to pass that brought me back into a pack of pushing etc. Overall, not bad for this day, but with the water conditions that we had, with a better start, I would have liked to see sub 30 on this one!
What would you do differently?:

Start smarter... move the left and focus on clean water vs. shortest distance.
Transition 1
  • 05m 17s
Comments:

took way too much time. Full change of clothes on this one, and likely not needed.

Swim in tri shorts, only switch out top.
Bike
  • 3h 57m 20s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.16 mile/hr
Comments:

everything was going great on this one... looking to come in under 3:30, which for me would be great on this course. I would love to see my power data going up the 3 sisters, pushing 220 lbs. plus a bike. Then came mile 42... with a loud "POP" from the rear wheel... first thought was a tire blew out... no problem... then, immediately, the rear wheel seized up on the rear brake and I knew what happened... for the 4th time this year, first time while i was on the bike oddly enough, I snapped a spoke.

I tried in vain for a couple of minutes to "wrap" it and re-true the wheel, but ended up walking the last mile or so to the next aid station where I, at that point had assumed my day was over. Well... after talking with the aid station people, they had a spare wheel. Not sure if it would be considered outside assistance or not, I figured, my goal is more personal and if it is a DQ, then it will be appropriately so, but if not, I still did what I could do to finish the race! So.. to that volunteer, thanks for saving my day.

That whole episode took about 30 minutes to cover the mile or so of walking, and getting up and going again.

Not sure, everything was going great right to the snapped spoke! Thinking, with 4 broken spokes this year, it is time to think about another option, the 808's are cutting it for me....
Transition 2
  • 06m 8s
Comments:

Took this one slow and stopped to talk to my "crew" for a bit, told them not to take my bike out of the transition area like we had planned as it has someone elses rear wheel on it... and for them to look for a guy walking around with a zipp 808 with a broken spoke! ;)

Nothing much, at this point, it had turned into a fun race for me as all goals were out the window!
Run
  • 2h 46m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

This is a killer course for us big guys, and I quickly went with a "lets enjoy this" approach... walk all uphills, run the flats and push the downhills... (there aren't any flats!!! lol)

It worked pretty well and I really enjoyed the course. It was great to take in the views and talk to the volunteers vs. my typical grunting/painful response to their enthusiasm.

It was difficult to stay in the race mentally at this point. I knew i would have little problem finishing, but pushing for anything significant just wasnt there...
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and found my wheel!!! ;) Inhaled some post race food and enjoyed talking to my family about the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Broken equipment and inability to re-engage in the race after that...

Event comments:

This is clearly a premier event and anyone that is thinking of signing up should do so without any second thoughts. Be ready, it certainly isn't an easy one! Top notch volunteers and course support!

Also, this is the second race that I have used the www.myathletegps.com gear and my family LOVES it!!! instead of waiting for me to slowly make my way around, they sat at Cheesecake factory and watched until I was back to their next cheering spot! I used it at IMWI and they watched from across the country and felt closer to the event than seeing some numbers posted along the way. I would strongly recommend anyone looking at using this type of tracking to take a shot at it... it is a great product!

Last updated: 2009-02-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:54 | 2100 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/20
Overall: 0/388
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:17
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:57:20 | 56 miles | 14.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/20
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:08
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:46:17 | 13.1 miles | 12m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/20
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-11-10 8:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
Subject: Silverman - Half Iron

2009-11-11 3:30 PM
in reply to: #2507963

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Silverman - Half Iron
It may have not been bad positioning on the swim.  I was beat up for about 400-500 yards and I heard others were too.  It was a rough start!

Too bad about the bike, but way to get through it.
2009-11-11 6:11 PM
in reply to: #2507963

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
Subject: RE: Silverman - Half Iron
lol... sorry if I bumped you...

I remember looking at the course when I dropped my bike off thinking... "that's going to be nasty till the first buoy..." 

I was right....  

Love visiting Vegas and Love this race!!   Next year I think I will be brining anouther 2-3 from the MN area!!  Can't stop talking about the quality of the race Frank puts on!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silverman - Half Iron Rss Feed