United States
Ironman North America
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 11m 41s
Overall Rank = 1472/2460
Age Group = W 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 49/110
Pre-race routine:

OK. Long story short ~ today ranks as one of top 4 days of my life - marraige and 2 kids trump it... Long story long, read on...Lets start 10 days out. Right foot hurts a LOT. Podiatrist visit, x rays = stress fracture, no racing. Sports podiatrist visit shortly afterwards = tendonitis - stay off it(in big orthopedic shoe up to knee), naprosin, 2 shots and lets hope for the best. Good luck and run till ya can't anymore. Taper was a complete taper. No biking, running or walking till day before race. Limited swimming week prior...Met up w/ a bunch of BT'ers for a swim on Thurs. Water was choppy and full of jellies. Got stung once and hoped the Gulf would settle down for Sat. I hate swimming w/ spray in your face all the time. Great to meet some folks from here! Met more on Fri. night for dinner. Fri. went to check in my pink camoflauge QR. It's a limited edition paint job but looks custom - had lotsa comments on it...in line to get into transition right behind another one exactly like it! My parents, Mike and the girls were all down and settled in a 3 BR condo on the beach about 2 miles from the race. Great place and being away from the bedlem really helped me stay calm. I was so calm it was eerie. Slept great Fri. night and woke up around 5 for oatmeal and coffee. Mike and I drove to Walmart to take shuttle to transition. No probs there. GOt marked, went in to check bike, fill up bento box and tires, etc....back out of transition and waited around w/ Mike. Looked at him and lost my composure. Bawling like a baby. A lot. Couldn't stop. Scared, anxious, disbelief, everything. He just held me till I stopped then I was calm again. OK. I'm gonna get this done.
Event warmup:

Headed to beach - had no idea what 5000+ people on a beach looked like but it was a madhouse!!! Of course, lost Mike and paniced again. 6:45, 6:50, no sign of him. I need a hug. badly. Ran into Irondreams, Triinsandles and Dave (sorry - forget your screen name) in the corral but no Mike. National Anthem starts and I FINALLY FIND HIM!!!! He held me close, calmed me then I was golden. Cannon went off, they start playing Panama from Van Halen and I shoot off down the beach whooping and jumping with excitement.
Swim
  • 1h 20m 13s
  • 4156 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Oh my gosh. I had no idea what to expect here. I started way back and kinda in the middle. The middle was still probably 75 yds. outside the bouys but I didn't want to get mauled. During the first loop I didn't really sight too much. I'd look up, realize there were at least 30 people on either side of me so I couldn't go anywhere differently even if I wanted. Kept following feet underwater and did most sighting underwater jsut to make sure I didn't get kicked too badly. First turn was a joke. I basically floated/ treaded water and let the flow take me Everyone was breaststroking so I didn't want to get kicked anyway. It was fun - lots of folks yelling, cheering, etc..the way in was easier and at times I felt the current just push me along. There were some ankle grabbers out there - why do people grab ankles and pull? Why? Saw Mike on the turnaround taking pix with the camera off. Nice try, Mike. :) 2nd loop was less eventful - stayed closer to the bouys and sighted a lot more. Saw some jellies but no stings and the swells were definitely manageable. Much easier IMO, to swim with clean-ish swells instead of the windswept chop on Thursday. Was expecting 1:15ish so I was happy.
What would you do differently?:

As always, sight better. At times I was way outside the bouys then wound up on the inside and back out again.
Transition 1
  • 10m 10s
Comments:

Got stripped. Note to racers. Look for strong hunks. Not highschool girls who are the first strippers available. They had a tough time but helpful nonetheless. Got into tent and Kathy G. helped me get all gussied up for my bike. Thank you! :) Forgot sunscreen on my face but got most of the rest of myself. Loved all the volunteers!!

Nothing really...I didn't rush or stall, just wanted to make sure I got everything done I needed to.
Bike
  • 6h 09m 21s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.19 mile/hr
Comments:

I was ready for this bike. With all the bike issues since July with my QR, my bike had to redeem herself this race! :) I knew my parents and the girls would be in front of the condo at mile 3/109 so I had that to look forward to immediately. Saw them in their BT crew shirts - stopped to get hugs and kisses and a good luck flower Emily picked for me. Continued on into a bit of wind then the real wind started at mile 20. Honestly, I drafted. Not b/c I wanted to, it was very, very difficult not to and I tried to keep it to a minimum. Packs of dudes in peletons flew by and at one point a pack of girls all went screaming by also along with a course marshal. I dunno if they got carded but they should have. Wind form mile 20 - 50 but I remained mostly positive. It's early in the race, I felt great and I knew Mike would be at mile 33. Found him, stopped to chat and was on my way again quickly. I broke the bike into segments and that really helped the time tick by. There was a OAB section around mile 70 that sucked! Bumpy roads and WINDY going out. I was doing 13-14mph on the out section and nobody passed me - at the turnaround, I noticed all the wheelsuckers behind me. Turned around and enjoyed the tailwind. At 2 points, I got sick on the bike but slowed down a bit, drank water and felt better. After about 4.5 hrs, the thought of gus, GE or cliff bars disgusted me. I forced myslef to drink water and thanked myself for the king sized snickers in SN. Num, num, num...Saw Mike again at mile 88, no stopping tho...Mile 90, still felt good so kept going strong to the finish. Saw the family at 109 and stopped for more hugs, kisses and a donut that Emily was in the middle of eating. Thanks Em! I am very pleased with my split so my bike and I are back on good terms :) Saw Socks and Triinsandles on the bike too...

Try not to get sucked up in pacelines...
Transition 2
  • 09m 28s
Comments:

Got into tent, saw JDicarlo and she helped. My feet were KILLING me on the outsides of my soles. Hurt to walk but that subsided quickly. After a trip to the loo and some sunscreen I was off. That doesn't sound like it should take 9.5 mins, does it? :)
Run
  • 5h 22m 32s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

So I shuffled out of T2 and the plan was to run between aid stations as long as possible. Had no idea how my foot would hold up so it was all a guessing game. Took 2 Tylenol at first aide station just to be safe. After 2 miles I was tired and wanted to walk but wasn't too excited about walking 24 miles. My new mantra was "lets see how much run I have in me." I'd say it to myself after every aide station, knowing I'd walk again in about a mile. Surprisingly, this worked really well and I kept having some run left in me - enough to get from aide station to aide station. There were afew times I'd walk an entire mile - probably 3 times - then Id start up running again. Saw Mike at the turnaround - really, I just couldn't stop smiling because I was having so much fun! Stuck to mostly cola on the run - some oranges and pretzels and BROTH!!! Y.U.M.!!!! I thought I'd be enjoying some jolly ranchers while chatting and walking iwth folks but the thought of sweets was revolting. Honestly, the marathon wasn't at all what I had expected but I'm SO GLAD about that! Had I started chatting, I could've easily walked it in while talking but I stayed strong and left everything that I had on that course. My foot held up 100% and I never had any down, miserable moments when I wanted to be done. I was just so, so happy the whole day. Thankful for being there and enjoying the journey. I though about all the support I've gotten from my family and I knew they were all so proud of me. I am just as proud of them for all the sacrifices they've made to help me become an Ironman. My whole family was waiting for me right at the beginning of the finishing chute. My only regret was not stopping to hug them. The lights, the chute, the crowds, it all just enveloped me and I ran, by myself - hands up, screaming, wide eyed, euphoric across the finish line to become an Ironman.

Hug and kiss my family.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw a bunch of BT'ers at the finish line and took some pix w/ Kathy G. I felt like a rockstar ~ for a few minutes. FOund everyone, hugged, kissed and hugged some more. Went back and found pizza but stomach was having none of it. Still having tummy issues 3 days post race...Walked around in a happy daze w/ everyone and eventually made it back to the minivan and then to the condo.

Event comments:

Mike, my parents and in laws all deserve a huge huge huge amount of thanks for all their support during my journey. I know both sets of grandparents think they got the best part - time with the grandkids w/out me around to police them but I could have not done it without my wonderful family. Thank you. I love you. This day will remain one of the best in my life. I had a perfect race and could not have asked for anything more. Lots of trauma leading up to it but everything worked out and this was a spectacular journey. I've learned a lot about myself and hope the lessons I've learned will help make me a better mother, wife and person.

Last updated: 2009-01-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:20:13 | 4156 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 36/110
Overall: 1355/2460
Performance: Good
Suit: QR sleeveless
Course: Counterclockwise rectangle done 2x.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 10:10
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:09:21 | 112 miles | 18.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 43/110
Overall: 1415/2460
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: 10 miles out, big rectangle with small OAB section, then same 10 miles coming back home.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 09:28
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:22:32 | 26.2 miles | 12m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 71/110
Overall: 1617/2460
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-11-10 8:40 PM

User image

Master
NJ
Subject: Ironman Florida

2009-11-10 9:19 PM
in reply to: #2507990

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida
ROCKSTAR! Cool
2009-11-10 11:10 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Great race report. You rocked the bike course. Great job. I'm so glad your foot held up for the race. You deserve this 100%  Congrats!!!
2009-11-11 6:13 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Awesome to see you ROCK this race after the drama leading up to it! 

CONGRATULATIONS, IRONWOMAN!!

2009-11-11 7:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Smokin bike! You did awesome. Congrats!
2009-11-11 8:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Great race report! Awesome job, Ironwoman!

2009-11-11 12:56 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Great Job Kristin Congratulations.  I think I yelled at your family on the bike...something to the effect of WOOHOO BT   Awesome race

2009-11-11 9:12 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Strong work Kristin!!! You had a great race.  I am so happy for you that the foot held up and your beautiful bike lived up to her potential!  You are an IRONWOMAN!!!!
2009-11-11 11:01 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
CONGRATS!!!!    You are an IRONWOMAN!!! Which is slightly more impressive than an IronMAN, but don't spread it around.    Nice Job, great RR.
2009-11-12 3:32 PM

User image

Congrats!  I am so happy you made it to FL (even though we didn't meet up) and then to top it off with a great race.
Way to go!!

BTW - I saw your family on the bike...those orange shirts we awesome sights
2009-11-13 12:37 PM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Great Race! Great effort!  You earned the title!  CONGRATULATIONS!!!

2009-11-13 2:46 PM

User image

Expert
Congrats on a great race! I'm so glad your foot didn't give you the problems it could have. I saw you several times on race day and you looked great.
2009-11-14 6:53 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Congratulations. Really good race report. Very impressive running.

Good job!
2009-11-14 10:52 PM

User image

Master

Congrats on a GREAT race! Way to go!

2009-11-15 6:16 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
AWWWW, I'm sure your family was so excited to cheer you on all day!  You'll never forget your first   I'm glad it all worked out and you got to do it!  Made it that much more special.  Congrats on a really great race Ironman.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Florida Rss Feed