Ironman North America
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 10h 27m 59s
Overall Rank = 255/2328
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 48/235
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0330 and made coffee and ate some bagels with peanut butter and a banana. Drank water and some electrolytes, and headed down to get body marked, and check the tire pressure. Went back up to the room and grabbed the specials needs bag and then walked to alvin's island to drop it off. Went back to the room and relaxed for a bit then grabbed the wetsuit and headed down to transition to drop off the morning clothes bag. Got all that done and then headed down to the water...
Event warmup:

Swam a bit out and back water was a bit more choppy today, then they pulled us all in to start the pros at 0645...
Swim
  • 53m 37s
  • 3800 meters
  • 01m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started right at the front because I wanted to get clean water and not have to fight. The cannon went off and we were off, I started swimming just nice and steady and by the time I hit the first buoy was pretty much by myself, at first I though am I going to hard, but I felt like I was cruising at a comfortable pace, so I went with it. At the turn buoy I headed East and the water here was pretty choppy and right into the sun, it was tough to spot and I had to slow a little to lift my head and keep sight of the buoys. Rounded the second buoy and was headed back to shore. The water remained a little choppy but the sighting was much easier. finally got close in and ran a little ways on the sand bar and the dove back in to swim to shore. Came out of the water and crossed the timing mat grabbed some water to rinse the salt out of the mouth and then plunged back in for the second loop. The second loop was just about as uneventful as the first felt good and never felt like I was pushing too hard, just long and smooth. Hit the sand bar again and ran then back to swimming for maybe 40 meters, the out of the water to T1, 2.4 miles down...
What would you do differently?:

wear the goggles the way I usually do, I wore the strap under my cap, cause I was afraid of getting them ripped off and they started to pull the cap off by the end of the second loop. at least it did not happen but it was not comfortable.
Transition 1
  • 05m 43s
Comments:

They wouldn't let us put shoes and helmets on the bike so it was all in T1 bag, this was my first ironman so first time dealing with the bags. The volunteers got my bag and I almost ran straight into the bike area, but was guided in the right direction by a volunteer. They set up the change area inside the hotel ball room so I grabbed my bag and headed in, there were a ton a volunteers telling which way to go and which area was male/female. got in and had a volunteer strip the wetsuit, put on the tri jersey, shoes helmet and glasses, had a volunteer sunscreen me up and it was off to get the bike. It was a fairly long run but by the time I got there a volunteer had my bike ready to go said thanks and off I went...

nothing really, maybe not go the wrong way...
Bike
  • 5h 06m 36s
  • 112 miles
  • 21.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Well got on the bike and started off just nice and steady, i had a god swim so I was on the bike and not too many others were around. Just tried to keep things nice and steady, and keep the HR down. Made the turn north on 79 and kept it comfortable. By this time folks were starting to pass me, but I told myself stick to your plan and don't go chasing folks, it's too early. crossed the bridge and kept it nice and steady. Hit the turn on highway 20 and just kept things nice and relaxed, at this point I had settled in and was taking in my nutrition. Infinit at the top of the hour and 20's, half a power bar and water at the 40's. Hit some small rollers on hwy 20 and was surprised to see some folks going backwards. By this point I was getting passed by the peletons every so often. Hit special needs and picked up my bag with a coke and a power bar. stowed the power bar, and had to swig the coke cause it was too small a bottle to stay in the cage, by the time I finished it it was too late to dump it so I shoved the empty in the back of my jersey. Dumped it at the next aid station. It was just after this that I got sick of being passed by the peletons so I started to pick up the pace and pass some of the folks back. The out and back on hwy 388 was pretty rough and bumpy and at some point I lost one of my polar bottles I use to carry my infinit, luckily it was the one I had already finished. after the rough part the rest of 388 was nice and freshly paved so the ride was nice and smooth back to 79. made the left turn and was headed back towards the beach, kept things nice and steady and every half hour or so raised up to the bullhorns to stretch the back and legs. Got out of the saddle crossing back over the bridge then settled in for the last bit into T2. Made the turn back onto front beach road, and took my last sip of water, wanted to let the stomach have some time to process before starting the run. The last 2 miles I dropped gears and just spun it into T2, I was surprised at the time for the bike, because the first half was much slower but when I pulled into T2 and saw 5:06 I was pretty happy.

Overall good ride, stuck to my plan and it worked out well.
Transition 2
  • 03m 53s
Comments:

Hit T2 and the volunteers were again wonderful, they took my bike and I called my number for my T2 bag, the volunteers got it and it was into the change area. put on the shoes, a fresh pair of socks and hat and off I went. On my way out stopped in and used the porta loo and got sun screened up.

Maybe go faster
Run
  • 4h 18m 12s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Headed out of T2 and was on the run course. Ok this was going to be my biggest challenge the iron marathon. Right away I felt good but I was having trouble keeping the pace I wanted. I wanted to keep the first 6-8 miles at 8:15 to 8:30 pace but each time I checked the garmin it was below 8:00, so I kept trying to slow down but every tie I did it felt like I was about to walk. At this point the run course was not too crowded and it was get passed by a few, then pass a few. At the aid stations I was trying not too take in too much and have a GI overload, but in doing this I think I may have short changed myself a little. I felt great until about mile 11. Then things started to go downhill. By mile 14 I felt sick to my stomach and felt like I was gonna puke, started to walk and take in coke and gatorade at the aid stations. Did this for a while and the at about mile 19 a great spectator was yelling let's go texas! I finally felt better so I started to run again, the legs were tired but I felt that the nutrition was finally getting to me and I had energy again!!! Ran back through the state park the second loop and started passing people. Kept up the nutrition at the aid station alternating coke and gatorade. By this time it was getting dark and a little chilly, so cold sponges were no longer needed. Kept the running except to walk through the aid stations to take in nutrition. By the time I hit the last 2 miles it was pretty much dark, but the spectators still lined the side of the road cheering us on. At the 1 mile to go mark I could hear the finish line and it started to hit me almost done. Made the final turn back onto Thomas drive and could see the sign for spinaker in the distance. This was it almost there keep going, got to the last turn to cross the timing mat and make the final right hand turn into the finish chute and some guy just blows by me, at first I thought chase but then I thought eff it I am almost done just let him go and enjoy the finish. Made the final turn into the finish chute and the crowd was amazing. Crossed the line and at this point I did not even know my time I was just happy to have finished my first Ironman.

Nutrition is the key. My goal was to break 4 hours on the marathon.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my finisher's medal and my picture taken. Walked around a little and was grabbed by the massage tent guy who got me in for a massage right away. After that it was over to get some food and drink. ate some pizza and drank some water. Hung around and watched a couple of the guys I met at the race finish, and then hung out with some really cool Irish guys. One guy had two flats on the bike and rode the last 10k on a flat tubular!!! The other dude said he stopped 6 times on the bike to piss. Overall they all had pretty good race's.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

First time at this distance, overall very happy with my race.

Event comments:

This is a great first Ironman!!

Last updated: 2008-11-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:53:37 | 3800 meters | 01m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/235
Overall: 14/2328
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Prox2
Course: 2 lap rectangle with a short beach run...
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
05:06:36 | 112 miles | 21.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 36/235
Overall: 228/2328
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 1 loopper
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 104
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
04:18:12 | 26.2 miles | 09m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 87/235
Overall: 628/2328
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 looper
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-11-11 12:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: Ironman Florida

2009-11-11 8:17 AM
in reply to: #2508178

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida
Congratulations on a great first race Rob. I was totally blindsided by the run in my first IM here last year. I was feeling great off the bike and then at mile 7 my legs just left me. I learned a lot from my first IM run and I'm sure you did as well. I really believe there is a lot to be said for experience and your next IM (there will be a next right?) you'll know exactly what to expect. I have no doubt you can go sub-10 your next IM with the experience you gained at IMFL.

For me, I knew after that IM run that any shorter race wouldn't be near as painful and wouldn't last near as long and I knew I'd be able to push through anything. With all the miles you just put in I know you'll PR EVERY shorter race next year. And I now know I can push through the pain at my next IM and I'll survive. I know it's going to hurt no matter what but I feel I now know how to handle it better.

Enjoy some down time and start planning for your next IM.
2009-11-11 1:00 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

WOW awesome job sooper fast racing Congrats

2009-11-11 6:54 PM
in reply to: #2508373

User image

Regular
austin/tx
i get jacked up reading race reports!!! congrats on your strong race. your swim was stellar, your bike wasnt far off from your swim, and your run went well minus a feel rough miles. kudos to not play the peleton game. i have done AZ twice and know how sick it is to watch those bastards cruise by cheating their way to a fast bike split. f them! anyways, for a first time effort you did awesome!! now its time to pick out #2. until then, enjoy a break and find one of the 3 areas to really work at so that next year you are that much faster!!!! great job and again mad props for being one of the first AGers out of the swim! that must have felt amazing!
2009-11-11 8:40 PM

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
Duuude, GR8 race at IMFL,  Loved your RR, keep rockin!
2009-11-13 4:35 PM

User image

Expert
Rob, Awesome job.  I've been going through some rough training times lately mainly due to job and family constraints and leaving with alot of negative thoughts about racing.  Reading your report made me remember how much I enjoyed my IMAZ race even though it didn't go as planned.  As usual your swim is awesome, silly fast.  Bike was great and kudo's for not getting sucked into the peloton.  run, great job getting through it.  All those long training rides, runs paid off.  Great job

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Florida Rss Feed