Other Resources My Cup of Joe » AMA reverses field on medical marijuana Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-11-11 8:37 PM
in reply to: #2508395

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sherman Oaks, CA
Subject: RE: AMA reverses field on medical marijuana

just to make clear from one point i made above is that i am not saying that every time a person drinks, they stumble, slur their words, get drunk etc... i certainly drink a glass of wine almost every night just cos i like it and i'm not falling down drunk.  just making the point that you can smoke a lot and not have the same effects as drinking.

2009-11-12 2:54 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
I don't have that type of operational info... here is what I do know.

1 - The dispensaries, by law, are not supposed to be profit centers. They are supposed to be "cooperatives" where people on medical marijuana pool resources. This has been fully ignored. However, after some investigative journalism, there are rumors that the Mexican Mafia is a major supplier. This may elicit some follow-up. However, there are like over 600 dispensaries in Los Angeles alone.

2 - 90% of all Medical Marijuana Card-Carriers that I know are 18-year-old high-school students. Primarily in special education. Most of whom I have seen for reasons that would contra-indicate medical marijuana.
REALLY! A kid with a mood disorder w/psychotic features (including hospitalizations for previous suicide attempts) and a schizophrenic with paranoia? They need open and legal access to marijuana? REALLY!

Edited by eabeam 2009-11-12 2:56 PM
2009-11-12 3:04 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Also, the doctor does not prescribe.
That would put the license in jeopardy.

It is a form letter that says... "Stoney McStonealot has a medical condition that may benefit from the use of medical marijuana."

That letter goes somewhere else for the card.

This convoluted process disburses all of the accountability.

Google "Medical Marijuana CA" see what you get...

Similar pathway on how "anti-aging" clinics pass off steroids and human-growth hormone as legitimate prescriptions.
Google "anti-aging clinic hgh"
The only difference is that these drugs have medically-approved uses.

Why go to Tijuana to get 'roids when you can get a (pseudo)-legal prescription.
2009-11-12 3:36 PM
in reply to: #2511258

User image

Champion
the colony texas
eabeam - 2009-11-12 3:04 PM Also, the doctor does not prescribe.
That would put the license in jeopardy.

It is a form letter that says... "Stoney McStonealot has a medical condition that may benefit from the use of medical marijuana."

That letter goes somewhere else for the card.

This convoluted process disburses all of the accountability.

Google "Medical Marijuana CA" see what you get...

Similar pathway on how "anti-aging" clinics pass off steroids and human-growth hormone as legitimate prescriptions.
Google "anti-aging clinic hgh"
The only difference is that these drugs have medically-approved uses.

Why go to Tijuana to get 'roids when you can get a (pseudo)-legal prescription.

I think it was outdoor magizine had a very nice article about a AG cyclist that went to the anit aging clinics to prep for a few races/rides.   It was a very convincing story of how Performance type drugs should work,

I'm not surprised at the high % of chance that the mexican cartel has a hand in this type of business,  I always comment on any business person is not going to let money he was making just walk away,
2009-11-12 3:41 PM
in reply to: #2511317

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Gaarryy - 2009-11-12 1:36 PM

I think it was outdoor magizine had a very nice article about a AG cyclist that went to the anit aging clinics to prep for a few races/rides.   It was a very convincing story of how Performance type drugs should work,

I'm not surprised at the high % of chance that the mexican cartel has a hand in this type of business,  I always comment on any business person is not going to let money he was making just walk away,

Next you are going to tell me that a business with lots of cash and lots of drugs poses a  potential security issue.

Some look pretty tightly handled.
Others look like they are run by stoners screaming, "Steal me!"

Wow, I just typed "runned"... people might think I had to much first-hand knowledge... not so!

2009-11-12 3:45 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Drug cartels versus the California State Government...

Who do I trust more?
Who is dirtier?

I trust the cartels to run a tighter business model, but they have that nasty tendency to kill people's families.

Still, they could probably balance the budget while stealing a lower percentage.

I will have to think about that one...

Lack of sarc font intentional.

2009-11-12 3:56 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

I think at the end of the day, the "medical marijuana" in California is just an end-around for people to obtain mj "legally" by state standards (not by federal).   Seems that there is much greater "demand" for the chronic than the public was initially led to believe. 

On a related note, I was dissappointed in our Attorney General announcing that they do not intend to enforce the federal law in these cases.  While I believe that legalizing marijuana is a state level issue, the fact is that it is against federal law and as long as those laws are on the books, they should be enforced.

2009-11-13 6:40 PM
in reply to: #2511354

User image

ashort33 - 2009-11-12 1:56 PM

I think at the end of the day, the "medical marijuana" in California is just an end-around for people to obtain mj "legally" by state standards (not by federal).   Seems that there is much greater "demand" for the chronic than the public was initially led to believe. 

On a related note, I was dissappointed in our Attorney General announcing that they do not intend to enforce the federal law in these cases.  While I believe that legalizing marijuana is a state level issue, the fact is that it is against federal law and as long as those laws are on the books, they should be enforced.

Like our immigration laws!

2009-11-13 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2511245

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
eabeam - 2009-11-12 3:54 PM I don't have that type of operational info... here is what I do know.

1 - The dispensaries, by law, are not supposed to be profit centers. They are supposed to be "cooperatives" where people on medical marijuana pool resources. This has been fully ignored. However, after some investigative journalism, there are rumors that the Mexican Mafia is a major supplier. This may elicit some follow-up. However, there are like over 600 dispensaries in Los Angeles alone.

2 - 90% of all Medical Marijuana Card-Carriers that I know are 18-year-old high-school students. Primarily in special education. Most of whom I have seen for reasons that would contra-indicate medical marijuana.
REALLY! A kid with a mood disorder w/psychotic features (including hospitalizations for previous suicide attempts) and a schizophrenic with paranoia? They need open and legal access to marijuana? REALLY!

Professionally, I don't know whether to alarmed or pleased about this.  Alarmed because while use of MJ for most people may not be overly risky, it absolutely can destabilize/interfere with treatment in mood disorders, and exacerbates psychotic disorders.  I actually have had several patients whose psychotic disorders would clearly worsen when they used, and remit only when they stopped. (I'm not saying the weed caused the psychosis, in a "Reefer Madness" scenario - just that they were already ill and getting sicker).

On the other hand, if someone out there is knowingly handing out permission for those kids to get high,  I will never run out of business.  Win-win?
2009-11-13 7:40 PM

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
It's been the #1 cash crop in CA for decades.  Why not put it in the tax revenue stream?
And as for releasing jailed potheads, I can't think of an easier audience...they'll be home on the couch, watching Comedy Central...

Edited by StMaas 2009-11-13 7:40 PM
2009-11-13 9:30 PM
in reply to: #2513390

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
gearboy - 2009-11-13 5:29 PM
eabeam - 2009-11-12 3:54 PM I don't have that type of operational info... here is what I do know.

Professionally, I don't know whether to alarmed or pleased about this.  Alarmed because while use of MJ for most people may not be overly risky, it absolutely can destabilize/interfere with treatment in mood disorders, and exacerbates psychotic disorders.  I actually have had several patients whose psychotic disorders would clearly worsen when they used, and remit only when they stopped. (I'm not saying the weed caused the psychosis, in a "Reefer Madness" scenario - just that they were already ill and getting sicker).

On the other hand, if someone out there is knowingly handing out permission for those kids to get high,  I will never run out of business.  Win-win?

I am not worried about job security out here.
They got me to move from Boston.

Plus the timing sucks, when you combine the marijuana, throw out any hope of Rx med compliance, and the desire to exert the "freedom" of being 18 without really having developed any adequate coping or life skills.

2009-11-13 10:05 PM
in reply to: #2513495

User image

Champion
the colony texas
ok.. enough about morals..

how can we profit from this ??

Edited by Gaarryy 2009-11-13 10:05 PM
2009-11-13 10:37 PM
in reply to: #2513521

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Gaarryy - 2009-11-14 12:05 AM ok.. enough about morals..

Cheetos home delivery service
2009-11-14 7:42 AM
in reply to: #2513521

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Gaarryy - 2009-11-13 8:05 PM ok.. enough about morals..

Between this and the OP, there has to be a good Universal Healthcare tie-in, just can't think of one.
2013-06-26 1:48 PM
in reply to: ashort33

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Originally posted by ashort33

I only know two things for sure - first - mj is a gateway drug to harder drugs.  Second - nothing fires up pot smokers exept talking about legalizing pot... 

You have no more proof of this than proponents do of the benefits...

2013-06-26 1:56 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Originally posted by TriMike

I only know two things for sure - first - mj is a gateway drug to harder drugs.  Second - nothing fires up pot smokers exept talking about legalizing pot... 

Holy thread revival.

2013-06-26 2:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Originally posted by noelle1230

Holy thread revival.

LOL.... I have to remember to look at the dates!!   The new site configuration shows related topics and I fell for it...

My apologies for reviving an old one...

Edited by TriMike 2013-06-26 2:01 PM
2013-06-26 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
I totally thought you were bringing back an old thread to illustrate something about the AMA obesity classification by showing a change the AMA has made on another issue in the past Smile
2013-06-26 2:05 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I only know two things for sure - first - mj is a gateway drug to harder drugs.  Second - nothing fires up pot smokers exept talking about legalizing pot...  :)

Holy thread revival.

LOL.... I have to remember to look at the dates!!   The new site configuration shows related topics and I fell for it...

My apologies for reviving an old one... ;)

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, it's cool, man.  You probably just spaced it man, happens to me aaaaaaaaalllllll the time.  

Do you have anything good to eat?  Between the pot and obesity threads, I've got the munchies.

2013-06-26 2:06 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by noelle1230 I totally thought you were bringing back an old thread to illustrate something about the AMA obesity classification by showing a change the AMA has made on another issue in the past Smile

Sure, let's go with your version...

2013-06-26 2:13 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Originally posted by switch

Holy thread revival.

My apologies for reviving an old one...

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, it's cool, man.  You probably just spaced it man, happens to me aaaaaaaaalllllll the time.  

Do you have anything good to eat?  Between the pot and obesity threads, I've got the munchies.

I was just feeling righteous and $hit...

And no, all I've got are vegetables...You know, trying to stay thin....

2013-06-26 2:18 PM
in reply to: shrano

User image

Champion
Alabama
But doesn't getting the munchies every night lead to the disease of obesity?!
2013-06-26 2:22 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by Rogillio But doesn't getting the munchies every night lead to the disease of obesity?!

Wait, what?  Obesity is a disease now? 

How come there aren't any threads debating the legitimacy of such a proclamation dude?

2013-06-26 2:23 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by Rogillio But doesn't getting the munchies every night lead to the disease of obesity?!

What if I eat my weed in brownies and get really stoned and really fat?  Is that the disease of addiction or obesity?  Oh, how will the poor AMA code me now.......

2013-06-26 2:30 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

What if I eat my weed in brownies and get really stoned and really fat?  Is that the disease of addiction or obesity?  Oh, how will the poor AMA code me now.......

That would qualify as a split-bill and therefore your insurance will get hit twice.....

Pun sort of intended....

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » AMA reverses field on medical marijuana Rss Feed  

of 3