Setup Events
38F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 53m 48s
Overall Rank = 139/387
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 35/73
Pre-race routine:

Well, I knew this was going to be a different race from last years, simply because I was going solo and that logistics would be tough. Luckily the BT Crew was there to make me feel at home. I want to especially thank The Butchers for driving me back from dinner on Friday night. You two are a great couple and I wish you the best in your marriage and honeymoon in New Zealand!

Friday I did a 20' swim with the BT group. Afterwards I went on a 15' run/bike brick to make sure everything was working properly. Seems like we were good to go (see foreshadowing definition here)!

Event warmup:

Got up sans alarm at 3:45. Ate oatmeal (Thanks again to The Butchers), Muscle Milk, and Granola Bar.

Took the bus to T1 and met up with Brian (Coldfire) and Martin. This was going to be a great day we kept telling each other. I got in the line for the trolly with Sara (SweetCorn) then realized I forgot to get body marked. Took care of that oversight and we were off to the beach!

With 15' to start I took one gel, one 5Hour Energy, and two endurolytes. Caught up with Brian and Martin for the national anthem then heard the familiar tune of Lose Yourself by Eminem. This was going to be be a day to remember.
Swim
  • 51m 42s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went much better than expected. Of course the current does help, but I really feel I raced this leg instead of just surviving it. I got pushed and kicked around in the first 500 meters, but after that it was a smooth swim.
What would you do differently?:

I will continue to work on form and speed, but other than that, nothing.
Transition 1
  • 07m 15s
Comments:

Well, this was the first of several brick walls I would face during the race. After flying out of the water and racing down the sidewalk, passing many other walking competitors, I make it to the changing tent.

I stripped down, lathered up with Chamois Butter, then jumped into by bib shorts....why does my right buttock feel cold? Oh no, did I just rip the bottom out of my bike shorts....yes I did! Of course there is no sunscreen in the tent, so I now realize this little mistake is going haunt me for several days after 6+ hours in the sun.

Jumped on the bike and off I went.

I am considering going tri-suit for the entire race next year. I would save 3-4 minutes in time, plus no chance of tearing a hole in your shorts using this strategy.
Bike
  • 6h 23m 15s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.53 mile/hr
Comments:

After getting out of T1, I knew Karma was working against me already. I had a bare a$$ to show the world for 6 hours, and was confident I would have a nice sun burn to start the marathon later in the day. Comments about my exposure were priceless. One older lady asked me to slow down and be her rabbit for the day....didn't know how to take that one :)

I averaged 20MPH for first 65 miles of the race and made it to Special Needs without needing a bathroom break. This was quite an improvement over last year. Nutrition was spot on and I stayed tucked in the areo position for most of the race. I started hearing a funny sound out of the front of the bike but decided to dismiss it as nerves and imagination (see definition of foreshadowing)!

Got to SN and changed Perpetum Bottles, got my Snickers, and visted the edge of the forest for a quick water relief. Very little time was waisted here and I appreciated the stop. Back in aero position and still right at the 20MPH mark. I was well ahead of my time schedule and proud of the effort.

When you turn left to hit 421 back to Wilmington, the wind immediatly hits you in the face. The wind gods were going to take back some of the gained time but I was still on track for a sub six bike segment.

Now before going on lets revisit last years race, my first IM. Things went absolutly perfect, like there was a guardian angel following me the whole day. I never hit "the wall" and simply enjoyed the day.....I almost felt like I was cheated out of the IM Experience....Well guess what....today's the day!

Around mile 81 the mysterious sound appears again, and gets louder and louder until I hear what I thought was a gun going off. Next thing I know I am landing helmet first into the pavement followed by the right side of my body. At first I had no idea what happened and actually thought I was in North Georgia riding The Gaps. I then realized I am bleeding on the side of a four lane highway. No not today, I have NEVER wrecked on a bicyle since I started this three years ago. Seriously what just happened. The road is flat and straight yet, I am lying on the ground wondering exactly where I am.

I take a look at my bike and the front tire is off the rim and I notice the bead is really messed up in one section. Helmet has a pretty nice crack in it but I know it will take forever for Bike Support to arrive so I decide to McGyver the situation. I put in a new tube and force the bead on. I only put in about 80PSI to keep the bead on the rim. I jump back on my bike ready to go and realize my handlebars are pointing 40 degrees off center. Can't adjust them so I decide to simply ride out the last 30 miles and start the run if my body is able to.

About a mile later the sound appears again, and I know the tire is heating up causing the PSI to increase....and there she blows! Bike Support shows up and takes a look at the damage....first to me then my bike. They look at the helmet and suggest calling it a day since I might have a minor concussion....no worries I tell them, I am not that smart to begin with. Some road rash on the right side of my leg and elbow....looks like some road rash on the right buttock as well...no wait its JUST sunburn from 5 hours of bare a$$ exposure! Seriouly the guys at Two Wheeler Dealer were great, and I appreciate their help. That said, there was no way I was getting a ride back into town. Like I said before the race....Ambulance or Finish Line....everything else is failure!

Made it back to T2 and was really glad to get off the bike. I didn't make my time goal due to the 20-25 minutes lost during the wreck, but I can not be more thrilled with the effort put forth. Every now and then it is good to face adversity and see how you as a competitor will react. I could have quit and no one on that course would have thought less of me.....but I knew I had it in me to finish the damn race, and if I quit it would haunt me for some time.

Seriously, you want me to answer that question after the comments above.

More time in the saddle, plus stronger=faster.
Transition 2
  • 05m 5s
Comments:

Well first and foremost, I went into the wrong changing tent. Looking good ladies...looking good. With that bit of motivation, I was ready to change shoes and get this marathon started. I did take some time to check out the damage to my knees and elbows. Not too bad, but I think there may have been some deep bruising on my legs.

Not much here. Might be in a tri suit next year and only have to change shoes.
Run
  • 4h 26m 33s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew getting off the bike this was going to hurt regardless of the accident during the bike. I wanted to feel the pain, the suffering and know that I was alive. Wish Granted.

The first lap went really well. I felt strong and confident, but could tell my right knee was in considerable pain. Luckily my left achiles began to balance out the pain on its own!

After I completed the first 13.1 Miles, I began my second lap and I started to mentally break down. I kept seeing all of the families, wives and husbands supporting their loved ones, and realized how alone I felt out there. I really appreciated all of the support on Water St. as well as the BT Supporters. After a quick check of my emotions, I decided to use the pain and anger as motiviation to get through this race and do it under 12 Hours. It was gonna hurt to make that goal, but I was already in a lot of pain so what was the difference!

The last six miles were actually kind of fun. I kept telling myself you are going to have a great story to tell after this so keep fighting on. Persistence, nothing takes the place of Persistence: Calvin Cooldidge President of The United States 1924-1929

With two miles to go, I pulled the throttle back as I knew I was going to make my ammended time goal. I pushed the final mile and loved hearing the crowd as I ran down the finishing chute.

I am going to train for an individual marathon early in 2010 and try and break 3:40

I need much more volume and speed work to break a 4:00 IM Marathon.
Post race
Warm down:

I went to the medic tent to check out the flesh wounds and make sure my head was ok. Besides not being that good looking to begin with they said, I was going to be just fine.

I ate some pizza, drank some water and got a taxi back to my truck.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More training, more speed training, and don't over inflate your tires on a cold morning...the air will warm up, pressure will build and you will eat pavement.

Event comments:

I will say that I am more proud of this race than my first IM. When you get hit in the mouth and knocked down you can either get up and fight or call it a day. Honestly, I had always thought I would call it a day if something like that happened to me. I was thrilled that I had the fight in me to continue. I believe I learned lessons from this race that I will take with me throughout my life and they will make me a better person.

Last updated: 2009-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:51:42 | 4224 yards | 01m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 36/73
Overall: 607/387
Performance:
Suit: Full Blue Seventy
Course: Beach start with a sharp right hand turn about 500 meters off the beach....down the channel to a left hand turn back to the finish. Nice current!
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:15
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:23:15 | 112 miles | 17.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 36/73
Overall: 196/387
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Nice flat course in the country side of North Carolina. The first 3/4 of the race is protected from the wind, but once you hit 421 back to Wilmington its like wrestling a Gorilla.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
04:26:33 | 26.2 miles | 10m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/73
Overall: 88/387
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back x 2 along downtown Wilmington. Very nice run course, but lighting was going to be a problem later on in the evening.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-11-11 4:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Beach 2 Battleship

2009-11-11 4:32 PM
in reply to: #2509374

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: RE: Beach 2 Battleship
Wow all that and you still finished in 11:53!? You define `never-quit'!

That's frickin amazing.
2009-11-11 5:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks man.....It was a struggle no doubt,

2009-11-11 10:46 PM

User image

Expert
NoVA
It was GREAT to meet you last weekend!!!  You were always so positive, upbeat and full of energy---it was awesome!  You had a great race in that you just stayed in the game and took EVERYTHING that was thrown at you and when Doug and I were talking to you after the race you were still so positive that we didn't realize how badly you wrecked till you said your helmet cracked!!!!  Now go out there and get that sub-11 IM!!!

Edited by Skippy74 2009-11-11 10:46 PM
2009-11-12 5:34 AM

James, from the practice swim on Friday morning to seeing your arse for a couple miles on the bike, and all of your advice in between, it was so cool having you out there.  Thanks!  Way to go on your great finish even through all the crap.  Great to meet you!
ben
2009-11-12 6:06 AM

User image

Expert
North Metro ATL

Congrats James! Wow and awesome for keeping going. And I think sub 3:40 is sandbagging for the stand alone marathon btw. sub 3:30 would be yours easily.

2009-11-12 6:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Way to stay tough out there!  Amazing race - even with all the problems.  I remember seeing you early on during the the bike - yeah - I was checking out the a$$.  ;-)  Nice! 

Again, really great race!!

2009-11-12 3:41 PM

User image

Expert
BFE

Dude you spazzed on the bike? Ha..ha... J/K...

Nice finish time despite it all!

2009-11-12 5:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks so much guys....I had an AMAZING time in Wilmington and look forward to seeing the BT Family and many more races.

Honestly, I think everyone should have "one of those days" to truly appreciate the sport of Ironman.  You are out there for soooo long that odds are something is going to happen........

I just signed up Louisville and of course will be at Wilmington next November.  I really want to get some training in with the local BT Folks.

2009-11-13 7:09 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
James, great race. I had no idea the wreak was that bad. Great job HTFU and pushing on.

"Ambulance or Finish Line....everything else is failure!"

What a great line!!!!

Again, great race and way to go sub 12!!!

Next time you are alone, make sure that I point you out to my ironsherpas before the race. They have plenty of love to go around, and there is no reason for you not to have "family" out there cheering you on.
2009-11-13 9:39 AM
in reply to: #2512002

User image

Extreme Veteran
I forgot I said "Ambulance or Finish Line...anything else is failure" before the race......wonder is I was prophetic or just sub consiously preparing myself for a long tough day.

2009-11-13 8:09 PM
in reply to: #2512346

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleming Island, FL
Way to hang in there and finish with a great time despite the bike troubles. A weaker man would have thrown in the towel after all that. Great job.
2009-11-14 7:31 AM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Hey James,

Congrats on finishing B2B number 2.  It sounds like this one was a lot harder than last year.  Way to hang in there have the crash.  You da Man!

Ernie
2009-11-14 7:32 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

Congrats on sub 12...good stuff.  I had a good laugh on the shorts.  You can plan for lots of things, but that one takes the cake.  It may have helped the mental game as you were thinking about your hanging out instead of the slow burn on the legs!  Great job and good luck with 2010.

2009-11-14 4:47 PM
in reply to: #2513653

User image

Master

Way to hang in there James!  You still rocked a fast time despite the bare and the crash.  I am glad that we will all be together in Louisville.

2009-11-14 5:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, North Carolina
First, congrats on an awesome race. You are the persistance king. Also, thanks for an excellent and very interesting race report. It give me great motivation and guidance as I move into HIMs in year 2 of my Tri career.Kurt

2009-11-15 6:14 PM

User image

Master
Ohio
Nice James. I saw your bare azz hanging out on the bike. I told you that you hardcore! (you also made my RR. )
Well done on the bike and run. You had one heck of a day out there.
2009-11-24 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Nevada City with my BABY!

JT......AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!! You finished stong and looked amazing on the course. Your advise the night before is what kept me going....its all about your attitude. I smiled the WHOLE DAY! My face hurt fromsmiling more then my body hurt!

With 2 cross country road trips, a wedding, an Ironman and a tandam bike ride across New Zealand next week....I might find some time to get my race report up. LOL

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach 2 Battleship Rss Feed