Set Up Events
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 27m 11s
Overall Rank = 341/834
Age Group = Master Clyde
Age Group Rank = 14/28
Pre-race routine:

Stayed with friends at Magnolia Green. APam and danny. Pam used to work with Sharon at United Airlines. Pam and danny also volunteered for the event. They both got the finish line so she said she was putting the medal on me! bagel, Bananna, water, oatmeal, Powerbar and off i go
Event warmup:

WOW, I was the very last wave, master Clysdale so I waited till 9 am to go.
Swim
  • 32m 23s
  • 2078 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Man I really need to work on swimming. I felt like I was working hard the whole time but felt ok. Breathing was ok but sighting was terrible. I just went for the boat with bingo man and turned left, from there I was all over the place.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more. Learn to sight! Winter practice!
Transition 1
  • 06m 30s
Comments:

The 400 yard run was painful on my bare feet with continued plantar fasciitis. At 200 yards I was tip toeing. Once i got to my bike i grabbed the wrong bag and could not figure who tied it in a knot. It was not mine but was on my bike, go figure. The extent of time consumption was getting the arm warrmers on while my ares were cold and wet. I struggled for 3 minutes at least! Was it worth having them on, not really.

I did the best I could, there is nothing different I could have done.
Bike
  • 2h 58m 48s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.79 mile/hr
Comments:

Starting out within 1 mile I had to stop as it felt like my chain dropped but once I looked at it that was not the case, my legs were just rubber. at the two mile mark there was tons of traffic backed up on the left lane while we had the right lane marked off heading towards Military cutoff. A lady, about 150 y/o decides to get in my lane just in front of me and behind the other biker. I could not get around her unless I wanted to go between her and left hand lane traffic that was stopped, she held 1 inch off the right curb so I was stuck, once I got my chance to shoot around to the right then what does she do, oh yes, decides to turn right when Im about her rear left door, she ran me into the ditch after i slammed the brakes, I rode through the ditch, up the bank and jumped back on the rode....I felt Lance Armstongish, for a mere second, then I was me again. I was not rattled I just kept pumping. I felt strong the whole ride out except over the bridge, I still struggle with hills. On the way back there was a headwind and it didn't help me. In fact I felt like I was riding a slight upgrade out and back. I thought riding back to the beach would be slightly down, but not that I felt.

This being my first year, you name it. Work on aero position, endurance, cadence, HILS HILLS HILLS. Speed work. Lots of work this winter for the bike as well.
Transition 2
  • 03m 36s
Comments:

A guy took the bike and that was nice! All I had to do was find my rack and taht took a minute. Changed quickly, took a drink, and was off.

Practice T2 more.
Run
  • 2h 45m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

The culmination of 4 races w/i 40 days came to a head right at the moment I started over the first bridge. My legs did not want to work and I struggled mentally to move forward. at time I ran ok and I had to stop and walk over the bridge, then a 2 m mark to go #1, ran to mile 4, walk break and started back but from Mile 6 back to downtown Mile 8 I walked 4x for about 2 minutes each. Ran from Mile 8 to Mile 10 then walked up the hills on the 2 bridges. from downhill last bridge I ran at an easy pace but said i wanted to finish on a positive note so I ran hardged and passed as many people as I could catch and would not allow one guy to pass me, not by force but I kkelp picking up the pace as I could feel him getting closer. Still, 2:45 was terrible when just 6 days before I ran at 90% 13.1 miles in 2:05 at City of Oaks Half Marathon. I finished and Pam was there to give me the medal, she waited past her time and still wanted to hang it on me. I was grateful my friend was there to do that! My wife and her frind april were at the finish along with Maria and her friend from Fayetteville. It was a great feeling to see friendly faces at the finish.

NOT BOOK 2 HIM, 1 OLY, and 1 13.1 HALF MARY ALL WITHIN 40 DAYS OF EACH OTHER! My weakness this year has been running due to getting past 5 years of plantar fasciitis in both feet and losing 30 pounds. I'm still 40 pounds over weight and my goal is to drop 30 w/i 9 months and focus on the running. I find that runners carry the strength of this sport since the utilize their best skill at the end to their advantage. SO, I intend to beef up my running endurance and speed along with losing the weight. I want to be like Mike, no wait, I want to be like Daryn Lambooy, and run like a bat out of hell, on crack may I add!
Post race
Warm down:

I had to sit down, I felt sick from all the sugar - gels that day! I felt awesome at augusta but here I just felt bad and it showed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I took on to much being my first year in this sport and it came to a head on the run. My body was just worn out.

Event comments:

It was well done from an overall perspective but I could not find pizza at the end, I was looking for water (it was there but I was in a daze). But my pet peev is caution on the bike course. In town there needed more people to manage traffic. I heard of and saw several potential run ins with bikes and cars and I was one of them. Drivers were not paying atteention and some came in the right lane to go around the stopped traffic, only to wait to get back into the left lane, which then blocked the biker lanes. this may have happend since I was near the last wave and by that point drivers may have been upset at the wait? I'd also suggest wilmington Ports renting ferrie boats from other port cities to carry spectators back and forth. BUT, I could not even imagine what all it takes to set one of these up, so it must be hard work!

Last updated: 2009-02-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:23 | 2078 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/28
Overall: 0/834
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra full
Course: Down Banks Channel then hard left and right and staright to the marina.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:30
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:58:48 | 56 miles | 18.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/28
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back with a partial loop. From the beach through Wilmington to Pender County
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:36
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:45:56 | 13.1 miles | 12m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/28
Performance:
Course: Out and back through downtown Wilmington.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-11-12 8:05 AM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: Beach to Battleship HIM

2009-11-12 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2510199

User image

Master
Wilmington
Subject: RE: Beach to Battleship HIM
DUDEEEEEEEEE AWESOME JOB at the race and AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEE YEAR. We have missed each other twice now . White lake and now the Swim start B2B half and I must have missed you in T2 change tent too. Proud of you man.
2009-11-12 10:16 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Harold you had a great year! I thought you had an ambitious schedule, but you finished them all. Our off seasons look to be similar. I am shooting for 189 lbs. I am going to do Augusta with you as my A race. I'll be interested to see your race schedule for next season.

Well done!

Doug
2009-11-12 3:00 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Unfortunate that it was a tougher day than you hoped for, but still you had plenty of good days in your 1st season. i think you are right about just overdoing it a touch in the last couple months. Hey Augusta rocked and now you have tons of experience to arm you for a great day in Louisville.
I appreciate all the kind words, although I am still not on enough crack to join you in Louisville. It has been awesome meeting you this year and spending time in the saddle with you. We will definitely get our fill of Old US 1 South in the coming months
Rest up and then take aim at IRONMAN LOUISVILLE because you will be great out there.
2009-11-12 5:33 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Great race, Harold. Yes, you were the badass racer this season, and I know you enjoyed every minute of it, even if it did leave you with rubber legs by the end. Congrats on an awesome first season! And that lady who cut into your lane was a total douchebag! Shame on her!

PS: I want to run like Daryn, too.
2009-11-12 9:24 PM

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Your 40 days is an inspiration- I could only hope to do that in a year! This too was my first season. keep it up good job.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach to Battleship HIM Rss Feed