General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice re: running form Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-13 3:11 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Subject: Advice re: running form

Forgive me for indulging in a personal request for advice, but maybe if someone answers it will help others as well...here goes:

Running is BY FAR my weakest link in triathlon so I've decided to focus on trying to improve now in the off-season. I have realized that I've all but neglected running form/technique in my training. So I did some research and talked with some more experienced folks and have identified my running technique "issues" (you name it, I've got it - too much vert. oscillation, overstriding, twisting at waist, etc. etc.)

As a result, I am doing short 20 second intervals along with several drill sets 2-3x a week and I can already tell an improvement. The problem is that when I try to do a longer aerobic run the "new" way - I have ZERO endurance. I can make it about 15 minutes (!?) and then my legs feel like bricks.

This is my first week of drills. I am worried about losing my run base because of all this and wondering 1 - is this normal 2 - what do I do and 3 - has anyone else been through a similar process??

Thanks in advance!

2009-11-13 3:41 PM
in reply to: #2513079

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Advice re: running form

First,  I think this is the best place to get advice on BT.  There are plenty of smart folks around here and they all genuinely want to help you.

As for running form, It's normal to feel the leg muscles get tired when you change your form.  It's actually really important for you to listen to your body because changing form can result in injuries. 

I don't want to say your friends are nuts, but I'm not a fan of big changes to someone's running form.  The reason is we have spent our whole lives building up our muscles to carry the strain of our unique running style, and it takes a long time to build up the muscles in the new area.  I get passed in marathons by a lot of ugly runners.     I generally tell folks to stop overstriding or leaning forward.  The reason is that both of these "flaws" put a big strain on your body.  Over striding is murder on the knees and leaning forward will lead to lower back problems.  Most folks will gradually develop a more balanced stride as they run more and work on running smooth.  Folks who run 100+ miles a month rarely run with their arms flying all over and with a lot of bounce.  From what I have seen the great runners may have weird strides or ticks, but they always seem to glide smooth.

I hope that helps.  If not you can tie my laces together in the transition while I'm getting ready for the swim start. 

2009-11-14 3:31 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

general tips and articles are all over the internet.  I would suggest some research.

Here is a basic tips break down:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267-268-8210-0,00.html

2009-11-15 10:14 AM

User image

Alpharetta, GA

Thanks for the tips. You make a good point about not changing too drastically after years of running. Maybe the answer is to make a few little changes and avoid a drastic overhaul - even though technically speaking that's what I need.

As for the research, I have identified my form issues and identified drills to make the changes. I haven't found much researh on implementation though. ie - how to keep up endurance base and implement new form changes at the same time.

I know with swimming you do this by alternating drills, swim in an endurance w/o. It's a little harder to do in running.

Anyway, I'm just going to keep doing the drills and focus on smaller changes.

Thanks again!

2009-11-15 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2514643

Veteran

dorkasaurusrex - 2009-11-15 11:14 AM

As for the research, I have identified my form issues and identified drills to make the changes. I haven't found much researh on implementation though. ie - how to keep up endurance base and implement new form changes at the same time.

The more you try to change your running form the more you have to reduce your mileage. If you don't reduce your miles enough your chance to get injuries goes way up, this is not easy to balance. Its much safer to reduce your miles more than you think or make very small changes in your form. 

2009-11-16 10:27 AM

User image

Limbo
So, what are the changes? 

My PT has me doing some crazy drills that make no sense to me in the pool while I recover from yet another sprain to theoretically correct an oddity in my gait (I coulda told her, the more tired I am the more pigeon toed I get).  It got me thinking about how hard it is to change gait/stride issues. 

2009-11-16 11:04 AM
in reply to: #2515859

User image

Master

Ha!  I'm the opposite of you, Kat.  When I'm tired, my toes point out like a duck.

2009-11-16 11:04 AM
in reply to: #2515859

User image

Master

Ha!  I'm the opposite of you, Kat.  When I'm tired, my toes point out like a duck.

2009-11-16 11:21 AM

User image

Limbo
Laughing I'd rather walk like a duck.  At least you're unlikely to trip on your own feet.  I've falled when too tired while trying to run because my toe got caught on my calf from pointing inward.

I'm one of the rare kids that started out pigeon toed that didn't self-correct.  I think I was about 6 or so and had to wear these awful leg braces to force my feet to realign.  It kinda worked, kinda didn't.  To say the least, I'll never be a good "barefoot runner" candidate.  Too many structural issues to "naturally" fall into a correct running gait!
2009-11-16 7:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm no coach but I have a distaste for speedwork and big form changes.  If you put in big miles (50+ a week), you'll get naturally faster and your form will improve itself.  My mary training peaked at 50mpw and I had almost no speedwork.  In the weeks before my marathon, I set a 30 second PR in the 5K and a nice 4 minute PR in the 10K.  I went on to set a 26 min. PR in the race.  My efficiency/form dramatically improved and I went from a heavy pronator shoe to more of a stability shoe.

I took some time off and I'm trying to reinvent myself as a mid/forefoot runner.  Shorter strides but more of them.  Still keeping the back straight and chest high.  My endurance is also affected but that's probably more because of the layoff.
2009-11-16 7:33 PM
in reply to: #2515995

User image

Extreme Veteran
sabrekitty - 2009-11-16 11:21 AM

I'm one of the rare kids that started out pigeon toed that didn't self-correct.  I think I was about 6 or so and had to wear these awful leg braces to force my feet to realign.  It kinda worked, kinda didn't.  To say the least, I'll never be a good "barefoot runner" candidate.  Too many structural issues to "naturally" fall into a correct running gait!

Haha, that was me too!  When I was 4 or 5, some quack doctor wanted to break my legs in several places to 'correct' my pigeon stance.  Thankfully my mother politely said 'NO!' and just stuck me in the braces for a year or so. 

As I alluded to in my other post, my gait improved pretty much by itself with big running miles.  Not sure it's for everybody but it worked for me.

2009-11-16 9:12 PM

User image

Limbo
Oh I've done big running miles.  You don't train for 50K trail races without 'em. 
2009-11-17 6:41 AM
in reply to: #2516905

User image

Extreme Veteran
sabrekitty - 2009-11-16 9:12 PM You don't train for 50K trail races. 

Fixed!

2009-11-17 8:18 AM
in reply to: #2517137

User image

Limbo
LOL  well, maybe YOU don't train for 50K trail races:-D

I'm too dumb to quit, so I do.  I may be in the back or the middle pack but I have fun running them.  I mean, sure it can be painful but it's so worth it!

(I confess, I'm far more interested in that than in triathlon, I just have trouble running through the heat of the summer and have to cross train after the heat goes up)
2009-11-18 6:26 AM
in reply to: #2517260

User image

Extreme Veteran
My hat's off to ya!  I was going to run the GUTS 40 miler in December and decided to pass after training for my last marathon.  I just got burnt out.  I am going to volunteer just to check it out.  I will do a trail ultra at some point.
2009-11-20 6:25 AM

User image

New user

Mineral Bluff
My running coach says "keep it simple....if you want to run faster....then run faster."  It really does work.  I tried changing my form using the Chi style or Pose Running.  I just got shin splints and plantar issues.  Went back to old form, shorten my stride and working on intervals and all out sprints at the HS track. Got a 5k this weekend....we will see how this pans out.  Keep running!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice re: running form Rss Feed