13.1 Marathon™ - US Road Sports and Entertainment Group
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 07m 43s
Overall Rank = 999/2030
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 74/220
Pre-race routine:

Had to wake up at 4am to be at Amber's house by 4:30. Amber drove and we grabbed her dad and three friends (one was our regular running partner, Hanna.) I ate a plain bagel and drank a large bottle of water in the car on the way there.
Event warmup:

Got in the port-o-potty line. As soon as I was done I had to go again (I drank a lot of water!) but the line was to long. Oh well! Stretched a little and tried to fix my sock at the start line.
Run
  • 2h 07m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

We had quite a group at the starting line- me, my running partners Amber & Hanna, their friend from Indiana, Sid & Marcy and Ameber's dad, Randy. I had decided not to try to keep up with my friend Amber because she was going for a sub-2 hour race. My only race I could compare with was a 2:36 (my other two races I was sick) so I wasn't going to try to go that fast! We were ready to go, but I still had to pee.

We started out and all stayed together. About mile 2 Randy fell back (he ended up feeling terrible and quit.) Then there was a tunnel that went way down and quickly way back up- that was tough!

Mile 3 Amber took a huge fall and skidded across the pavement. She got road rash on her wrists, knees, hip and ribs, but she hopped up and kept running!

We went across the (very steep to us Floridians) bridge to the beach about mile 4 1/2. From there it was a flat out and back along the ocean most of the way. So far we were all still together. At some point Amber & I got in front by a little bit. Twice we stopped at the water stations to wait for Hanna. I still had to pee, but I wasn't going to stop and lose them. I thought about going while I ran but we were driving in Amber's fiance's car so I thought that would be rude.

Oh- I took two Tylenol before the race because my back had been hurting on every run - it helped a lot. I was really surprised that I was keeping up with Amber and we were at about mile 8. She had a Garmin on but I told her not to tell me our pace - it stresses me out! Still had to pee.

I started to feel a few aches and pains - one in that spot right where your thigh meets your groin and for about a mile the ball of my right foot hurt - that was strange! The leg thing was new, too and that never totally went away.

Mile 10- 12 were super tough. Mile 12-13 I saw Amber look at her Garmin and I could tell she was speeding up a little. I told her not to tell me but I kept up with her while I was huffing & puffing.

I was never so happy to see a finish line - and to see how fast I was made it all the better!!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing! Oh wait, I would have peed again before we left.
Post race
Warm down:

Peed!! Phew. Had a cookie. Stretched. Smiled! Got on the bus back to the start line and walked about 1/4 mile back to our car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing - this was the fastest I've aver run for a long distance.

Last updated: 2009-11-09 12:00 AM
Running
02:07:43 | 13.1 miles | 09m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 74/220
Overall: 220/2030
Performance: Good
Course: Zig zag through downtown Ft.Lauderdale, over a bridge to the beach, up and back on A1A mostly along the beach
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-11-15 5:52 PM

User image

Elite
South Florida
Subject: 13.1 Marathon - Ft. Lauderdale

2009-11-15 5:56 PM
in reply to: #2515047

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: 13.1 Marathon - Ft. Lauderdale
I had no idea you were doing this!!!  I"ve been a little self absorbed I guess

WAY TO GO!!!!  HUGE PR!!!!!!  That's really, really fast!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!
2009-11-16 6:46 AM

User image

Elite
South Florida
Thanks, Mimi!  I was SO happy, but today I am SO sore!    Maybe we can see you guys again now that your big race i over and the weather is beautiful!
2009-11-16 6:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Wow, what an improvement!  You should be proud of yourself (and I think you are!)

Was Amber dissappointed?  She was trying for sub-2 hour so she didn't make her goal.  Do you think she could have made it?

Edited by maureen 2009-11-16 6:40 PM
2009-11-17 6:49 AM

User image

Elite
South Florida
Thanks, Maureen.  Yep, I am still on cloud 9 two days later!

I think Amber was a little disappointed, but after her fall I don't see how she could have done it.  I saw her yesterday and her knee and elbow were still a little swollen. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 13.1 Marathon - Ft. Lauderdale Rss Feed