United States
51F / 11C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 01m 39s
Overall Rank = 1846/4678
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 108/192
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:15, left at 4:45 after a little coffee and breakfast. Mike (my BIL) drove to Richmond with me and we arrived at 6:15 was able to get on street parking between start and finish. It was great to have Mike along... we basically goaded each other into signing up 6 weeks ago :-) He came down from Michigan for the race!
Event warmup:

Just stretching and walking. Stayed in warm ups until a little after 7 and then left those in the car and came back to the start line. Never been in a race with so many people before... it was wild.
Run
  • 2h 01m 39s
  • 13 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Post race
Event comments:

First "big" race for me and only my 2nd 1/2 Mar ever (last one was 2 1/2 years ago). Very happy with my time and results. Kept a steady pace with no miles over 9:35 other than the 1st mile which was amazing for me (I always fade in longer races). Great fans... lots of people cheering. Mike did a 1.43... he is an animal (clydesdale as well!). Ran with music (headphones) for the 1st time in awhile which I think helped me stay focused and motivated (Great Big Sea).

I was having some bad foot pain in my last week before the race and also after the race. Actually had to stop running last weekend b/c of the pain. Maybe my shoes are shot? Or perhaps going from 10K to 1/2 Mary distance in 5 weeks took a toll on me. Anyway, didn't run at all the week before the race just to give my feet every opportunity to heal up. Fortunately, was able to avoid not being able to finish. Found that by leaning forward just a bit, it was less painful (I guess it changed how I hit the ground). I'll take it easy for awhile with the running and focus on swimming and biking until I feel normal again. Probably get some new shoes the week too just to be on the safe side.

Overall though, really happy with my performance. 10 minutes faster than 2 1/2 years ago! Yay!

(Post race note: On the drive back home, started blacking out some... was very glad Mike was along so I could pull over and let him drive. Probably more dehydrated than I realized, though it seemed to start soon after we stopped at Starbucks... related?)

Last updated: 2009-10-15 12:00 AM
Running
02:01:39 | 13 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/192
Overall: 0/4678
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]