Iron Girl
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 37s
Overall Rank = 138/621
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 33/146
Pre-race routine:

Alarm went off at 4:50. Way too early for an 8:00 race. Slept in until 5:30. Power bagel with peanut butter. Walked dogs. Drove down to Tempe Town Lake with Dean. Arrived about 6:45 a.m.
Event warmup:

At 7:30, did 2 miles warm up at about 10:00 min/mile pace. Pace is a guesstimate because I had left my Garmin at home.
Run
  • 1h 28m 37s
  • 10 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Started the race mid-pack with Steph and Samantha. Dean caught me on the other side of Mill Ave and paced the entire race. My strategy was to run the first mile about 9:20, then just keep descending pace by 5-10 seconds per mile, with the final mile at 8:40. The goal was to set a new PR (sub 1:36) and the stretch goal was to break 1:30. First mile was really tough as the course was packed and it was hard to get around people. They started the 5K and 10-mile runners at the same time, which created a logjam at the start. It didn't thin out until the 5K split off back at Mill Ave on the North side of the lake.

Our pacing was pretty good. Dean lied to me everytime I asked the pace because he kept me about 15 sec faster than my strategy times to make up for the slow first mile. This worked fine until the second loop. About mile 8 I was trying to catch a woman wearing a green fanny pack, and I sped up to about 8:20 pace. I kept this pace for about 1.5 miles, and then my diaphragm constricted painfully, and about a half mile from the finish I had to stop, take some deep breaths, and then slowly get back to it. This is the second time that's happened while trying to set a PR, and Dean says it's a result of shallow, rapid breathing when pushing too fast for too long. I only stopped for a few seconds, but it was definitely not how I wanted to finish the race.

In terms of nutrition, I didn't take anything on the course. It was only 1.5 hours and I figured I could make it on the power bagel from earlier. I was right. I carried a small water bottle as usual, and splashed water on my face when I got warm, but the cool temps kept me from overheating. I swallowed a couple splashes of water, but otherwise didn't need anything else.
What would you do differently?:

Try to stick to my pacing plan, and don't start a kick until 1 mile out. I "kicked" way too early and blew up.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the expo, took pictures, tried out a Specialized bike, stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Misjudging pace.

Event comments:

This is a well-run race, although they did move back the start 5 minutes because runners were still registering at the expo. Didn't seem like a lot of volunteers. Expo was great -- the Aflack stuffed duck is always a big hit, and the pink tech tees are really cool this year. They did grab bags for food at the end to ensure everyone got food (unlike last year where the 5K'ers ate all the food and there was nothing left for us 10-milers. The only real negative is 10 miles of pounding concrete sidewalk. I would have preferred more of the packed sand along the beach, but it was very muddy this morning, so the sidewalk was actually OK. I'll likely do the race again next year.

Last updated: 2009-05-28 12:00 AM
Running
01:28:37 | 10 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/146
Overall: 167/621
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loops around Tempe Town Lake; essentially flat; sidewalk
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-11-16 4:26 AM

User image

Expert
Tempe
Silver member
Subject: Aflac Iron Girl

2009-11-16 10:47 AM
in reply to: #2515438

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Aflac Iron Girl
Great job Kim! Looks like Dean's pacing and lying to you helped out a lot at the end! Congrats on breaking 1:30!
2009-11-17 4:48 PM
in reply to: #2515438

User image

Regular
Mesa, AZ
Subject: RE: Aflac Iron Girl
Congratulations.  Sounds like a strong performance even with a little stop towards the end.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Aflac Iron Girl Rss Feed