Other Resources My Cup of Joe » PETA/Madoff's Fur coats donated to the homeless? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-16 12:55 PM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Subject: PETA/Madoff's Fur coats donated to the homeless?
I want to understand PETA, and support their mission to uphold 'People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.'  But to call for Bernard Madoffs' wifes' fur coats to be donated to the NY homeless ... wouldn't a better, and more mission specific, use be to donate the coats to orphaned animals?  I inherited mink coats and hats, and that's where they went, to provide a homey place for baby 'fursons.'

That being said, I'm not vegan, or vegetarian; just some one who ... well, likes cats quite a lot.  But they're treated ethically.  Except when they walk thu my food plate ... .

2009-11-16 1:03 PM
in reply to: #2516154

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: RE: PETA/Madoff's Fur coats donated to the homeless?

I think there's a big difference between an animal wearing its own skin as, well, its own skin, and wearing it as a coat. I don't think  zippering up a fox fur to a baby fox would do much good... then again, you said you donated your inherited coats to animals, so maybe I'm wrong?? Did they use them for beds/ comfort ?

I am big into animals and big into animal rescue (at one point we had our 3 adult cats, 5 foster kittens, and 1 stray pitbull in our 600 SF house) but I don't really get PETA. I'm more a fan of the mission statement of our local shelter: 

The Maryland SPCA is a private, nonprofit, independent organization dedicated to helping animals and people. Our mission is to improve the lives of pets and people in the community by fostering healthy animal-human relationships. We operate primarily in the Greater Baltimore Metropolitan area. We are not affiliated with any national animal organization, and we do not receive any government or United Way funding.

Our adoption center adopts out over 3,000 needy and unwanted pets each year. We focus on being progressive in the way we run our adoption center. We pride ourselves on providing premium care to the animals in a clean, pleasant environment. Our adoption staff works diligently to pair up adopters with the best animal match for their homes and lifestyles. While animals are in our care they receive high-quality food, necessary medications and vaccinations, and enrichment to make them well-adjusted and ready to be welcomed into a new home.

We also work to prevent pet abandonment by being a resource for the community. We offer behavior counseling and training courses to help keep pets in homes. Spay/neuter is also critical to our mission and we provide these services to: our adopted animals, to animals from area rescue groups and shelters and, in partnership with other groups, to feral cat colonies to reduce overpopulation and suffering. Thousands of pets and people in our community are served each year through these efforts.

2009-11-16 1:07 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
foolproof - 2009-11-16 1:55 PM I want to understand PETA, and support their mission to uphold 'People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.'  But to call for Bernard Madoffs' wifes' fur coats to be donated to the NY homeless ... wouldn't a better, and more mission specific, use be to donate the coats to orphaned animals?  I inherited mink coats and hats, and that's where they went, to provide a homey place for baby 'fursons.'

That being said, I'm not vegan, or vegetarian; just some one who ... well, likes cats quite a lot.  But they're treated ethically.  Except when they walk thu my food plate ... .

Wait?  What?  So we should give animals a warm winter coat before we give people a warm winter coat?  So animals' well being is more important than a person's? 

I mean I'm the guy who think that most homeless could do something for themselves to change their lot in life but even I think this is going overboard.
2009-11-16 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2516184

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
TriRSquared - 2009-11-16 2:07 PM
foolproof - 2009-11-16 1:55 PM I want to understand PETA, and support their mission to uphold 'People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.'  But to call for Bernard Madoffs' wifes' fur coats to be donated to the NY homeless ... wouldn't a better, and more mission specific, use be to donate the coats to orphaned animals?  I inherited mink coats and hats, and that's where they went, to provide a homey place for baby 'fursons.'

Wait?  What?  So we should give animals a warm winter coat before we give people a warm winter coat?  So animals' well being is more important than a person's? 

I mean I'm the guy who think that most homeless could do something for themselves to change their lot in life but even I think this is going overboard.

yeah... homeless folk probably could use a warm winter coat...  it gets a little chilly out in NYC at night, I'd expect... seems like a much better use, than a bed for a cat.
2009-11-16 1:17 PM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Yes, Trishie, I donated my 'furs' to orpahned baby animals, who would use the fur to bond with since they had no momma.  I also have four resuced cats.   That's what I have room for.  And I am the 'Cupcake Queen' for the Tri-County Bake Sale, and the litter girl there too!

And yes, I would think that  the furs would better serve animals being rehabilitated, rather than homeless folk.  Have you ever walked in a fur coat?  Or tried to keep it dry and clean?  Better the fur be given to a bitty, and money be found to provided a warm fleece, wool, or down coat for a cold, homeless person.

Why can't PETA  transition the fur into something their mission supports?  I'm sorry, I'm would love to understand PETA, but from what I read, they just keep promulgating this nit-picky rant.  I would love to hear from someone closer to their thought process.

edit  - the furs were used for 'fur' babies, orphaned squirrels, rabbits, opossums, tiny critters ... .  Granted, maybe not what you want returned to your backyards, but still, IMO, a better, more solid use for the apparel.

My 2-cents

Edited by foolproof 2009-11-16 1:23 PM
2009-11-16 2:15 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Is it ok to throw blood or fake blood on a homeless person caught wearing a fur coat?

2009-11-16 2:23 PM
in reply to: #2516307

User image

That's a bad idea. If anything, sell the fur coats and buy a dozen regular coats for homeless or poor people.

However, because of the whole fiduciary responsibility thing, sell the fur coats and give the money to Madoff's many creditors, which includes many charities.
2009-11-16 2:30 PM
in reply to: #2516330

User image

Extreme Veteran
Giving fur coats worth hundreds or thousands of dollars to homeless people.... what could possibly go wrong??

Could the coats be used to make nice toupees for follically-challenged critters? I'm sure there are mink currently sporting Trump-style combovers who would be grateful.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » PETA/Madoff's Fur coats donated to the homeless? Rss Feed