General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is there a such thing as a break-through run??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-16 1:27 PM

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
Subject: Is there a such thing as a break-through run???
If so, I think I found mine.  I grew up playing team sports(Soccer and Hockey) and I was always a good runner but never raced definetly didn't track times.  Didn't do a thing good for my body for 15 years and then jumped into the tri-world last spring.

Through the season I trained at about a 10 min/mi pace, started slower but settled in at that pace and stayed there regardless of how much training. Raced a touch faster but always in that range.  Last Tri was end August, then switched gears and worked up to a HMary.  Gotta say the 13.1, roughly a 10.30 pace, was the furtherest I ever gone and my goal was not to die.  My reward was taking the week off.

So here I am 8 days removed from my longest run ever, and 1 week of laziness; I was "jones'n" for a run.  I just had to get back on the horse.  (Nice day, ect.)  I thought it was gonna be a chore dragging butt around and even had my self talked into a little 4 miler to "ease" back in. 

Man did I feel great, ended up having the best run of my life.  Started too fast, felt great went faster.  Long story long... 8.5 miles - 69 mins...  8 minute pace???? How'd that happen??? Plenty of gas in the tank.  Walked in the house took a shower and went on with my day like nothing happened.

Is this normal?  Do you just wake up one day and your a runner?  Break-through?

2009-11-16 2:07 PM
in reply to: #2516230

Subject: RE: Is there a such thing as a break-through run???
There is a thing called "knocking down the wall". It is mostly a mental thing, as running is mostly mental.

It happens when a person plateaus at a certain goal time and can't seem to break it down. For instance, someone has done 10 - 5 k's and can't break the 20 min mark. However, one race it happens and they have "knocked down the wall". It is just a mental block and once you knock it over the times start to drop again quick. The next few races the person will be in the 19 min class and keep getting better until they hit the 19 min block and the fun begins again.
2009-11-16 2:52 PM

User image

Regular
Franklin, VA
First off:  That's fantastic.  That wasn't just some small increase; you really nailed it!

I'm wondering if it wasn't just you're increased distance training, but also your week off?  I'm new to the tri game, but in weight lifting it's good practice to take a week off (or "active recovery") every 6 to 8 weeks.  I don't know your common practice, but some good, quality recovery time can do wonders.

Keep up the good work.  I'm sure you're beyond stoked about your accomplishment.
2009-11-16 3:23 PM
in reply to: #2516393

User image

Sensei
Sin City
2009-11-16 3:26 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

what did your heart rate monitor tell you? 

breatkthroughs can happen, but most are a far cry from how incredible your's was.  i'd be curious to hear about your typical training intensities.  maybe you've been in a state of fatigue for an extended period.  realistically, you didn't just break through a magical barrier with your mind.

you don't make gains in running with your mind.  it's not mostly mental (though there is a component of focus and desire that can come into play).  running faster is about cardiovascular fitness and quick feet/legs.  work on some drills to improve your turnover, and keep putting in miles at an aerobic effort to make your body more efficient at running.  that's a reliable recipe for getting faster, especially for a relatively new runner.

congrats on your awesome run.  you'll crush your next half marathon!

~B

2009-11-16 6:20 PM

User image

Regular
endorphins are an amazing thing unfortunately i spend 30 nasty days of running for that 1 awesome day. it happens

2009-11-16 7:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm not sure if you had a 'breakthrough' run but today was definitely your day!  I would try to build on this great run but don't become discouraged if these results aren't immediately duplicated.
2009-11-16 8:43 PM

Master
True breakthrough runs occur after a real training boost.  Sometimes this happens to beginning runners who actually start to train consistently for a stretch, and not realize it - then they take a few days off or do less which ends up being equivalent to a "minitaper", and then rock their next run out.

False breakthrough runs do occur when your fitness is the same but better conditions prevail. A big one is going from summer temps to winter temps. Running in 75-85F is way harder than running in the ideal 45-55F, especially if you are a faster runner.  Some people train all summer at a certain pace, and are shocked when they revisit running in the fall/winter because of this effect.

Not sure what happened in your case, but regardless, keep up the good work!

2009-11-16 10:40 PM
in reply to: #2516861

User image

Veteran
Metairie
agarose2000 - 2009-11-16 8:43 PM  Running in 75-85F is way harder than running in the ideal 45-55F, especially if you are a faster runner. 

This just happened to me, spent summer crushing myself trying to maintain 9:30 training paces.  Now that it has cooled off, 9:00 is a breeze and I can crank it up to 7:30 for intervals. . .even did a 5k sub 23.

I kept telling myself all summer long that when it cooled off I was going to be good!
2009-11-17 9:02 AM

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
I appreciate the feedback.

It was a weird feeling (good weird).  It just didn't feel like a training run.  I'm normally plotting along hoping I last the distance I set out to run.  I don't normally wear a heart rate monitor,  my wife has a watch and its on the need to buy list but don't currently have one.  I kind-of gauge everything off of my breathing.  In general I try to keep the pace steady and the breathing relaxed.

I'm sure it was alot of things coming together, nothing magical or anything like that.   I was fully rested, it was a nice day, I was able to run with no real expectations, ect. 

It just really felt great, and I was really able to push without breathing heavy.  Something just kinda clicked early on,  stride opened up, breathing was super calm, and I could attack all the hills and stairs. 

Just thought I share that, to see if others had that expirence; and give some hope to those new runnners or struggling runners plotting along. 
2009-11-17 9:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Leonard Wood, MO
Yes there are things such as that.  I just had one on a race day 5K today.  I shattered my old PR by almost 4 min.

2009-11-17 9:41 AM

I have never heard anyone say running is not mental.

Running partners.... coaches... etc.

Guess there are different opinions.
2009-11-17 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Awesome run. Congrats!  I've had some big leaps, like when I got out and ingore my pace and look down to realize I'm running easy and actually going fast.  As others have said, sometime mental barriers can hold you back.  Nothing like your effort though.  I'm inspired.
2009-11-17 10:23 AM

User image

Fishers, IN
Your body knew you could do it, now you do!  The break through is in your mind.  In the future you can do it any time you know your body is in equal or better shape than the last time.  It is amazing how well the body performs after you stress it for awhile, allow it to recover (taper) and then see what it can do.

Also, it should not surprise you at all.  It takes about 10 to 14 days to receive the full benefit of a given workout.  The workout you gave it is the best any distance runner can give their body - an extended LT run!  This is why I almost always will schedule a 15 K (can't find em often enough) or a half marathon (or a 10K if nothing else) about two weeks out form a goal race.  That provides a stimulus you just can not force yourself to do otherwise.  They hurt, but they are a huge stimulus to improvement.  Next time try that two weeks out before your goal race.  Trust me it works.

Good job with the break through, now you know you are at a different level and can train accordingly.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is there a such thing as a break-through run??? Rss Feed