KOZ
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 26m 53s
Overall Rank = 165/743
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/75
Pre-race routine:

Drove to the race, ate a granola bar in the car.
Event warmup:

Jogged for 15-20 min slow with sweats on. It was 45 degrees outside. Went pee. Then ran faster back to the car to drop off sweats and back to the start. I was able to find a nice close parking spot.
Run
  • 26m 53s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I set out fast and tried to take advantage of the adrenaline rush. I noticed my breathing was too much like Karyn described with a long exhale. So I decided to focus on fast feet and slow down a touch for the 2nd mile.
(During this time I got passed by a number of young kids including two 10 year old twin girls wearing the cutest pink outfits. Go girls!)

I never saw the 2nd mile marker and so I never kicked it up a notch until I was right at the finish line. I was planning to take the 3rd mile really hard but started to convince myself that it may not be an out an back. I was confused and thought the long road to the finish was just an illusion and they were going to route us somewhere else first. I also was reading the split instead of total time on my watch. I kept waiting for it to get between 16 and 18 minutes so I would know I hit the 2nd mile. Brain Dead! Not used to these short races.
What would you do differently?:

I need a garmin!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched, ate a orange and banana, bumped into Gina and watched Shelli finish the 1/2 marathon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I should have trusted that it was an out and back and started pushing it near the last mile. This is the first 5K that I have ever taken seriously and I know I could do better. I guess I could have pushed it early and then backed off if I found out the finish was further. Oh well. This really isn't a big deal. I got top 10 in my age group and a PR! Yay!

Event comments:

I like the setup where the 1/2 marathon is a point to point and the 5K is at the finish. The 5K runners had prime parking and were there in plenty of time to see the first 1/2 marathoners finish. Fun race!

Last updated: 2009-11-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:53 | 03.11 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/75
Overall: 0/743
Performance: Good
First mile was 8.16. 2nd and 3rd mile was 18.39.
Course: Nice flat course. Out and back. 2 water stops. Missed seeing the 2 mile marker.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes