General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Quick Drafting Question / Race Rules Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-02 3:56 PM

Boston, MA
Subject: Quick Drafting Question / Race Rules
When they sat "no drafting" does that mean i cant ride behind someone? If im behind someone but dont feel like going by them at that moment, do i need to be off to one side?

2005-06-02 3:58 PM
in reply to: #167502

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Quick Drafting Question / Race Rules

Per the USAT:

5.10 Position Fouls.

In accordance with the Rules as set forth in this Section, a participant is not permitted to position his bicycle in the proximity of another moving vehicle so as to benefit from reduced air resistance. While on the cycling course, participants shall not work together to improve performance, efficiency, or position by teamwork or other joint conduct. A variable time penalty shall be imposed for any violation of this section. This section shall not apply to off-road triathlons and duathlons and shall be excluded from enforcement at those events.

(a) Illegal Positioning. Except as otherwise provided in these Rules, while on the cycling course, no participant shall permit his drafting zone to intersect with or remain intersected with the drafting zone of another participant or that of a motor vehicle. With respect to a motor vehicle (including authorized race vehicles), it is the athlete's responsibility to move out of the vehicle's drafting zone or to continually communicate to the vehicle to move away.

(b) Definition of Drafting Zone. The term "drafting zone" shall refer to a rectangular area seven (7) meters long and two (2) meters wide surrounding each bicycle. The longer sides of the zone begin at the leading edge of the front wheel and run backward parallel to the bicycle; the front wheel divides the short side of the zone into two equal parts. With respect to a moving motor vehicle, the "drafting zone" is a rectangular area extending 15 meters to each side of the vehicle and 30 meters behind the vehicle.

(c) Right-of-Way. A participant is generally entitled to assume any otherwise proper location on the cycling course provided that the participant arrives in the position first without contacting another participant. When taking a position near another participant, however, a cyclist shall not crowd the other participant and shall allow reasonable space for the other participant to make normal movement without making contact.

(d) Blocking. Cyclists who have established the right of way must not block or obstruct the progress of another participant.

(e) Passing. A participant who approaches another cyclist from the rear or from another unfavorable position bears primary responsibility for avoiding a position foul even if the cyclist being approached decreases speed. A participant must not attempt to pass another cyclist unless adequate space is available and the athlete is confident of his/her ability to pass the other cyclist. All passing is to be done to the left of the cyclist being overtaken unless otherwise specified.

(f) Position. Except for reasons of safety and when no advantage is gained, all cyclists shall keep to the right of the prescribed course unless passing.

(g) Being Overtaken. When the leading edge of the front wheel of one cyclist passes beyond the front wheel of another cyclist, the second cyclist has been "overtaken" within the meaning of these Rules. A cyclist who has been overtaken bears primary responsibility for avoiding a position foul and must immediately move to the rear and out of the drafting zone of the passing cyclist. The overtaken cyclist shall first move completely out of the drafting zone of the other cyclist before attempting to re-pass the other cyclist. In no case, however, shall a participant move into the path of another participant possessing the right of way.

(h) Exceptions. A participant may enter the drafting zone without penalty only under the following conditions:

(1) When entering the drafting zone from the rear, closing the gap, and overtaking all within no more than 15 seconds.

(2) When cyclist reduce speed for safety reasons, for course blockage, for an aid station, for an emergency, when entering or exiting a transition area, or when making a turn of 90 degrees or more; or

(3) When USA Triathlon or the Head Referee expressly excludes a section of the bicycle course from the position foul Rules because of overly narrow lanes, construction, detours, or a similar reason.

2005-06-02 4:03 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

Here are the rules regarding drafting:

5.10 Position Fouls.

In accordance with the Rules as set forth in this Section, a participant is not permitted to position his bicycle in the proximity of another moving vehicle so as to benefit from reduced air resistance. While on the cycling course, participants shall not work together to improve performance, efficiency, or position by teamwork or other joint conduct. A variable time penalty shall be imposed for any violation of this section. This section shall not apply to off-road triathlons and duathlons and shall be excluded from enforcement at those events.

(a) Illegal Positioning. Except as otherwise provided in these Rules, while on the cycling course, no participant shall permit his drafting zone to intersect with or remain intersected with the drafting zone of another participant or that of a motor vehicle. With respect to a motor vehicle (including authorized race vehicles), it is the athlete's responsibility to move out of the vehicle's drafting zone or to continually communicate to the vehicle to move away.

(b) Definition of Drafting Zone. The term "drafting zone" shall refer to a rectangular area seven (7) meters long and two (2) meters wide surrounding each bicycle. The longer sides of the zone begin at the leading edge of the front wheel and run backward parallel to the bicycle; the front wheel divides the short side of the zone into two equal parts. With respect to a moving motor vehicle, the "drafting zone" is a rectangular area extending 15 meters to each side of the vehicle and 30 meters behind the vehicle.

(c) Right-of-Way. A participant is generally entitled to assume any otherwise proper location on the cycling course provided that the participant arrives in the position first without contacting another participant. When taking a position near another participant, however, a cyclist shall not crowd the other participant and shall allow reasonable space for the other participant to make normal movement without making contact.

(d) Blocking. Cyclists who have established the right of way must not block or obstruct the progress of another participant.

(e) Passing. A participant who approaches another cyclist from the rear or from another unfavorable position bears primary responsibility for avoiding a position foul even if the cyclist being approached decreases speed. A participant must not attempt to pass another cyclist unless adequate space is available and the athlete is confident of his/her ability to pass the other cyclist. All passing is to be done to the left of the cyclist being overtaken unless otherwise specified.

(f) Position. Except for reasons of safety and when no advantage is gained, all cyclists shall keep to the right of the prescribed course unless passing.

(g) Being Overtaken. When the leading edge of the front wheel of one cyclist passes beyond the front wheel of another cyclist, the second cyclist has been "overtaken" within the meaning of these Rules. A cyclist who has been overtaken bears primary responsibility for avoiding a position foul and must immediately move to the rear and out of the drafting zone of the passing cyclist. The overtaken cyclist shall first move completely out of the drafting zone of the other cyclist before attempting to re-pass the other cyclist. In no case, however, shall a participant move into the path of another participant possessing the right of way.

(h) Exceptions. A participant may enter the drafting zone without penalty only under the following conditions:

(1) When entering the drafting zone from the rear, closing the gap, and overtaking all within no more than 15 seconds.

(2) When cyclist reduce speed for safety reasons, for course blockage, for an aid station, for an emergency, when entering or exiting a transition area, or when making a turn of 90 degrees or more; or

(3) When USA Triathlon or the Head Referee expressly excludes a section of the bicycle course from the position foul Rules because of overly narrow lanes, construction, detours, or a similar reason.

In plain English that means, stay the heck off anyone's wheel.  Seriously if you come within 3 bike lengths of someone you have 15 seconds to pass them.  Technically you can stay on their wheel right to the last second when you make the pass.  You have to finish the pass once you start it, and if someone passes you, you have to drop back 3 bike lengths before you try to re-pass. 

2005-06-02 4:23 PM
in reply to: #167512

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
What, is there an echo in here?
2009-06-05 4:33 PM
in reply to: #167538

Atlanta
I've read these rules but for some reason I don't get it. So stay back 3 bike lengths (or two bike lengths between?) Can you be within that space if you are to the left or right of them (diagonal behind)?  Can you ride next to someone? If so, how close (sounds like 1 meter)? Or is that blocking?

Or is it only blocking if a rider would have to cross the yellow line to pass.

It seems odd to me that the only legal way to travel is 7 meters back or by blowing past someone. It seems like you'd end up just holding back much of the race. I mean, is the rule "No slow passing"?

The other thing is being overtaken. So, someone is attempting to pass me. They nudge a bit ahead, and I am supposed to yield to that and fall back? I don't get it. Maybe it sounds crazy to me because I come from the the running world where racing is racing. I mean, in running, you could be running next to someone for miles trying to break the other guy. 

I'd love some clarification on these points though. Thanks.

2009-06-05 4:43 PM

User image

Elite
I'm no expert but I believe you are not allowed to ride next to somebody. If you don't want to be passed, don't let the other person's front wheel pass your front wheel, if it does, you must fall back. When you're out there it really makes sense.
The rules really do cover it all. I love seeing races enforce the rules. It's sad to see folks cheat out there. Fortunately, they do get seen and penalized.

in reply to: #2198162

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
jonmorin - 2009-06-05 4:33 PM I've read these rules but for some reason I don't get it. So stay back 3 bike lengths (or two bike lengths between?) Can you be within that space if you are to the left or right of them (diagonal behind)?  Can you ride next to someone? If so, how close (sounds like 1 meter)? Or is that blocking?

Or is it only blocking if a rider would have to cross the yellow line to pass.

It seems odd to me that the only legal way to travel is 7 meters back or by blowing past someone. It seems like you'd end up just holding back much of the race. I mean, is the rule "No slow passing"?

The other thing is being overtaken. So, someone is attempting to pass me. They nudge a bit ahead, and I am supposed to yield to that and fall back? I don't get it. Maybe it sounds crazy to me because I come from the the running world where racing is racing. I mean, in running, you could be running next to someone for miles trying to break the other guy. 

I'd love some clarification on these points though. Thanks.

if your not right behind them, but rather off to the side (either way) so as not to benefit from the lowered air resistance...you would be in violation of the blocking rule.  it seems tricky, but really it's a very easy rule to follow.  Just go out there and race your race...you'll pass and get passed, but 15 seconds is an eternity for passing.  If you can't pass someone in 15 seconds then you're just blocking someone who can.  Bottom line is that rule is there in order to prevent teamwork on the bike.  if it wasn't there, it would just be another bike ride followed by a 10 k race.

Edited by bmcgee 2009-06-05 4:44 PM

User image

Expert
Austin
If someone pulls up besides you, you have every right, and should try to speed up so that they can't pass you. If they don't get past you in the 15 seconds and theres a referee near they should get a penalty. Unfortunately there's not always a referee near by. Basically if you can pass someone pass them and pull right in front of them, then it's their problem that they're drafting. If you can't pass someone leave the three bike lengths.
2009-06-05 4:54 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
In running you don't get a ~20% effort reduction by following another runner.  Even to the side/diagonal there's a benefit.
True sneaky pros leapfrog each other every 15 seconds so they get that 5-10 seconds of drafting. It's worth the effort for them.

And yah, if the passer gets his front wheel past yours, you have to back off and drop back behind the draft limit.
2009-06-05 4:58 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Was it a quick question about drafting, or a question about drafting for a short amount of time?

I have tucked behind another racer that I knew that I could pass easily for about 8 seconds, and then push to ensure a clean pass.  I'm not sure about the payoff, but mentally it feels good to grab a tire for a couple of seconds.
2009-06-05 4:58 PM
in reply to: #2198193

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
F1longhorn - 2009-06-05 5:43 PM If someone pulls up besides you, you have every right, and should try to speed up so that they can't pass you. If they don't get past you in the 15 seconds and theres a referee near they should get a penalty. Unfortunately there's not always a referee near by. Basically if you can pass someone pass them and pull right in front of them, then it's their problem that they're drafting. If you can't pass someone leave the three bike lengths.

Not entirely true.  Once they've passed your front wheel, YOU have the obligation to drop back or you will get the penalty.

If you plan on speeding up to prevent passing and then can't maintain that speed, expect people to get pretty annoyed at you.  There's no reason to prevent someone from passing you if they are going faster.  Let them pass.

2009-06-05 5:06 PM
in reply to: #2198210

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Artemis - 2009-06-05 4:58 PM
F1longhorn - 2009-06-05 5:43 PM If someone pulls up besides you, you have every right, and should try to speed up so that they can't pass you. If they don't get past you in the 15 seconds and theres a referee near they should get a penalty. Unfortunately there's not always a referee near by. Basically if you can pass someone pass them and pull right in front of them, then it's their problem that they're drafting. If you can't pass someone leave the three bike lengths.

Not entirely true.  Once they've passed your front wheel, YOU have the obligation to drop back or you will get the penalty.

If you plan on speeding up to prevent passing and then can't maintain that speed, expect people to get pretty annoyed at you.  There's no reason to prevent someone from passing you if they are going faster.  Let them pass.

I concur.  Until I am in a position with NO ONE in front of me (as in I am leading the race ha!) the only thing that I am racing against is the clock.
2009-06-05 5:23 PM
in reply to: #2198222

User image

Champion
to the poster that said that only in triathlons do you ahve passing rules, and not in running, this is not true, in track you have to be a certain number of steps/feet ahead of another running before you can cut back over, this is the same thing.
2009-06-08 3:40 PM

Atlanta
Thanks for all the clarification. What if the transition is crowded and a bunch of people leave together? Or is that uncommon? Or do you pretty much figure out where to settle in even in a crowded situation?
2009-06-08 4:08 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua

I hear you there.  I had a number of people just come up to pass and then hang to my side and not move ahead.  Annoying.  Go ahead and move in front so I can pass you back. 

Edited by dexter 2009-06-08 4:10 PM
2009-06-08 4:15 PM

User image

Giver

F1longhorn - 2009-06-05 5:43 PM If someone pulls up besides you, you have every right, and should try to speed up so that they can't pass you.

If you have the legs and lungs to do that repeatedly, then you aren't riding hard enough to begin with.

Triathlon isn't a bike race.

You'd be better off letting that slightly-faster person pass you, and then upping your pace to legally draft them, staying three lengths back.

2009-06-08 4:16 PM

User image

Giver

F1longhorn - 2009-06-05 5:43 PM If someone pulls up besides you, you have every right, and should try to speed up so that they can't pass you.

If you have the legs and lungs to do that repeatedly, then you aren't riding hard enough to begin with.

Triathlon isn't a bike race.

You'd be better off letting that slightly-faster person pass you, and then upping your pace to legally draft them, staying three lengths back.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Quick Drafting Question / Race Rules Rss Feed