New York Road Runners
46F / 8C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 30m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Well, for one, do anything I can not to freeze my buns off! (Note to self - always get race packet BEFORE the day of the race!!) I was there 1.5 hours early, so did a lot of delicious stretching and warming up, which felt really wonderful. As well as broke out my sexy dance moves, of course. I listened to my friends and family warm up mix, which is just so great. Did NOT drink enough water day before the race, and the apartment is so dry, so I woke up with a headache. Sadness.
Breakfast: 1 german chocolate cake larabar (skip next time) 1 piece challah, 1 hard-boiled egg.
Event warmup:

Trapeze style stretching, traditional run stretching, etc.
Run
  • 45m
  • 4 miles
  • 11m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Blech.
What would you do differently?:

A lot.
First of all, don't dismiss any race, no matter how short it is. I forgot both my sunglasses (which would have been nice) and a bag to store stuff. Both would have been helpful, as I quickly overheated with my jacket on, but had to keep it on because I didn't want to loose it.
Also, I need to get over the self-worth being totally tied into running, because it's just not fun when I hate myself because people are passing me. And I'm talking, hate. It sucks, and makes running on a gorgeous autumn day a 4 mile journey into hell. Not worth it.
Also, make absolute certain that there is no dairy in the food I eat the day before, and should probably always eat at home if I can. I'm pretty sure some of the innocuous food I ordered for dinner had devil juice (milk) in it, and that could account for the cramps.
Also, don't just download a mix of music (IE running through the 70's) as half the songs sucked, and made me not happy.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, had some water, went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramps!!!
Dead legs, bad attitude during. (Had meditated and everything before.)

Event comments:

Awesome race for a great cause. Beautifully organized with eager volunteers, plenty of drink stations, and a great crowd. It's a "small, hometown race" with 3,000 people!!! Only not 4 stars because the post race activities were really bad. Also, apples are not a great post race food for everyone (they can make me sick) and all they had were bagels and apples. Bananas, people, bananas!

Last updated: 2009-11-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:45:00 | 04 miles | 11m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: First of all, there were 3,000 people. Wow. I got very anxious, as I was neck to neck with so many people for first 1/4 mile, and I'm not that great with crowds. Also, I cramped from the first minute, which sucked. I ran through it, but it was just so painful. I also felt slow, and that my legs were really dead. They didn't want to move! However, around mile 3, I felt that, "oh, this is why I'm doing it" feeling, and before I knew it, it was over.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes