General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First tri tomorrow. A few logistical questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-03 10:24 AM

Veteran
Subject: First tri tomorrow. A few logistical questions

It's a 1000 yard swim, a 14 mile bike and a 3 mile run.

1.  What bike tools should I take on the ride?  Do I even need to worry about tools on a ride so short? 

2.  How soon should I start warming up for the swim?  It's a nice lake, I swam there the other day and the water is not too cold.  I'm not wearing a wetsuit.

3.  To say that running is the weakest link for me would be an understatement.  I have done very, very little running.  I may very well be walking a portion of it.  With that in mind, should I go all out on the bike portion since my running split will be dismal anyway?

4.  I have a camelbak.  I'm not sure what it does to me aerodynamically.  It's a backpack type but it lies rather flat on my back when empty.  Whenever I reach for my water bottle, my speed drops by about 2 mph. Lately I've been riding with water in the camelback and Gatorade in a water bottle for quick energy.  I could wear the camelbak under my jersey.    That would solve the aerodynamic issue.  But that would create clothing issues at T2.  Or I could not take it at all.  If so, then what should I put in my water bottle?

5.  I volunteered at a triathlon in April that was sponsored by the same organization (TBF racing) and they had a problem with transition space.  I have my own bike rack.  Would they let me use it?  More than once,  a whole row of racks fell down.

I'll post a few more questions as the day goes on.

Thanks

2005-06-03 10:34 AM
in reply to: #167926

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
Subject: RE: First tri tomorrow. A few logistical questions
I'll give this a shot..
MrCjolsen - 2005-06-03 9:24 AM

1. What bike tools should I take on the ride? Do I even need to worry about tools on a ride so short?

I would just take enough to fix a flat.. Since this is your first tri you'll certianly want to finish.. No big deal trying to shave off such a small amount of time from the bike by not carring tire changing implements..

2. How soon should I start warming up for the swim? It's a nice lake, I swam there the other day and the water is not too cold. I'm not wearing a wetsuit.

1000 yards is a long way for a sprint. Get in with your goggles and make sure all your equipment works. as for how long/far you warm up.. I'd just get used to the water.. maybe 200 yards or so.. real easy.

3. To say that running is the weakest link for me would be an understatement. I have done very, very little running. I may very well be walking a portion of it. With that in mind, should I go all out on the bike portion since my running split will be dismal anyway?

Save some for the run.. Push the bike but I personally wouldn't go "all out"

4. I have a camelbak. I'm not sure what it does to me aerodynamically. It's a backpack type but it lies rather flat on my back when empty. Whenever I reach for my water bottle, my speed drops by about 2 mph. Lately I've been riding with water in the camelback and Gatorade in a water bottle for quick energy. I could wear the camelbak under my jersey. That would solve the aerodynamic issue. But that would create clothing issues at T2. Or I could not take it at all. If so, then what should I put in my water bottle?

If you are comfortable riding with the Camelback.. go for it. I wouldn't personally be too concered with the "areoness" of it.. It'll probably make the run much better for you

5. I volunteered at a triathlon in April that was sponsored by the same organization (TBF racing) and they had a problem with transition space. I have my own bike rack. Would they let me use it? More than once, a whole row of racks fell down.

They probably won't let you use it but if you want to i'd ask the race director. you know.. something like.. "Hey .. since all of ya'll stuff kept falling over last time.. can I bring my own rack??" hehe.. Might not go over really well though..

Good luck.. don't forget.. HAVE FUN!

ws
2005-06-03 10:38 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

First, good luck and remember to have fun!  Here are my thoughts:

1. If the ride is long enough to get a flat, bring some tools unless you want to walk the rest or DNF.  Bring a spare tube, tire levers and an inflator.  I flatted in the last few miles of my first tri--a 19mi ride.

2. I'd warm-up for the swim as close to your start as you can.

3. If running is your weakest, I'd want to hold back a little on the bike.

4. No camelback.  It's a short race.  One water bottle should do.  Either water or gatorade, whichever you prefer.

5. No idea, but probably not.

2005-06-03 10:45 AM

User image

Expert
White House, TN

Hey Chris,

Not that I am any sort of expert, but I think I have some general answers for you.

1.  At the minimum you need: a spare tube, tire levers, a patch kit, and inflation (pump, CO2, whatever.)  The biggest worry, even on a short course, is a DNF from a flat.  So, have a spare tube and a patch kit so that you can handle 2 flats, which would be worse case scenario.  I usually bring a small multi-tool along as well, but most adjustments and tightenings are made the day before the race.

2.  I didn't warm up for the swim in my last tri, but everyone else did it last.  Most people I saw either biked or ran a bit first and then jumped in the water right before the start.  Many were warming up right until the assembly time to send off the waves.  I would say 15 min. or so would be fine.

3.  Personally, I think the answer to this is in your attitude.  It sounds as if you're already resigned to a poor run finish, therefore it doesn't make sense to save anything for a portion that you've decided to do poorly at.  If this is how you feel while on the bike, then go for it.  If you decide to give the run a decent chance, then you might want to back off a bit.  Biking does use some different muscles than running, so even if you go "all out" on the bike, you might still have something left for the run.  Anyway, the key here is going to be your attitude.  Go by feel on this one.

4.  For this length of triathlon, hydration *shouldn't* be an issue.  Personally, I think the camelbak is overkill.  Have you taken anything other than water on the bike?  Have you used gels or energy drinks (like Gatorade) or something similar?  Usually, I take two bottles of water and a gel pack on the bike.  I drink water as much as possible and take the gel about half-way through the ride.  This usually carries me through the run, which will probably have water available as well.  I know you said that your speed drops when you reach for water, but the hassle of a camelbak at T1 and T2 will be greater than the speed loss of the bottles.  I'd leave the camelbak at home and use the bottles for water and/or energy drinks.  That being said, if you haven't trained with energy drinks or gels, don't try them on race day.  Nothing new on race day. (Just read my race report from Fort Yargo to see how I learned this the hard way!)

5.  On this one, I'll have to defer to someone else.  As I read the USAT rules, it says that equipment must be in the bike corral but doesn't say you have to use the provided racks.  There is some issue of impedence, so you'd have to be sure you were out of the way.  Basically, all I have is a non-answer.  Maybe someone else more knowledgeable can give you an answer.

Good luck tomorrow!  Remember our motto: DFL is better than DNF is better than DNS!

2005-06-03 10:48 AM

User image

Elite
San Diego
MrCjolsen - 2005-06-03 7:24 AM

1.  What bike tools should I take on the ride?  Do I even need to worry about tools on a ride so short? 

2.  How soon should I start warming up for the swim?  It's a nice lake, I swam there the other day and the water is not too cold.  I'm not wearing a wetsuit.

3.  To say that running is the weakest link for me would be an understatement.  I have done very, very little running.  I may very well be walking a portion of it.  With that in mind, should I go all out on the bike portion since my running split will be dismal anyway?

4.  I have a camelbak.  I'm not sure what it does to me aerodynamically.  It's a backpack type but it lies rather flat on my back when empty.  Whenever I reach for my water bottle, my speed drops by about 2 mph. Lately I've been riding with water in the camelback and Gatorade in a water bottle for quick energy.  I could wear the camelbak under my jersey.    That would solve the aerodynamic issue.  But that would create clothing issues at T2.  Or I could not take it at all.  If so, then what should I put in my water bottle?

5.  I volunteered at a triathlon in April that was sponsored by the same organization (TBF racing) and they had a problem with transition space.  I have my own bike rack.  Would they let me use it?  More than once,  a whole row of racks fell down.

I'll post a few more questions as the day goes on.

Thanks

What bike tools should I take on the ride? Do I even need to worry about tools on a ride so short?
I would check your bike out thoroughly before and I don't think you need any tools for a 14 mile ride.

How soon should I start warming up for the swim?
I usually don't get in much of a swim warm up, but I have heard that you can never be too warm, so if it feels right, do it. They might not let you in too early, maybe a wave a two before yours. You will need to check with the Race director.

should I go all out on the bike portion since my running split will be dismal anyway?
I say go don't hold back on the bike, but also try to run the whole thing :)

Camelback
I'm not a fan of the camelback. I don't think you will lose too much time reaching for a bottle compared to the time it will take to put on/off the camelback. For 14 miles I guess either the Gatorade or water should work for you....your choice

I have my own bike rack. Would they let me use it?
You will have to check with the Race Director, but I don't think they will let you use your own rack, mainly because people would rack their bikes all over the place.
Hope that helped
Tom

I have changed my mind...you should bring a tube and CO2. When you said tools I was thinking of TOOLS, but you should have stuff to change a tire.

Edited by madcow 2005-06-03 11:17 AM
2005-06-03 10:48 AM

Sydney Australia
Subject:

2005-06-03 11:54 AM

User image

Expert
So you're doing TBF's Tri for Fun tomorrow? Me too! If you see me after the race, say "Hi".

Mike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First tri tomorrow. A few logistical questions Rss Feed