Cliff Bar and some Gatorade.
Event warmup:

The first 10 miles
Run
  • 11h 26m 32s
  • 50 miles
  • 13m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Run started rather uneventfully. After about a mile walk, we arrived at a point where the crowd was backing up, and then the horn sounded and families and friends scurried out of the way. And so we ran.

The rest of the course is just a blur of brief highlights. I recall the first 5 miles being extremely crowded and treacherous, as we wound along the AT which was a mine-field of slippery rocks. The challenge through this part was, not just not falling down, but also trying to maintain a minimal pace, so as not be too far behind when we hit the C&O.

After winding down some steep switch backs, we arrived at the Weaverton rest stop, a true oasis. Bunches of cheery volunteers handed me P,B&J, Chips, Pretzels, M&Ms, Gatorade, and refilled my water bottles. From there it was onto the C&O.

On the C&O we could really settle into our rhythm of 7 mins running, 3 mins walking. The aid stations were very closely spaced through the middle section, usually one every 2-3 miles. Sometime around mile 23, things really started to hurt for me. I stole a couple Ibuprofen from Eddie, and that cheered things up a touch. It was around that point that we showed up at an aid station advertising Hot Soup... mmm... mmm... mmm... Good. Chicken broth is one of those things that only seems consumable after running for 5 hours.

Eddie and I alternated responsibility of dragging one another along for a while. At mile 34 - the Miracle at the 34th Mile - I popped a couple Endurolytes and pressed on. This got me through mile 38, where things had to change. You see, there was a 4:00 cutoff at the 38 mile mark, we didn't know that until we got there at 3:53. Inspired by our near miss on the cutoff, we got down to business. We made the next aid station, 3.3 miles away in about 35 minutes, got our complimentary reflective vest, a scampered on, thinking we had another cutoff to make.

After we got our vests, the course followed rolling country road, and Eddie and I spent the rest of the run calling out land marks to either run to or stop at. We were still a little concerned about cutoffs, but we were running through a large group of racers, and didn't since much urgency, so we took our time. When we reached the next aid station, it was clear that the previous one was the final cut off point, and we had went through there about 30 minutes early, so we were clear to the finish. We just had to make the last 6 miles in 2 hours.

I can remember thinking how ridiculous that challenge seemed. I can run 6 miles in under 50 minutes, I usually walk faster than 3 miles an hour, how can I not run 6 miles in 2 hours. My legs had a different take on the challenge, for every time I started running, they groaned reluctantly, and begged me to continue walking.

There was an aid station every 2 miles along those roads, and the Coke and hot chicken soup was all I cared about at that point. As we went past that final aid station, with 1.8 miles to go, we finally threw out a goal time. It was just a little after 6:00, so it seemed we might make it by 6:30. A final chug of some extra hot Chicken soup and we were on our way.

We ran past a man receiving medical attention - it appeared he had fallen and broken his glasses. I really hope he was ok and able to make it, he had gone too far. Our journey took us past a number of road marshals who continued to give us encouragement in spite of watching the same section of road for hours. And finally, one last road guard point to some lights up ahead and said that was the finish, and if we listened closed we could hear the announcer. So we ran. It was still about half a mile, so we picked a couple more landmarks, walk at this light pole, run at that sign. Finally, within sight of the finish clock, we agreed on one more landmark, at that final light pole we would open up our stride, run faster, and finish strong.

So we ran through the lights of the finish, into the darkness behind. The announcer was to busy telling stories of the lady in front of us that was finishing her 21st JFK 50 miler, to call our names individually, or maybe I didn't hear. But before I realized I had stopped running, a kind hand was on my arm, guiding me to a seat, and helping taking my chip.

The running was done, and so we walked.
What would you do differently?:

Have a more developed base. Get to the start a bit earlier, to beat the crowd.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking to the gym, a little light stretching

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience.

Event comments:

We got one slice of cold pizza at the finish before they temporarily ran out. Massage was $20 for 15 minutes, so we wouldn't have paid for it, even if we could. Showers and bag pickup were available, but after a little snacking, we headed to the bus which took us back to our car.

Last updated: 2009-11-06 12:00 AM
Running
11:26:32 | 50 miles | 13m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 76/93
Overall: 93/1013
Performance: Average
Course: Hilly and rocky for the first 16 miles, along the AT. Then a marathon along the flat C&0. Ends with a little over 8 miles off rolling hills along roads into Williamsport
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-11-22 9:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alexandria, VA
Subject: JFK50 miler

2009-11-22 9:20 PM
in reply to: #2526359

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: JFK50 miler
Congratulations. An awesome accomplishment.
2009-11-22 9:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Great job!  I am doing my first 100k in Jan.-I think my race report could get ugly!  CONGRATS!!!! 
2009-11-22 10:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Holy cow, we finished back to back in the standings! :-)  I passed a pack of 4 or so right before the finish, were you in that pack?

That is so funny, the only BTers that I know of, finishing back to back.

Great job!  It's a tough race.

2009-11-23 2:43 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
I was at the finish line of the JFK, what a great race.  Congratulations on finsihing an ultra!
2009-11-23 6:20 PM
in reply to: #2527574

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Well done!!  You rocked it and did the Ragnar team proud.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » JFK50 miler Rss Feed