View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Washington County, Maryland
United States
Total Time = 11h 26m 18s
Overall Rank = 748/1013
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 223/298
Pre-race routine:

Harvest Bar and Gatorade to eat, head to the gym and keep warm inside while we wait for the pre-race meeting. Pre-race meeting is not much, and there is no time for bathrooms after the meeting. But, really, if you are doing 50 miles, does it matter if you are in the bathroom when the race starts or have to stop at the aid station?
Run
  • 11h 26m 18s
  • 50.2 miles
  • 13m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Due to a knee injury, and feeling sick heading into the race, I did not expect to actually run much of this race before backing out. Just days prior, I couldn't imagine running 5 miles much less 50. I took off almost a full 2 weeks of running heading into race day, in an effort to heal up. The previous day, it still hurt so I had my head set on just running to Weverton and then backing out. Then at least I would get the Appalachian Trail piece in, which is my favorite.

My friend Roger and I are pretty similar runners, and sort of expected to run together for quite a while. We got to the starting line just a few minutes before the 7am gun. Then it is a long slow climb up to the Appalachian Trail. There are two contradicting issues in this section, as you need to save yourself on the hills, but at the same time you know there are 1000 runners hitting the trail at the same time and you want to get ahead of as many as possible before you are restricted to a single track trail. We ignored passing people, and decided to take it easy for the most part.

Once on the AT, it became obvious that a lot of people who sign up for this race, are not trail runners. Some people can handle rocks, some can't. The ones who can't, block the trail for dozens of runners. I tried to move around these people, pulling Roger along. Still thinking I am only running 16 miles today. I also neglected to think, that the aid stations on this section are very spread apart, so I needed to focus on hydration.

At Reno Monument Road, we run onto a paved road that winds along the ridge, with significant steep hills. By the time we reach the summit at mile 5.5, we have climbed 1100 feet from the start. After we summit, it is back to the trail and rocky terrain heading down into Gathland. At Gathland, we get our first view of spectators, lining the green pasture of the area. It was pretty nice. I grabbed a cookie and not enough Gatorade, and continued on. I was also carrying Perpetuem but was not drinking it (are you thinking that something is coming at some point?).

Out from Gathland is a some uphill, and more rocks. Still passing people in a narrow trail, pretty fun. We are a lot faster than any of our 3 training runs on this course. But I am saying to myself that it's the risk taking, not the level of effort, that is increased. We are also starting to pass 5am starters, which is pretty amazing. My knee started giving me issues, so much so that I can no longer bend that knee in order to jump over logs and such. Makes things a bit more risky.

Heading down the switchbacks, I run into a hiking friend coming the other direction. Mary! What a wonderful friend to run into. I stop and talk to her for a couple of minutes while Roger heads on. Does a couple of minutes matter over 50 miles? We come off the trail at 3:11, which is pretty fast. At mile 15.5, Weverton is a HUGE pack of people. So much so that I got confused as to where to go next. Pretty exciting though. A dog appears, running on the trail, that has been running with us for easily 5 miles now. Pretty funny.

Now we hit a significant aid station before heading onto the flat C&O Canal for 26.3 miles. I grab a PB&J and probably not enough Gatorade, catching Roger now because he goofs off at aid stations. My knees felt pretty good on the flat surface so I decided to keep going until I had to bow out. I decided to settle into a 8/2 run/walk plan. By this point I really don't know what mile I am at; just letting them fly by, and it is working. The 8/2 plan did not seem like fun, the run was too long and the walk too long, so I went to 4/1. That lasted until maybe mile 30, when I had to give that up as well. Roger is still with me, and I seem to be pulling him along, and he makes comments about him feeling like he's about to bonk. Somewhere between mile 30-34, Roger decides that he wants to do sub 10 hours. I don't care what I do, so he heads off and I say that I am going to walk a while until I feel better.

I neglected to think that the C&O Canal section would have some many leaves getting into my shoes. I thought the main shoe issue would be on the AT, but I had to empty my shoes many times on the C&O Canal. Those wearing gators on their shoes seem pretty smart.

The next miles include significant walks. At some point it was obvious that I am lacking hydration. The fact that I did not plan this race because I did not expect to do it, was hitting me. I am still not suffering horribly, but running just ain't happening. Breathing gets labored. I start figuring out what it would take to hit each aid station's cutoff times, which I wrote on the back of my bib. It would take 16 min miles for me to reach the finish before the deadline. I am not confident at all about 16 minutes miles because I seem to be walking at about 17:30.

I decide that I need to really work on hydration, and I decide to suck down everything I can until I have to use some facilities. I dumped my Perpetuem because the thought of that spoiling was not pleasant. Took my first gel which seemed to help, and I was able to run some spots again. The walking breaks were plentiful but not discouraging, because it was a beautiful day outside. A high of 60, but it got colder during the later miles of the race.

I finally had to pee, yeah! Maybe I can recover a bit here. I try to drink soup at the aid stations and get more salt in me. One aid station had a Christmas theme, and I got my picture taken with Santa Claus! Hey, it's a 50 mile race and I am walking, why not?

In one of my bad walking moments in the 30-40 mile range, I spot some gear that someone threw down on the trail. Hmm.. there's a bottle that says Tylonel. I wonder if there are pills in there. A-hah! I take two pills from the trail and hoped they were ok. See what happens in ultra races?

In the late 30s, I did a check on my time versus mileage and found that I could do 20 minute miles and finish in time. Yeah!! I think I can do that. At about mile 39 I hear that water from the dam, which marks the point where we leave the C&O Canal. That gets me going and I am able to run a good .5-.75 miles.

Before coming off the canal, I had issues in both knees, so I had to decide which one would get the knee brace I was wearing, so I had to switch it from the left to the right, which is pretty funny. But it seemed to work. Just have to balance the pain the rest of the way.

After we come off the canal, it's a paved road, but it's a walkable steep hill. ugh. I'd rather have the trail. I am still sucking down fluids as much as I can to recover from my earlier hydration problems. Problem is, there are no port-a-potties along this section, and we are now in residential areas. In fact, the whole course seemed to lack potties; the only saving grace was that we were always in the woods.

So now I am running to the nearest potty. It was a good 4 miles away and I do not have energy to run 4 miles. So I had to find a spot. Then it gets dark and we head into Downsville, the last significant aid station. More fluids, and more needed potty breaks. In all I had to have taken a potty break 4-5 times in the last 8.4 miles.

Though I ran well coming off the canal, at Downsville I fell back into "unable to run" mode. I ended up walking most of the last 4 miles, though I did run the last 1/2 mile when I saw the finish.

Once done, I see Roger, who came in at 9:57. Woah! And then I get greetings from Terps421 from BT! Wow, that was a nice surprise. Thanks to you both. Linda notices that my hands are swollen. I looked this up later and it appears that I did not take in enough salt. I only had 3 salt tabs all day. Dumb. This could've made my whole race.

What would you do differently?:

Actually make a plan ahead of time. More hydration, more sodium. Possibly hold back on the Appalachian Trail section. I could've done significantly better than 11:26. But really, I didn't care what time I finished, and 11:26 is perfectly fine.
Post race
Warm down:

Headed into the gym, sat down, couldn't do much. Eventually got up and took a shower and got some pizza. They were out of pizza for a while which was annoying, and the race cleans up and disappears not long after the last runner comes in. Had to wait quite a while for the bus, that was pretty annoying.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hydration, low sodium

Last updated: 2009-08-04 12:00 AM
Running
11:26:18 | 50.2 miles | 13m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/298
Overall: 0/1013
Performance: Below average
Course: 2.4 miles uphill from Boonsboro to the Appalachian Trail, 13 miles of the Appalachian Trail on South Mountain, 26.3 miles of the flat C&O Canal, and 8.4 miles of rolling hills headed towards Williamsport.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-11-22 11:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: JFK 50 Mile

2009-11-23 11:42 AM
in reply to: #2526492

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: JFK 50 Mile
An accidental 50 miler. Awesome.
2009-11-23 12:32 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
First of all, finishing a 50 mile race when you did not plan on it is an accomplishment in itself! 
It is interesting that you had to start out fast to get a spot on the AT so you would not be stuck behind lots of people.  And it must have felt good to pass some 5am starters.  You mention hydration  being a problem for you so how will you take in more fluids in the future; I am curious since there were not as many aid stations as you would expect for an ultra? 
Well, congratulations on a big accomplishment and especially with your injuries it is really great how you dug down deep and finished!  I find it very inspiring watching the finishers of the JFK!
2009-11-23 2:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Well I did train for the 50 miler, in the "Reston Runner" way anyway.  I just took off the last 2 weeks and was sick, and didn't expect to run very far. :-)

For hydration in training, I was sucking down 4 bottles of gatorade in the Appalachian Trail section, and during the race, I did maybe 2 cups?  So, if I had planned this correctly, I would've been carrying a bottle that I would be drinking during the run.  As it was I carried and 8 hour bottle of Perpetuem gook and barely drank from that.

I should've been drinking at least a whole bottle of some drink, from aid station to aid station, plus drinking more at the aid stations.  I got to hear stories of people's plans, after we were done, and most people treated the course like a buffet.  I did not.

For sodium, I needed to be sucking down the Endurolytes offered.  I carried Lava Salts which are about the same but I didn't really touch them.  Hard to explain why you do the things you do in a race.  You have to plan these things out in advance and force yourself to stick to the plan at least initially.

I probably would've done 1-2 salt tabs per hour if I did it again.

2009-11-23 4:15 PM

User image

Randolph, NJ
WOW I really enjoy reading your race reports! Congrats again on a job well done. Thats why you are our mentor!
2009-11-24 6:12 AM

As always, you impress me. You actually make the impossible seem possible. Thanks for continuing to write these very realistic, detailed trip reports!

2009-11-25 12:13 AM

User image

Veteran
GREAT JOB!
2009-11-26 4:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alexandria, VA
Good job struggling through the race, very impressive effort.

I can say that the endurolytes helped alot for me. Also, don't be ashamed of the tylenol dosing, my running partner and I consumed a bunch of Ibuprofen through out, due to various lingering training injuries that were popping up.

Im not real sure how the finish went down. I know we sprinted the last 100m or so, and passed one lady, a yellow tagger, in the finishing shoot. But I don't know if we got passed in that last half mile or not. I am thinking that we were still moving along pretty quick at that point.

We had a fire lit under our bums after we went through the 34 mile check point 7 minutes ahead of the cutoff.

I was wondering if anybody else from BT was going to be there, kind of a bummer we couldn't meet up.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » JFK 50 Mile Rss Feed