www.tryevents.ca
6C / 43F
Precipitation
Total Time = 22m 21s
Overall Rank = 5/52
Age Group = M 50-59
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Drove from Vancouver to Surrey. Arrived at site half an hour before start. Had a bit of H2O en route to hydrate a bit.
Event warmup:

Cold and wet out. Didn't think it was going to rain as Vancouver was pretty dry when I left so just threw on a sleeveless running shirt. Pretty much stayed nice and warm inside my truck until 5 minutes prior to race start. Warm up consisted of getting out of the truck and jogging to the start line.
Run
  • 22m 21s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 28s  min/km
Comments:

Did not bring my "A" game to this race. Didn't mentally prepare for it. Got bummed because of the weather and just didn't bring it or get into it. For some reason, I wore my HRM for this run but the strap was too loose and kept wanting to creep down. Tugged it up a few times within the first kilometer but gave up and let it fall to my waist.
My plan was to start off slowly and build up to a good pace and try to sprint to the end. Started off ok but got caught up in the excitement and went out too fast for the first 1.5 kms. Couldn't believe how quickly the 2 km marker came up. Kept pace with a girl about 20 yards in front of me but began to lose her on the first couple of small inclines (have to practice more hill training). Started to feel sluggish after that and fell into a comfortable, but slower, pace. Saw the leaders going by in the opposite direction as I neared the turnaround point and marveled at how fast they were running especially the frontrunner, he was flying.
Kept on and saw the 4 km sign and picked it up to the finish line where I ran a bit faster but didn't sprint to the finish. Was hoping for a 21:30ish time but wasn't surprised to see the clock showing 22+ minutes as I passed the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

Do a better job of mentally preparing for a race. Put in more mileage and continue to work on the cardio as well a speed work and hill training.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water, got in my truck and drove back to Vancouver. I was outta there in a flash.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, commitment, and dedication.

Event comments:

Wish I would have stayed after the race to take in some of the food and chat with the other racers. The race director seemed like a nice guy. All of the volunteers I saw during the race were great and cheering everyone on despite having to stand in the rain and cold, kudos to them!

Last updated: 2009-10-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:21 | 05 kms | 04m 28s  min/km
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 5/52
Performance: Average
Course: Single loop around and through Bear Creek Park. Some trail running but mostly on asphalt or sidewalks. Fairly flat course with no real elevation of significance.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-11-23 2:03 AM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Subject: Bear Creek Classic

2009-11-23 7:30 PM
in reply to: #2526563

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: Bear Creek Classic

Nice effort in cold and wet weather.
Top 5, too.  Way to go!!
kelly

2009-11-24 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2526563

User image

Expert
Burnaby, BC
Subject: RE: Bear Creek Classic

Congratulations!  Glad you enjoyed it, it's a nice small race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bear Creek Classic Rss Feed