General Discussion Race Reports! » Cleveland Fall Classic Half Marathon & 5k Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cleveland Fall Classic Half Marathon & 5k - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Strongsville, Ohio
United States
Cleveland West RoadRunners Club
Total Time = 1h 46m 45s
Overall Rank = 210/558
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 22/45
Pre-race routine:

Showed up, got race packet and then stood around and talked.
Event warmup:

None
Run
  • 1h 46m 45s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Went into the race with no specifice half marathon training. My longest run since my last Half was 8 miles and it was very slow, although I have been running more recently. I went in wanting to get my time into the 1:40's so I sent my garmin Virtual Partner at 1:49:59. I figured I would go hard as I could as long as I could. Race morning I was having GI issues so did not know if I had a chance to PR. Got up extremely early to make sure stomach would not be a issue.

Tried to start near the front so get away from the masses. Started off feeling great and just went with it. 4 of 5 miles at the start were sub 8:00 pace. I was still running 8:00 pace at mile 10 (this is probably the fastest I have ever run 10 miles even in training). Around 10 I started to hit the wall but was still running in the 8:30 pace. By 12 I was spent and my stomach started cramping and I just wanted to finish to hit to restroom. I think if it was not for my stomach issues I would have been able to cut a minute or so off. My time is when my watch said 13.1 miles since the course was slightly long.
What would you do differently?:

Train and eat better leading up to race.
Post race
Warm down:

None

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Did not train for this race so over all I am please with 4:30 Half Marathon PR

Event comments:

Fun race. Parking can be a nightmare and weather can vary from year to year. Apparently it was 11 last year but if you want a flat fast course this is the race for you. They really need to put a few restrooms on the actual course and figure out the parking situation. They could also use more restrooms at the start. There was probably less than 10 for 500+ half marathons plus the 5K.

Last updated: 2009-11-15 12:00 AM
Running
01:46:45 | 13.1 miles | 08m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/45
Overall: 45/558
Performance:
169 avg
Course: 2 loop in Cleveland Metropark Mill Stream Reservation. Flat. 115 feet of climbing in 13 miles so no hills whatsoever.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-11-23 10:40 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: Cleveland Fall Classic Half Marathon & 5k
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cleveland Fall Classic Half Marathon & 5k Rss Feed