Philadelphia Marathon
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 23m 9s
Overall Rank = 4875/7189
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 212/258
Pre-race routine:

Went out with friend to Monks and Nodding Head. Mussels and Belgian Beer. ummmm.

Actually, it was all in moderation, and then work called at midnight, and was up for the next next several hours dealing with a non-emergency crisis. 3 hours of sleep, but not all at once.
Event warmup:

Muffin, PB, 1/2 banana, and water, some coffee. Walked around to find my chute. Some stretching and moving around to keep warm.
Run
  • 2h 23m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first half marathon. March 2 of this year, I ran 2 minutes for the first time in about 20 years. Longest I ever ran before that was 4.5 miles in college, about 30 years ago.

In September, I completed my first ever Olympic Triathlon, which was my second ever following a Sprint in July. Using the BT training plan, it made me think I could do this. I developled my own 1/2 marathon training plan, which was about 2X 6-7 miles sessions, and a 9-11 mile session per week. Included in that, was the Rockville 10k. Getting over 10 miles was a huge struggle for me, and I wasn't sure I could do this, but I wanted to do it for fun, and because my son was doing it too.

My plan was to run a 1030-1045 pace. Finding the chute was a little confusing. My plan was to take in a shot block every 15 minutes after the first 30, and then a Gu at about 90 minutes. Took water and briefly walked every stop, about 2 miles. Took gatorade at miles 9 and 11. I think the nutrition and gatorade made it possible for me to run the whole distance without stopping. That and a pretty slow pace.

Race support was excellent. Super volunteers and the crowds in South Philly, Frat Row, and the finish were awesome.

That hill at mile 9 was surprising. Kind of long, and I think it took it's toll on a few folks. I motored on, I think in part to my training on the Leland route near my home. Mile 10 I felt good, and picked up the pace from there on out. Started passing a lot of folks that passed me, ever as far back as mile 3. Kicked in the last 1/2 mile.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Ran the perfect race for my weight and experience.

Probably held back a little too much, but finishing was more important than time, but I think I could have brought it in 4-5 minutes sooner and been ok.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to the hotel, stretched, stretched, and showered. and stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight and beer. Since July, I've been not so diligent in my nutrition, logging, and discipline. Time to get back to basics.

Event comments:

Now it's time for winter maintenance, more weight loss, and then on to Columbia in May.

Last updated: 2009-08-14 12:00 AM
Running
02:23:10 | 13.1 miles | 10m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/258
Overall: 0/7189
Performance: Good
Course: Fairly flat, Philly roads.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-11-23 7:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Subject: Philadelphia 1/2 Marathon

2009-11-23 8:32 PM
in reply to: #2528154

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Philadelphia 1/2 Marathon
Great job!
2009-11-24 9:08 AM
in reply to: #2528154

New user
Collegeville
Subject: RE: Philadelphia 1/2 Marathon

2 minute run in March to a Sprint, Olympic and Half Mary by November - Get this man a beer!!!!!!!  WOW Great job!!!!
Ed

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Philadelphia 1/2 Marathon Rss Feed