General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-11-24 3:49 PM

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Subject: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance : Official Thread
Who else is in?!?!? This will be my first attempt at this race, and 2nd at this distance. Im doing Timberman @ the end of August as well.

2009-11-26 6:55 PM
in reply to: #2529972

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance : Official Thread

I'm probably in. I did the half in '05, the aquabike in '06, and the international in '07. Prior to those, however, I did Granite Ledges all three years ('02, '03, '04) of its existence, and it is my all-time favorite race.

Granite Ledges was in late September all three years, and its course was exactly the same as that of Mooseman international. (Well, there has now been some subtle re-routing of the finish and how/where the run begins.) The only diffs are seasonal -- meaning that G.L. mornings were dark, but also blessedly bug-free. Also, the water for G.L. was still fairly warm......which isn't always the case with Mooseman.

Moosey is a GREAT race, albeit a tough one. There is a wicked climb at the north end of the lake, which is mildly a bother the first loop at about mile 5, but becomes one difficult bugger second time around, at mile 33 or so. Mercy! fortunately, though, there is the devil prancing and cavorting there to urge you on, so have no fear! Overall, I find the Moose 70.3 bike harder than the Timber 70.3 bike.

The run, though, is gorgeous --- and with the exception of a hill that you hit on both out-and-backs (so, four ascents of it, 2X front and back), it is not too demanding. Oh, and there is also a deceptive climb up from Beechwood back onto West Shore Road, and you have to navigate that baby twice. But, really -- it's not a bad run course at all. Just make sure you don't leave most of everything out on the bike course!!

Good prep for Timberman! I say that if you can make it through Moosey with a smile on your face, you'll be sitting pretty come TimberTime!

2009-11-26 7:45 PM

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Thanks for the course description, especially on the run. I have some history with the roads around Lake Newfound. I actually learned how to ride a road bike around that lake and once subsequently bonked for the first time ever around that lake....so I have some revenge to do. Also, the hill @ mile 5 and 33, yeah, I was forced to sit my butt down while climbing that for "practice" by my high school coach. Never did I want to stand up so bad!

Ill be up there a few times this spring riding the course and doing intervals up that hill....isn't there a name for it other than "the wall"? I like going down it better
2009-11-26 9:26 PM
in reply to: #2532708

User image

Champion

Well, Keith Jordan (RD) calls it Devil's Hill, due to his hired psyche-figure there.

I rode the course in May with a friend who was planning on doing the half, and also doing the course that day were competitive cyclists from area private schools, racing there as part of a big cycling meet. They passed us in several packs along West Shore, and it wasn't until we got to Devil's Hill we realized that each race FINISHED at the top of the hill ----which meant that the last few hundred meters of each divisonal race was "sprinting" up that hill. Yikes!! Well, I guess you build tough teenage cyclists that way!

2009-11-26 9:42 PM
in reply to: #2532790

User image

Master
White Plains NY
stevebradley - 2009-11-26 10:26 PM also doing the course that day were competitive cyclists from area private schools, racing there as part of a big cycling meet.

that was me about 10 years ago!

this reminds me of another hill we would come down before we went around the lake. Check it out here:

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/nh/hebron/205125929325839597

you can include it as part of the loop as an out and back for 12.5 miles. Has 900 feet of upwards elevation. one of my teammates was pushing 60 on the way down!
2009-11-28 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2532708

User image

Champion

wstchstr -

Wait. Does that mean that your revenge motive stems from racing there while in secondary school? That would be a very small conincidence, as I never really figured that anybody here would've cut their teeth riding competitively around Newfound!

However, when I saw that race in May I got to thinking that going to a place such as Exeter, say, which has a full-scale pool and a serious swim team (I think), would be ideal for a blossoming triathlete. There'd be cross-country in the fall, swimming in the winter, cycling in the spring. Perfect!!

2009-11-29 7:08 AM
in reply to: #2532804

Regular
that climb thru hebron is awesome. I've ridden it several times, and have contemplated using it to create a 1 loop bike. i just thought it was too difficult. thoughts?
2009-11-29 1:20 PM

User image

Doing this race too.  It will be my first 70.3.  Thanks Steve for the info on the course!!  I guess I'll be adding lots of hills in my training...
2009-11-29 8:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison, New Jersey
I will be up there too! I did the Olympic last year and it was well run. The only thing that I didn't like about the run course were the areas of the course that we were running on the sand. It's an easy way to roll an ankle and end your day.
2009-11-30 7:42 AM
in reply to: #2534312

User image

Champion

Edited by stevebradley 2009-11-30 7:43 AM
2009-12-17 4:46 PM
in reply to: #2534587

User image

Champion

RtisticFX -

Yikes! It's been a while!

The Mooseman hills take all forms. The one with the prancing devil to urge you on, at the north end of Newfound, is probably the "signature" hill of the course, but it doesn't represent the general tone of the course. So, to add to what I wrote a few weeks ago....

(Got a course map handy?)

Between where Bristol is (junction of 104 and 3A) and the turn onto Cass Mill Road, it is mostly a long, gradual climb. There is nothing demanding about this --- unless the wind is howling down 104, that is! (But on my times on the course, that has happened only once. )

Cass Mill Road has several short fast descents followed by short, demanding climbs, so if you can find a place to ride where you can pull out all the stops on the downhill and then capitalize on your momentum as you tackle the uphill, that will serve you well for the Cass Mill stretch of the Moosey course.

Just before you hit 3A, not long after you've recovered from Devil's Hill, there is a deceptively difficult climb. This doesn't look like much, either in a car or as you approach it on your bike, but it is a tough little grind. Adding to it is the fact that the turn onto 3A climbs a bit of a "lip", and then for about 100 yards 3A itself continues the climb. So, finding a long-but-not-wickedly-steep hill would help you as well. And, a place where a climb involves a right-hand 90-degree trun, and then continues the climb.

And come to think of it, the turn from 104 onto Cass Mill also involves a brutish - but short - climb before the aformentioned up-and-downs begin.

In the spirit of What Goes Up Must Come Down, there is a glorious downhill along the east side of the lake, starting about 101 yards after your turn onto 3A. WHEEEEEEE! In fact, most (if not all?) of 3A leading right into the turn onto Whittemore Pt. Road is either downhill or flat.

Shortly after the turn onto Whittemore there is another grind of a hill, again gradual, but taxing. So after the 90-degree turn onto Whittemore, which requires braking coming off the speed stretches just before it, it is good to kick in and build some momentum as you hit the gradual climb that comprises the west-trending part of Whittemore.

The tale end of Whittemore is a fast downhill, and the approach to Bristol is also a good spot to pick up some time that was maybe lost on the earlier hills.

And the turn back onto West Shore Road (which is preceded by a short, fast downhill, which is itself preceded by the last tough little climb of the course) begins about a mile of a fast, flat stretch which will feel SO fine on the second loop!

It is a wonderfully diverse and fun bike course! Honest! You'll love to love it!

2010-01-27 8:48 PM

User image

Steve

Yikes here as well, it has been awhile since I tuned in.  Thanks for the info and I will be taking it all with me and studying the maps.  We are renting a house up there for the week prior, so I'll be able know the course intimately!

Thanks again!
2010-01-28 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Hi all,
I'm doing Mooseman this year as well for the first time and I'm really looking forward to it.  I've spoken to a few people that have done it before and I've heard the water is typically really cold.  A friend of mine said she had a really hard time in T1 because her hands were numb.  Should I be worried?  I was planning to buy some swim booties and gloves to get some open water swims in before the event, but I heard gloves are illegal during the race.  Anyone else have these issues?  Any advice on preventing it besides swimming really fast? Smile  
2010-01-28 4:30 PM

User image

Essex VT
Nobody's hands and feet get colder than mine and last year on the swim I was fine, cold but fine. Though I saw many athletes in the water warming up, I did not do any warm up strokes. I had my DeSoto T1 wetsuit on and yes my face, feet and hands were chilly but after 10 minutes of swimming I warmed up nicely (ok except for my feet). Get a little wet before the start, stay calm, swim relaxed and control your breathing...everything else falls into place. Besides, the swim is over before you know it.
Can't wait!
2010-02-01 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2640323

User image

hockeyhands - 2010-01-28 1:48 PM Hi all,
I'm doing Mooseman this year as well for the first time and I'm really looking forward to it.  I've spoken to a few people that have done it before and I've heard the water is typically really cold.  A friend of mine said she had a really hard time in T1 because her hands were numb.  Should I be worried?  I was planning to buy some swim booties and gloves to get some open water swims in before the event, but I heard gloves are illegal during the race.  Anyone else have these issues?  Any advice on preventing it besides swimming really fast? Smile  

I plan on doing open water swimming with CIBBOWS starting in April.  I'm hoping that will help make race day feel balmy!  (that and maybe a neoprene swim cap and some swim socks!)
2010-02-16 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2640323

User image

I don't want to sound over the top, but it is COLD! Granted I am a complete wimp when it comes to chilly h20, but Newfound Lake is crazy. It is by far the clearest/cleanest lake I have ever swam in, so worth the frigid temp.

I think I have raced Mooseman 5 times and I am one of the people who "warms up". Only reason I do, is so I can try and adjust my breathing. The first time I put my face in, it always takes my breath away. I do this a couple of times so when the race starts I am somewhat adjusted.

My core usually warms up after a few hundred meters, but my hands and feet stay numb for the duration. I think it was right around mile 4 or 5 on the bike when I started to realize I actually had feet.

2010-02-16 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2675244

User image

Veteran
Madison, New Jersey
pauljra - 2010-02-16 10:54 AM I don't want to sound over the top, but it is COLD! Granted I am a complete wimp when it comes to chilly h20, but Newfound Lake is crazy. It is by far the clearest/cleanest lake I have ever swam in, so worth the frigid temp. I think I have raced Mooseman 5 times and I am one of the people who "warms up". Only reason I do, is so I can try and adjust my breathing. The first time I put my face in, it always takes my breath away. I do this a couple of times so when the race starts I am somewhat adjusted. My core usually warms up after a few hundred meters, but my hands and feet stay numb for the duration. I think it was right around mile 4 or 5 on the bike when I started to realize I actually had feet.

I was the same way! It took awhile for my feet to warm up. I remember I was sweating on the bike but my feet were still frozen. Hopefully, the water will be a little warmer this year. Now that it's part of IM maybe they will install warmers in the lake. lol
2010-04-02 6:34 PM

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Mooseman bike course is now 1 loop.

http://timbermantri.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2682

Its gonna take you up a nice 3.5 mile climb. Fun!
2010-04-25 8:13 AM
in reply to: #2765837

User image

wstchstrTriathlete - 2010-04-02 6:34 PM

Mooseman bike course is now 1 loop.

http://timbermantri.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2682

Its gonna take you up a nice 3.5 mile climb. Fun!

Hey Everyone, Just an update on the new course....

The course is back to two loops, but different from the past. I rode it yesterday and I do think it is quite a bit harder than the old coures. If you have not done Placid, this will give you a taste.

That being said, I like this course a lot more. After a tough climb, there is a really nice descent along a brook. The descent is followed by a great stretch where you can hammer in the aeros. You end up doing this portion twice. After that you loop the rest of the lake and head back to transition. You don't go through the "downtown" at all, which is a huge plus. Roads are little bumpy, but to be expected...

I rode a compact 50/34 crank and an 11/23 cassette. Definitely didn't need more top end gears, but did use the 23 in the rear A LOT on the climbs. (155lbs rider)

Hope this helps....
2010-04-28 5:27 AM

User image

Champion
MA
I spoke to Keith the RD at Lonestar this weekend and said the one loop course has been changed a little do the road conditions. I'm not sure if the new 1 loop course is up on the website.

Being cold out of the swim is real. I've done either Oly or HIM as relay since '05. Often they have a warming tent at swim exit. Some folks can't continue the race after the swim because of being cold and they are literally shaking. It seems more often women who had issues and those with lower body fat and took longer swimming the water effected them the most.

80% of the heat loss you have swimming is through your head. I have neoprene cap I wear up there and put my swim cap over. I also have booties I wear. I bought both from Promotion wetsuits before my first Mooseman race.
2010-04-28 8:51 AM
in reply to: #2821695

User image

Master
White Plains NY
KathyG - 2010-04-28 6:27 AM I spoke to Keith the RD at Lonestar this weekend and said the one loop course has been changed a little do the road conditions. I'm not sure if the new 1 loop course is up on the website.

Being cold out of the swim is real. I've done either Oly or HIM as relay since '05. Often they have a warming tent at swim exit. Some folks can't continue the race after the swim because of being cold and they are literally shaking. It seems more often women who had issues and those with lower body fat and took longer swimming the water effected them the most.

80% of the heat loss you have swimming is through your head. I have neoprene cap I wear up there and put my swim cap over. I also have booties I wear. I bought both from Promotion wetsuits before my first Mooseman race.

it is now two loops within one large loop. check out the course here:
http://www.ironmanmooseman.com/bike-run.html

thanks for the tips on the swim. I am about to purchase a neoprene cap....

2010-04-28 5:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison, New Jersey
I just bought a neoprene cap this weekend. I am hoping it makes a difference this year.
2010-05-05 8:50 PM

Subject: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance : Official Thread
Does anyone have the elevation to the new bike course? 

First HIM, so I could use all the help I can get....

Thanks,
Coco
Traverse City, Michigan
2010-05-06 4:43 AM
in reply to: #2840137

User image

Master
White Plains NY
cocomj - 2010-05-05 9:50 PM Does anyone have the elevation to the new bike course? 

First HIM, so I could use all the help I can get....

Thanks,
Coco
Traverse City, Michigan

(moosemanHardest.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
moosemanHardest.jpg (35KB - 43 downloads)
2010-05-09 10:05 AM

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Get ready for a steep climb! The big climb starts out as a stair step climb until it pitches up for the final bit, saving the best for last. I was tacking across the road to get up that last pitch! The course is.....HARD!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2