City Of Perth
20C / 68F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 53m 27s
Overall Rank = 987/2200
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up early, cereal and a banana, then drove into the city. Parked the car, then rode to the start.
The 53km start was 7:30 which wasn't as bad as the 6:00 start for the 106km group!
Event warmup:

Watching the 106km leaders head out onto their 2nd loop
Bike
  • 1h 53m 27s
  • 53 kms
  • 28.03 km/hr
Comments:

First time in over 25 that I've ridden this far, my maximum distance recently has been a 40km commute, so I was a bit hesitant about the distance. Set off in perfect conditions, nice and sunny, not much wind, and took it really easy for the first 10km.
Was a nasty climb about 15km in that although not that long, pushed me to my limit - I really really need to work on my leg strength!!!
Then all of a sudden we were heading over the river at Freo and turning round to come back. A bit of a headwind picked up on the way back and the roads were a bit of a mix of back roads until we hit the freeway and then it was plain sailing.
Loved every minute of it, first time I've ridden in big groups before and didn't find it scary at all, apart from one close call when I got squeezed from both sides at a left-turn.
Downed one gel before the start, then had another at halfway, and drank 1 bottle of water and 1 bottle of Endura. Perfect nutrtion for me.
Only real issue was after 35km, my saddle got rather uncomfortable. Not sure if it's the saddle itself or just the fact that I'm not that used to riding 35km+. More HTFU I reckon :)
Even had plenty of strength left to really push the last 5km which really surprised me! 38km/h for the final 2km, hurrah for me!
Oh, the volunteers were awesome, cheering everybody as they went past, really gave a great atmosphere to the ride.
Even had plently of
What would you do differently?:

Wish I'd realised that I could do the distance - nutrition certainly helped here - and pushed it harder to start with.

Post race
Warm down:

Found a friend, had a chat, then drove home for a nice bath. No stiff legs so another sign that I coped well, and should have pushed more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Confidence in the distance and my legs.

Event comments:

Would love to have the legs next year to do the 106.......... or maybe a far quicker 53 !

Last updated: 2009-11-22 12:00 AM
Biking
01:53:27 | 53 kms | 28.03 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/2200
Performance: Good
Offical timing had me at 1:54:33 in 1025th, but my timing chip didn't go off until the final mat when I was walking!
Wind:
Course: Round the river from Perth to Fremantle and back, in a 53km loop.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-11-24 8:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: Great Bike Ride

2009-12-10 4:46 AM
in reply to: #2530317

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Subject: RE: Great Bike Ride
nice pic Nigel! Glad you had a good day and that you did such a great time, we couldn't have asked for nicer conditions - my goal for next year is to get it under 2hrs. See you next year?
2009-12-10 7:01 AM
in reply to: #2551822

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Nice photo Daisy )))

Hopefully see you next year - might be heading east sometime next year though
If I'm here, will defo do it again!  Maybe the 106km if I'm fitter!
2009-12-10 7:49 AM
in reply to: #2530317

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
mmm, I have the 106 in my sights too, have recently started communting to Freo and I'm getting faster all the time and loving the cycling more and more. Where are you (maybe) heading too. I probably have a shift to Melbourne in my future.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Bike Ride Rss Feed