General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommended Pet Sitters or Dog Boarding Places Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-25 10:37 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Subject: Recommended Pet Sitters or Dog Boarding Places

Just curious for those of you who have pets- does anyone know of a good pet sitter or a place to board dogs around here?  I have 2 dogs- and one (my lab) does not do well in daycare type environments- she was actually kicked out the last place I sent her to so those places aren't an option for me.   Ideally I'd like to find a place where they will receive plenty of attention- my lab is VERY needy and needs a lot of attention.  She gets stressed out very easily when boarded in kennel type places so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

We used to board our dogs with a retired lady who had a business in her backyard- she had a lot of land and loved dogs.  She kept her clientle small so she could make sure to give them plenty of attention, which worked really good for my lab.  She spent a lot of time with them and knew how to handle the dogs- think of the female version on Ceasar.  It was a small business and she knew my dogs really well and we were really comfortable leaving our dogs with her and knew they were in great care.

I'm hoping to find someone like that in this area- any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  With picking out next year's races that require traveling, I need to start looking into boarding or pet sitting options.  Pet sitting would be ideal, but I'm a little nervous turning over the key to someone I don't know.

2009-11-25 10:48 AM
in reply to: #2531102

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Recommended Pet Sitters or Dog Boarding Places
PM sent.

Oh good luck down in Cozumel
2009-11-25 10:55 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh
I live over by Carmax and use Leesville Animal hospital/boarding. (close to your area) I board my uber-hyper 100lb boxer and he does quite well...He gets so excited to go too which is odd, as its his vet too who pokes n prods him..lol

odd- jennifer's lab is a scaredy-cat/ stress knot too...your lab should meet sometime...

Edited by halfpint 2009-11-25 10:58 AM
2009-11-25 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2531146

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
halfpint - 2009-11-25 11:55 AM I live over by Carmax and use Leesville Animal hospital/boarding. (close to your area) I board my uber-hyper 100lb boxer and he does quite well...He gets so excited to go too which is odd, as its his vet too who pokes n prods him..lol

odd- jennifer's lab is a scaredy-cat/ stress knot too...your lab should meet sometime...

Not only did my lab get kicked out of doggie daycare, but she is also scared of thunderstorms.  So if we board her at a kennel and it storms, she will hurt herself and scratch her nose by tyring to get out of the kennel.  She doesn't like to swim (weird- labs are supposed ot love water right?)and doesn't ride well in cars.  She is actually very high maintenace and I think because I didn't raise her as a puppy and took her in with she was 3.5 years old that she exhibits some weird behavioral issues- her previous owner never spent time with her and she was strictly an outside dog.  I think that's why she's so needy- she's making up for lost time   I'd like to say that as owners we're doing something wrong, but my other dog- he was a stray I took in around 8-9 months is as normal as can be. 
2009-11-25 1:10 PM
in reply to: #2531186

User image

Master
Raleigh
yup...same with this lab. She's antisocial to other "strange" dogs (at the dog park she nips at em but loves people!), she was terrified of storms/ fireworks and would shake profusely (we gave her pills for that and she's improved 100% and if now off the pills), she loves car rides tho...

anywho... I'd offer to walk n water the pup but i'm typically not avail due to work and my own dog constraints, but I know theres a vet up near brier creek where jennifer takes bella...http://www.ah-bc.com/ i'm not sure they board or not tho...

2009-12-03 2:36 PM
in reply to: #2531457

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Too late for your original request but..

We use Fetch pet sitters --http://www.fetchpetcare.com/.  We have an older dog who is on several medications so we do the private boarding with them.  The cost is the same as using the kennel (by the time we included the playtime, etc.) and we can pick them up whenever.

We used Green Level kennel (near Jenks and Ivey) and our dogs did well there.  They just do better in a private home.

2009-12-14 2:49 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Thanks for all the suggestions.  We will need a pet sitter one day next week so I called fetch pet care.  Hopefully the dogs will like it better since they don't have to leave the house  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommended Pet Sitters or Dog Boarding Places Rss Feed