General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Program - Periodization? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-03 9:33 PM

Subject: Training Program - Periodization?
Are the training programs provided through this web site considered to be under the general periodization guidelines? They do not appear to follow the guidelines from what little I know about periodization. I have 22 weeks until my first triathlon and I would like to utilize the principles in my training schedule as soon as possible.

If the programs provided on this site (increase 10% each week with a "draw back week of -25% each month) do not utilize periodization can anyone direct me to a web site or book that does a good job explaining the concept to a newbie?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

2005-06-03 9:44 PM
in reply to: #168386

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Training Program - Periodization?

only the 1/2 and full beginner IM splans are periodized (free)...the ones i made that are only minutes based (sprints and olys) are not...the gold level plans are periodized though kind of like the 1/2 and full IM's...you will find a few beginner sprints and olys as part of the gold plans...

periodized is essentially cycling volume and speed...my programs only cycle volume...as i beleive for the beginner with little-to-no endurance experience should not be doing speedwork...that would safely appear on the scene in ones second year...

of course if you come from and endurace background then by all means, periodization is a great way to bring in speedwork and peak for your race...

joe friels 'training bible' is a book just for that purpose...its based on lactate threshold to train you through various HR zones...its techinical...but great for this subject if your ready...

2005-06-03 9:52 PM
in reply to: #168391

Subject: RE: Training Program - Periodization?
Ron - Thanks for the fast reply and advice. I do not want to get ahead of myself with the training programs - I just have a hard time settling on one program. I'll stick with the beginner program and look into periodization as I become more adept at the sport.

Thanks again.

Darren
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Program - Periodization? Rss Feed