Beatrice YMCA
coldF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 39m 4s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 4/
Pre-race routine:

Ate at Playa Azul the night before. That morning I ate my normal breakfast, but with Orange Juice. I drank Gatorade and at the event I drank Iced Tea.
Event warmup:

Walked .5 miles to the Turkey Trot before my wife picked me up. I then stretched with the family and Jeremy.
Run
  • 39m 4s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

At first, it seemed I began at a good pace. But a 1/2 mile in it felt like I was pushing a little to hard. I was running with a group of people (including Jeremy). I backed off a bit, but still couldn't get comfortable (thats alright, I'm in a race).

By the turnaround, I could see Jeremy slowly getting ahead of me. I grabbed a water, drank it, took off my hat and gloves, and tried to cool down a bit. After I cooled down about .3 miles later I changed my music to Rammstein and began pushing the pace a bit.

Somewhere around the Swim park, I was almost on Jeremy's heals. He realized this and pushed the pace harder. He began pulling away from me at the cemetery and I had no more to give.

I heard later the course was actually 5.2 miles (someone was wearing a Garmin). This would put my unoffical pace at 7:31 minute miles. This really pleased me. I love running in the cold.
What would you do differently?:

Have a gel before the race and possibly one during. Other than that, nothing. I feel it was one of the best I've done.
Post race
Warm down:

Breathed. Water. Gave a five to Jeremy. Collected my thoughts and chit chatted with Jeremy, Dina, Spencer, Sean, and a couple of others.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Event comments:

Really happy to hear that both Ian and Makalah ran well. Was extremely happy to see that Dina won second in her age group for the mile (even though there were only two). I always enjoy the Turkey Trot. It was my first race 3 years ago and it has a special place with me.

Last updated: 2009-11-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:39:04 | 05 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back course. I heard it was actually 5.2 miles.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes