65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 44m 3s
Overall Rank = 197/353
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 18/24
Pre-race routine:

Times are now official

This may not have been the smartest race. I hadn't trained for over 3 weeks because I was sick and then got way too busy. That didn't help the nerves.

Late the night before, I packed and checked out the bike. Good thing I did because my rear brake was rubbing against my tire. Fixed that.

Woke up 40 minutes early (4:10 instead of 4:50) because of a dream. Ended up staying up and watching some TV to relax. Had 2 pieces of toast w/ peanut butter, and a banana. Loaded everything up on/in the car, and headed to the race at 5:15.

On the way, my favorite pre-race event happens...watching all of the "tri-cars" congregate as I get closer to the event. First it starts as one other car with a bike, then two, and as I exited the freeway, there were 6 of us.
Event warmup:

Checked in, set up the transition area, made a new friend, Katie (a newbie) as we waited for our wave. Got in and went!
Swim
  • 10m 21s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

Still pretty cold, but that wasn't as much of an issue. Took me a while to get my head under the water, but mostly that was because of the swim traffic. The tri was full of first-timers that couldn't sight at all, and ended up crossing in front of me unexpectedly and swimming into me. After the first 100 or so, I found an outer trajectory to take. Amazingly, I kept with freestyle the entire time for the first race ever!

They did a weird thing and didn't have all of the men's waves go before the women's. After my wave they let some of the men go and, of course, they caught up to us in the last 75 or so. That always sucks.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I know I could have gone so much faster w/ a wetsuit, but I was pretty happy overall.
Transition 1
  • 05m 25s
Comments:

T1 was pretty slow because I decided to wear my running tights and a long-sleeved shirt because I knew the air temperature (50 F) wouldn't really allow my hair to dry and would make me cold, and in my last 2 races in similar weather, my legs and arms were totally frigid during the bike. It was a great decision and worth the extra time.

Not almost fall over when rinsing my feet off! :-)
Bike
  • 53m 19s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 16.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I was nervous for this event the most because I haven't been on my bike much at all.

At first I felt that I was pushing the bike too hard, but I began to pay attention to my cadence and I felt really good. I pushed the downhills as fast as I could, which is a huge improvement as I have usually been timid to speed down them. I was on my drops probably 60% of the time (my back muscles would argue it was more like 90%). My hands didn't hurt at all, just my neck muscles.

Hills were pretty good, although my lungs and heart were moving pretty fast trying to pump up the hill. But a great race overall.

1/2 way through the bike, I found my new friend Katie on the side of the road after a crash. I called out and made sure she was ok and she said help was on the way. Man I felt bad...her first tri and everything...

One weird thing that happened is that in the last 1/2 mile or so, I stood up on my toes to try and stretch my calves and ankles out for the run. I don't have clipless...which would have helped. My toes were frozen still and I slipped off the pedals, crashing down on my seat. Did I ever see stars! That's the most pain I'd felt in a long time. It dwarfed any other pain in the rest of the race.

I need clipless.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

The path to T2 was really grassy/marshy and had a lot of potholes. My bike got stuck in one and over it tipped! The rest of T2 went well.

Keep a better grip on the handle bars while running.
Run
  • 33m 57s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 09m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

My weird ankle tendon tenseness returned, but I kept trying to stretch them out the whole time. Got a decent side stitch 1/2 way through from the uneven surface, but that went away in just a couple of minutes. The run hurt a little, but I was happy to be under 10 min pace, considering the lack of training and feeling that I may have pushed the bike too far.

Saw Michele "zagagirl", as she was volunteering on the run course. She had a big sign for us 4 BTers that were there. That was cool!

Train
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line with a "thumbs-up" for the photographer, saw that I was under 10 min pace and 1:45 total, so I was happy! That turned to a bit of sadness because noone was there at my race today to cheer me on. So I ran over to my bag and called my boyfriend to tell him how it went (he was out of town). That helped, but it was hard being there alone. I got a taste of what a lot of triathletes go through, and it sucks.

But, then I found Michele again and chatted with her a bit. It was nice to see a familiar face.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, obviously.

Event comments:

Everything was ok except the post-race food. They only offered brats, which, sadly, I hate. Otherwise their 5th Annual event went well!

Last updated: 2005-04-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:21 | 440 yards | 02m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 166/353
Performance: Good
Suit: Just my tri-suit
Course: U-shaped, clockwise swim. Beach start/finish with pretty big pebbles that hurt my feet like crazy! Time included some run to T1
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:53:19 | 14.5 miles | 16.32 mile/hr
Overall: 105/353
Wind: None
Course: Rolling hills with one real "hill" at the 4 & 9 mile mark. Out and back on road with big shoulder and little traffic. Newly paved roads that were smooth as glass.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:57 | 03.5 miles | 09m 42s  min/mile
Overall: 117/353
Course: Marshy trails on muddy grass. Loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-04 4:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: Issaquah Triathlon

2005-06-04 4:27 PM
in reply to: #168601

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Issaquah Triathlon
Nice race! Good job despite the problems with your training (or lack of it). Way to go!!!
2005-06-04 7:53 PM

Elite Veteran
The bike? OUCH! Good job for not crashing yourself. You ran a pretty darned great race without a lot of training for it. You're going to be pretty scary come August.

Congrats.
2005-06-04 8:49 PM

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
Good job Jasmine!  You are a brave woman to go in that water without a wetsuit.  brrr!
2005-06-05 10:15 AM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

Way to go Jazzy!!!  You are one brave woman to race after being sick like that!  Congratulations!

2005-06-06 3:24 PM

User image

Jasmine, it was great to see you and congratulations on doing so well in spite of work and illness cutting into training.  (I'll keep that for inspiration on June 19th, my first of the season). 

Hopefully, I'll see you at another tri this summer. 

Edited by zagagirl 2005-06-06 3:25 PM

2005-06-06 3:28 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Way to go Jazzy!!! You did an awesome job after having a rough spring. You go girl!

-Frank
2005-06-07 9:48 AM

Champion
Good race Jazzy...half the battle is fighting your way through all the little things that seem to happen and not let any of them get you down. Seems you did a good job with that!
2005-06-07 5:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the kind words, all! Hopefully I'll be able to be more dedicated next time around and will post something I can be proud of!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Issaquah Triathlon Rss Feed