Ironman North America
63F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 00m 38s
Overall Rank = 1394/
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30 am. Quick shower to wake up. Eat one Oatmeal cookie bar and get the family ready to head out for the race. Meet Brother-in-law at 5:00 am. Drive down to race site to get last minute things done.
Event warmup:

Since we could not get in the water for a warm up swim. I just hung out with the family and than headed over to the bathroom line. After waiting for 25 minutes, I was out of the bathroom and started to get my wetsuit on. Headed over the swim start.
Swim
  • 1h 07m 58s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Get swim once I was able to find a group of swimmers that I could swim with.
What would you do differently?:

I stated on the front line of the swim. Since this was my first Ironman, I was not sure where to start. This was a big mistake. I got ran over by swimmers that were a lot faster than me. The next Ironman, I will start a few rows back with simmers that I can swim with.
Transition 1
  • 09m 22s
Comments:

Coming out of the water, I felt great. The first part of my day was over. The water was cold and once I got into T1, it took a few minutes to get my feelings back into my hands and feet. The volunteers were great in T1. I felt like I had a person doing everything for me. I didn’t have to put any of my swim stuff away, they just took care of everything.

I don't think I would really do anything different, just a little faster.
Bike
  • 6h 01m 31s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.59 mile/hr
Comments:

I liked the fact that the bike leg was three loops. This way my family and friends were able to see me more during the day. The bad thing about three loops was fighting the wind on the Bee-line hwy. The first loop was not too bad. I started the ride out on an easy pace not knowing what to expect for the day. (Since this was my first Ironman) The second loop was harder because of the wind picking up speed. By the third loop, I was ready to get off the bike.

I have a hard time riding on a 2 – 4% grade. I would have to say for the next time I race here, I will need more time on low incline hills.
Transition 2
  • 06m 44s
Comments:

With all of the volunteers working with us, there wasn’t much that was handled. From getting water for me and putting all of my bike gear back in the bag. Ironman races have got the transitions down.

I don’t think I would do anything different, I now know what to expect and I would just be faster.
Run
  • 5h 35m 4s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

On to the hard part of my race. The last three 70.3 races, I have had to walk most of the runs. Also being that I have never ran 26.2 miles in my life, this was going to be fun seeing what my body (legs) where going to do. Knowing that I have had problems on the run, I just started running with a smile. The crowds were get and being able to see my family twice on each loop helped. The first loop was ok, I made the first half of the loop I felt ok and I was just happy that my legs were doing ok. The second loop, I was starting to hurt. With the start of the third loop, I know that I could get to the finish line.

Just keep running more in training!!
Post race
Warm down:

A piece of pizza and some frys.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not knowing if my body could go the distance.

Event comments:

What a fun event for me. I wanted to brake 13 hours. I came in at 13:00:38.

Last updated: 2009-05-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:07:58 | 4224 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 288/
Overall: 488/
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: Out and back one loop heading into the rising sun.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:22
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:01:31 | 112 miles | 18.59 mile/hr
Age Group: 254/
Overall: 1185/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 3 loops on a flat first part of the course. Once out on the Bee line hwy, there was a small 2 to 4% grade.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:35:04 | 26.2 miles | 12m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 338/
Overall: 1765/
Performance: Good
Course: Three loop run. Mostly flat with one good hill on the back side of the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes