Try-Us Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 21m 7s
Overall Rank = 43/480
Age Group = 19-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Slept at Becca's folks' house the night before, since the race is only a mile from there. Got there around 7:50, checked in, etc.
Event warmup:

Drank some water, ran an easy warmup mile.
Run
  • 21m 7s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Started towards the front and still got caught behind some slower folks at the beginning. Ran the first mile around 6:35, hoping to hold that pace throughout. The course is flat except for one very short hill just after the first mile- not too bad on the way out, but killed on the way back. Gradually fell off pace- breathing was hard the entire time and the legs just didn't seem to want to cooperate. Missed the 2nd and 3rd mile signs (if there were any), so no splits.
What would you do differently?:

Do some easy drills before the race starts, drink some gatorade, basically everything I did before the Power by Numbers 10k.
Post race
Warm down:

Water and half a banana, waited for Becca's brother to finish and cheered him in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of mileage lately, poor warmup.

Event comments:

Should have learned after last year- this race is poorly organized. It started late. The PA system was lousy- when the gun went off, plenty of people were completely unaware that it was starting. There was one drink station, which is alright for a 5k, except that it was understaffed and overwhelmed by the number of passing runners. They ran out of water at the finish line a few minutes after I finished. They ran out of oranges and bananas shortly thereafter.

I will be looking for another turkey trot for next year- if this one weren't so close to Becca's folks' house, I wouldn't be running it.

Last updated: 2009-11-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:07 | 03.11 miles | 06m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/480
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back course along Lake Balboa bike path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No