Macon Track Team
37F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 23m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Went to Starbucks with my training buddies for some oatmeal. Noticed a lot of runners there in our bright colors. It is deer hunting season and none of us wanted to be mistaken. At the race site it was cold enough that once you checked in, most folks hung out in their heated cars until the last moment. The RD said "go" and off we went. Of course, I was still putting on my race number when that happened but caught up quickly.
Event warmup:

There really wasn't any warm up. In fact, I was shaking with the cold before the RD said "go".
Run
  • 4h 49m 19s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first marathon but my second attmempt at one. I trained all winter last year for a March marathon only to get injured just before the race. My injury took me several months before I was able to run at all again. Being able to finish this one was even more valueable to me. The longest I had ever run was 20 miles and because I was watching how much my feet had deal with, I decided to take it easy on uneven ground. This course was a little more challenging than I expected but within my range. It was really the perfect day weather wise and a great set up for newbies. I felt good on the first three loops. The hills and uneven ground were getting to me by the fourth loop. Now, the wheels never "fell off the bus" but they sure wobbled the last 4 miles. It was very difficult to continue running after you crossed the finish line. I am so glad I did. My training buddies came to cheer me on and were sure an inspiration as I struggled that last few miles. My whole body just wanted to stop so badly but I knew I wouldn't. I met my loose goal of doing it under 5 hours. Having never seen the course, it was hard to know what I would do. I was on pace for something a little faster but just coldn't hold it in the end. It did help that I didn't use my Ipod until after mile 20. I kept one ear plug out but it was a nice distraction at that point. I saw others wearing them and was a little surprised since I wasn't sure if it was ok to do. I never wear headphone while I am trail running so it was a little luxury. This was the best I was nutritionally thus far. That is a big victory in itself for me who always struggles to find the right nutritional balance.
What would you do differently?:

I am still learning how to train for a trail event. I followed a "concrete" plan and then was flexible with the time because the terrain. I think I might train by time rather than simply by distance next time. The farthest I had ever run was 20 miles at 3:40. This means I had to run nearly 70 minutes longer than my longest run. No wonder the wheels started wobbling. I also got laxed on my strength training toward the end of this training session. I know it would have helped if I had kept it up consistantly. I didn't realize until now that I forgot to take my last Hammer gel. It would have probably helped those last few miles. Maybe.
Post race
Warm down:

I hobbled around while catching my breath. I had developed a wheeze the last few miles. Weird, since I don't have asthma. It only lasted a bit. I thought I would have been more emotional but I was still really in the zone. It took me a few minutes to have it really sink in that I had done what I set out to do and get excited. My training buddies got me a coke and some chicken noodle soup which hit the spot. I took a picture with the wonderful RD, Kevin and my beloved Gingerbread cookie finishers award.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had a spot on my foot (possible stress fracture in the works) that I had be favoring the last few weeks. I noticed it on the climbs and it made my other leg work even harder than it already does. I think my inexperience and inconsistant strength training hurt me a little.

Event comments:

I would have given it a 5 if the course had been marked correctly. Trail race are a different breed. There is a lot of emotion support but none of the fancy ongoings you get in a concrete race. It suits me to just go out there and run without any of the fan fare. I ran miles without seeing anyone and that was fine with me. If you have ever considered a trail race, this is a great one to try. You can do everything from a one loop to an ultra marathon on this course and you can decide on that day what it is that you want to do.

Last updated: 2009-11-29 12:00 AM
Running
04:49:19 | 26.2 miles | 11m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: The course was a good mix of terrain. The course started out with lots of leaves, small rocks and some mud. It then entered my least favorite part of really knobby grass with little tiny stumps that I would later trip on. When you thought you couldn't take the uneveness anymore, the course broke open to forest roads that were dirt and easier to run on. The elevation gave you a bit of a run for your money on two hills (one really quite steep) before you hit the unmanned drinking station. The second half of the loop was much easier and had flatter soft surfaces, like pine straw to run on. The loop began and ended at the Pavillon with lots of tasty grub. Each loop was meant to be 5.25. It was short by nearly .5. This will cause me to run extra after the official race was over. My official race time was 4:23. Being my first marathon, I decided to run until my Garmin said 26.2. That is what I came to do afterall. Running 24 miles wasn't what I had planned. I almost forgot to mention that not a mile into the race, I heard gun shots rather close to us. That was a little unnerving but we all just kept running. Hours later I would hear one more farther away. You have to love a trail race!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-11-29 4:44 AM

User image

Subject: Bartram Forest Trail Marathon

2009-11-30 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2534271

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX
Subject: RE: Bartram Forest Trail Marathon

Congrats again!  You worked so hard.

Get a massage, then take a couple epsom salt baths this week to help with any soreness then take some time off and enjoy the craziness of the season!

You rock!!!!

K

2009-11-30 9:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Congrats. I ran the marathon as well. I didnt realize there were other BTers at the race! Small World!
2009-12-01 11:43 AM

User image

Veteran

Amazing job!!!  Congratulations!!! 

2009-12-01 7:49 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary