United States
Macon Track Team
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I got to the race about 2 hours before the race start. This is a small local race that is growing each year and my husband and I wanted to get there early to volunteer. He was heading up cooking at the main aid station and I was helping with registration before I was going to run.

Our hotel had the breakfast up earlier than usual, so I ended up eating a Belgian waffle instead of my typical oatmeal. It was good.
Event warmup:

No warm up at all. At 7:14am I had no plan for the day. At 7:15am, I met up with Tim, Deb 1 and Deb two and decided to run and support them. At 7:30am we started running. No real time for a warm up.
Run
  • 00m
  • 26.2 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I set out on this run to support a friend of mine (Tim) who was trying for a 50K PR attempt. I had no real mileage goals in mind. I just wanted to enjoy the run and help pace a friend. I figured my mileage would total out for the day at 13-16 miles. Instead I ran a marathon and set a new PR.

I started the race with 2 friends and a new one; Tim, Deb 1 and new friend Deb 2.

Lap 1-
This could technically say "Lap 0.50". The course had changed this year and about .10 of a mile into the race we took a wrong turn LOL. Shortly after our wrong turn we caught up with the real course and never realized our mistake until 35 minutes later when the lead runners started running toward us. However we stayed committed to our new course and ended up running our first lap backwards. Oops oh well. We later heard that several other early starters made the same or similar mistakes. Such is the fun in Trail running! We made out way back to the starting line and then turned around to start our next lap. We only cut the first lap short by 2.15 miles.

Laps 2, 3, 4-
Honestly Laps 2-4 really don't stick out in my mind individually they were just a lot of fun and full of support. We were running a 1/1 interval and just having a ball. We shared jokes, talked about different running book recommendations, shared running stories, etc. Slowly with each lap we would shed a layer of clothing and grab tasty grub at the aid stations. At the end of 4 laps, we had completed approx 18 miles.

Lap 5-
I knew if I started lap 5 that my little run of 13-16 miles would effectively become a marathon or 50K. The main determining factor would be if Tim's co-worker Kevin had shown up to pace Tim for the remaining 2.5 laps. Reaching the main aid station there was no Kevin, so I knew I needed to stay on the trail and support Tim and the Deb's. My legs were feeling fine and the body was doing well, so more running it was. At our aid station stop between Laps 4 & 5, we made the decision to run Lap 5 backwards. We were pretty sure that running the course backwards would result in more downhill running rather than our uphill "normal" laps. During laps 1-4 our little group of four stuck together pretty closely. However, on our backwards loop Tim and I took off a bit earlier from the aid station in order to gain some time. Our little group of 4 split into two groups of two.

Tim and I continued our journey onward and contemplated all of the options. Some times we ran in silence, sometimes we cursed at my watch when it told us to run, but mainly we enjoyed each others company and kept each other motivated when we could tell the other needed it.

Somewhere around mile 21, Tim decided he would "settle" for a marathon. We were both super thirsty and I think we just needed a mental break. It cracks me up to think that we were "settling" for a marathon instead of a 50K. There is a silver lining to everything. :)

Once Tim decided to run a marathon, he immediately asked me "What is your marathon PR?". Surprised by this question I told him and then he said back to me the magical words; "I smell a PR coming!" At that point I just brushed it off and we reached the main aid station.

Lap 6 (or is this lap 5.5?)-
Tim and I knew we had a short deficit to make up from our first half lap. After some hard math while running, we calculated that we needed to head out for approx 1.75 miles and turn around. We decided to take the backwards route again, so that our finish would be in the "official" direction. 1.75 miles took us to the unmanned aid station, we grabbed a quick glass of water and Tim mentioned to me that if we were going to beat my PR, then we would need to hit the trails asap. As odd as it was, this race went from supporting Tim and helping to pace his 50K PR attempt, to getting me a much unexpected Marathon PR. Life is funny some times.

We ran and ran and walked and still cursed at my watch when it said to run. But overall, we were super happy to see the finish line. With much yelling of encouragement from our significant others, we crossed the finish line somewhere near 6:32:00. (I think) I had officially earned my first Bartram gingerbread man.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. This day was a super huge surprise for me. I never in a million years thought I would accomplish Marathon #2 at Bartram. Sure training could yield me different results but this is definitely a race and a PR I won't forget.
Post race
Warm down:

I stretched a lot and ate the most fabulous grilled cheese. It was hot and right off the stove.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well lets see, maybe knowing I was going to run a marathon that day! That might have helped. LOL

Event comments:

This race is awesome. It has grown over 5 years from 30 runners to almost 100. The main highlights of this race are the well stocked aid station, no cut off time and laid back atmosphere. There are no finishers awards, no t-shirts, no big time race attractions. Just friendly faces and a great place to run.

The very large aid station which you pass at the start of each loop is well stocked. It has salted potatoes, hot soup, grilled cheese, PB&J, turkey sandwiches, cookies, brownies, bananas, fudge, advil, salt caps, water, gatorade, chips, nuts, candy, and fabulous volunteers to help you with anything you need.

The unmanned aid station out on the course has gatorade, water, bananas, fig newtons, rice krispy treats, cookies, cheese crackers, peanut butter crackers and assorted salted nuts.

I would recommend this race to any runner who is looking for a fun non-traditional race on thanksgiving weekend. You wont have to deal with traffic, busy cities or trouble with parking.

Last updated: 2009-11-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 26.2 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: This was a 5.25 mile loop course through the Bartram forest. Blue pin flags were out marking the course and runner should keep the flags to their right. Yeah I messed that one up! LOL The course is part access road and part single track (or track and a half) forest running. Tons of holes, roots, twigs and small snapped off tree roots to contend with. 3 loops for the 15.75 mile "Fun Run" 5 loops for the marathon 6 loops for the 50K
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-11-29 6:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Bartram Forest Trail Marathon

2009-12-01 7:52 PM
in reply to: #2534858

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Bartram Forest Trail Marathon
Ha, that is a great little adventure...running backwards. Good job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bartram Forest Trail Marathon Rss Feed