General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Augusta : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-09-28 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3121213

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta : Official Thread
jmgeller - 2010-09-28 9:25 AM

I was 30 years old and was getting fat. I had played sports my whole life, but work and life was getting in the way. I gained 40 pounds in 3 years and nothing was changing to keep that number from climbing. I had to start taking blood pressure medication from stress and weight gain. My dad had a stroke and reality started to set in. My life needed to change. I started doing triathlons less than 1 year ago. Hadn't ridden a bike in 17 years, hadn't swam in 20 years, couldn't run more than 2 miles. I started with a sprint, did terribly. Did an olympic, did terribly. Made a goal for myself and busted it for about 10 months with dozens of frozen bike rides and runs; then into the heat of the summer, barely making it through my training sessions. In that time, I lost 50 pounds. My blood pressure dropped dramatically. I feel like my life is completely stress-free. This was my first HIM. My goal was under 7hrs and beat it by 4 minutes. Also, beat the mayor by a few seconds (I thought it was cool he raced). This has changed my life. If you saw a big dude choking up in the last mile, that was me. Triathlons have completely changed my life and being able to finish, let alone beat my goal, was even more overwhelming. I'll be back next year.

Post of the year.

Congrats on your day.

2010-09-28 10:41 AM
in reply to: #2536713

I just sent an email to WTC at this link:  http://www.ironmanusa.com/contact/index.php

Everyone email as well...tell them how annoyed we are about eliminating the Athena/Clydesdale divisions and lack of finishers medals...and whatever else you feel is worth commenting about! 

Better that they hear us than not!

2010-09-28 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3121595

User image

Elite
SE
alltom1 is right on about jmgeller. well done!

and I just wrote WTC this note:

Overall there are plusses and minuses at all events but I felt these three needed to be brought to your attention.

I was very disappointed that I had registered under the category of master clydes and then on race day was told that I had been lumped in age group and there were no Athenas and Clydes. This is fine had I known beforehand. This really bothered me for that reason and as I had waited around for a few hours in the rain for awards that never came.

Likewise registration for this event was horrible on Saturday and they ran out of medals later in the day for some of my fellow finishers, much to their chagrin.
2010-09-28 11:02 AM

This is my letter....

I raced in Augusta 70.3.  For the past year I have been signed up in the Athena division and even when I picked up my registration on Friday everything was labeled as ATHENA.  Therefore today I was shocked and disappointed after the race when I was told they decided at some point during the day to do away with the Athena and Clydesdale divisions. I raced as an Athena...for the past 6 months I've been training to win the Athena division...and today I did just that but I was not recognized for it because someone took it away for no reason.  I'm fully aware that weight classes do not get Clearwater slots...most of us that race in weight division know that we don't get the same benefits as age groupers. But don't have us sign up for the division and think we are racing for that title all day and then when we go to the awards and look for results have that taken away. That just sucks.  If you did that to any other division it would not be tolerated. I can't imagine that the men in the Clydesdale division are too pleased with this decision either. I would love to hear a valid explanation for this because the people at the race were no help. I'll be happy to provide my mailing address for my plaque that I won fair and square today as well.

Disappointed,

Marne McLyman
Augusta 70.3 Athena Champion 2010

2010-09-28 11:06 AM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Here's mine:

I competed in the Ironman Augusta 70.3 event this year. What a great race!! The city of Augusta really supports this race and the experience was unbelievable. I was in awe by the number of volunteers who participated.

This was my first 70.3 and I am very pleased with my 7:08 finish time. However I am extremely disappointed that even though I finished nearly one hour before the race cut-off, I crossed the finish line only to find out that you had already run out of finisher medals. What?!?!? How could this happen?!?!? Did you not know the exact number of people who registered for this race? I know this is not the first event that this organization has ever put on. There is absolutely no excuse for this error!! On top of that, there was no one at the finish line to inform us of the process we need to go thru in order to get our medal. We heard through the grapevine that one would be mailed, but we have no official word from anyone.

I am 1) officially requesting the finisher medal that I earned, 2) I am wanting an offical apology since no one was there to offer me one at the finish line, and 3) I am wanting you to make this right. I feel that everyone who did not receive their finisher medal as they crossed the finish line should be entitle to a partial refund or should be given a discount on a future Ironman brand race. For many of us this was our first 70.3. Even when we finally get our medal we can not go back and have our finishing pictures taken, so forever we will not have race day photos with our finisher medals.

Ironman is THE name in triathlons. To compete and complete an Ironman branded race is a huge accomplishment. This was evident by the many people who finished the race and were wearing their finishing medals with pride. For a number of us who had slower finishing times, you robbed us of some of that excitement.

2010-09-28 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3121651

User image

Elite
Raleigh
MarneJMcLyman - 2010-09-28 12:02 PM This is my letter....

I raced in Augusta 70.3.  For the past year I have been signed up in the Athena division and even when I picked up my registration on Friday everything was labeled as ATHENA.  Therefore today I was shocked and disappointed after the race when I was told they decided at some point during the day to do away with the Athena and Clydesdale divisions. I raced as an Athena...for the past 6 months I've been training to win the Athena division...and today I did just that but I was not recognized for it because someone took it away for no reason.  I'm fully aware that weight classes do not get Clearwater slots...most of us that race in weight division know that we don't get the same benefits as age groupers. But don't have us sign up for the division and think we are racing for that title all day and then when we go to the awards and look for results have that taken away. That just sucks.  If you did that to any other division it would not be tolerated. I can't imagine that the men in the Clydesdale division are too pleased with this decision either. I would love to hear a valid explanation for this because the people at the race were no help. I'll be happy to provide my mailing address for my plaque that I won fair and square today as well.

Disappointed,

Marne McLyman
Augusta 70.3 Athena Champion 2010

Marne:

I raced Augusta this weekend too, so I know what you went through. Let me say congratulations! In my eyes you won the Athena division and that ROCKS!! Truly awesome for you and not so awesome by the WTC! I do not understand what eliminating the Athena and Clydesdale divisions gained them. This is not like sending the waves off at 3 min ute intervals instead of 4 minutes to try and avoid bad weather!

Doug

Edited by DougRob 2010-09-28 11:51 AM

2010-09-28 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3121390

User image

Expert
Wellington, Florida
We all on this group send you a "were proud of you".  Please keep us up to date on your training.

2x
2010-09-28 12:32 PM

User image

New user

Georgia
I agree the lack of finisher medal is inexcuseable. Last year was my first HIM and I was in the last swim wave. When I finished they told me they had run out of medals and I replied I am standing here until you find me one. They came up with one and I got my medal but I was close to tears when they said they ran out. I was definitely at the back of the pack but they knew how many people were registered and competing. It sounds as if they did not learn from this mistake and in fact were even more negligent since they ran out of medals much earlier.

This year I was in an earlier swim wave and cut off almost an hour from last years time even after hanging back in the run to encourage a friend to finish. I came with a big group of people many of which were first timers. When we found out that some of them were not getting medals, the early finishers and HIM veterans gave up our medals so the newbies could have one to take home. That medal meant much more to them then it did to me. I was happy with my PR but it wasn't my big race for the year. It also seemed that the finish line was geting packed away sooner than the final cutoff time allowed for. I really hope the people at ESI and Ironman make this right and make sure it never happens again.
2010-09-28 1:37 PM

Thanks for the kinds words everyone!  At least it sounds like we all had good experiences out on the actual course...maybe WTC will make the rest of it right for us!  Happy to training to everyone!
2010-09-28 1:40 PM
in reply to: #3122048

User image

Elite
SE
Thanks FattyFatFat. I just also wrote Bill Burke the following taking some of your stuff and adding to mine:

Race Director:
Premier Event Management
Premier Event Management
1525A River Oaks Road East
Harahan, LA 70123

Bill Burke, Race Organizer
Phone: 504-454-6561

[email protected]

Dear Bill Burke,

I love that you put on great races and there were lots of plusses to the Augusta event last year and this year. Three things really bothered me and I felt strongly that you should know. Last year you made a big deal on the podium for me to win clydes by a wide margin. I have a picture of you handing me a lovely glass mdot award and art piece. Then I had a year of trash talking to the world at large. I registered early as a masters clydes for Augusta and trained hard to defend. I mean like insanely.

Fast forward to Sunday. I nearly killed myself out on the course to get the best possible time in hopes of answering the challenge. I took risks that I shouldn't have in the rain. Then, after finishing, I waited around in the heat and then rain for the awards ceremony for a couple of hours that I could have rolled home from. Then I learn right before awards that I had been lumped in with the other age groupers who in most cases weigh 50 lbs less than me. That's really not fair to do that after having me register and race as a clydes.

I know I don't get a Clearwater slot but to miss out on the recognition from you on that podium really hurt. I wish I would have know beforehand so I could have made decisions otherwise with full knowledge and informed others of same. I would not have brought lots of folks to Augusta to celebrate with me if I didn't think I was going to be on the podium.

The two other things were that ridiculous wait for registration on Saturday, which I think could have easily been alleviated by opening registration earlier that day. Also, the fact that some of my fellow competitors did not get medals was bothersome.

As a good guy and an excellent RD I thought you might want to address these concerns. I thank you in advance for your attention.
Harvey L Gayer, Ph.D.
2010-09-28 1:57 PM

User image

Elite
SE
however:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

[email protected]

2010-09-28 2:33 PM

Try this site.... http://www.pem-usa.com/contac

Surely between the two of us we can get them to acknowledge their mistake
2010-09-28 3:00 PM
in reply to: #3121660

I agree with you about how they handled running out of medals. This was my first 70.3 and I finished very close to you. I was very disappointed that they ran out of medals and there wasn't anybody to explain how getting your medal would be handled. How do you not know how many medals to order. If they had to have the order in for medals before they closed off registration then they need to rethink closing registration earlier next year. All in all it was an organized race but I am very disappointed that I don't have a medal to show for my efforts.
2010-09-28 4:40 PM
in reply to: #3122101

User image

Champion
marietta
phatknot - 2010-09-28 2:57 PM however:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

[email protected]

i had to chuckle a little when i read this post.  that email is straight from the augusta site.  geeez. 

looks like marne has the right info now.  good luck.  ya'll really deserve some answers here. 

2010-09-29 2:59 PM

Got a very nice email from the head timing guy at Augusta 70.3....the Athena/Clydesdale thing is being fixed.  Official results have now been posted. 

http://onlineraceresults.com/event/view_event.php?event_id=5660

Thanks to them for replying and making this right.

2010-09-29 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3124517

User image

Elite
SE
yes they posted. You and I each won the whole division! but are you getting a cheapo plaque? send me a copy of the email back channel?

2010-09-29 3:10 PM

User image

Veteran
I thought we were supposed to get laps 1-2 for the run?
I know I crossed a mat around the "halfway" point-I havent seen any results showing this.
anyone know whats up?
2010-09-29 4:48 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, Florida
franktheguard...good point.
I know of one person that called it quites after the first loop but is counted in the overall, not a DNF.

FM
"The" Cube
2010-09-29 4:52 PM

User image

Elite
SE
haha

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3009699;page=3;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;
2010-09-29 5:45 PM

We probably are getting cheapo plaques but that's better than nothing.  I'm sure you got the same email from the Ironman Headquarters that I just got but here's the nice email from Scott who was in charge of timing.

Hi Marne, Thank you very much for the email. You feedback is greatly appreciated. I will be answering this email on behalf of the others, as I was the event timing director for the Augusta 70.3. First, let me give you a little bit of background. Earlier this year the World Triathlon Corporation (owners of the Ironman brand), purchased the Ironman 70.3 - Augusta. At the time when you registered the Clydesdale/Athena division was a planned division by the event organizers. Everything was prepared as usual for the event, which is why you noticed at packet pickup that you were still in the Athena division. Since there are no Clearwater spots for this division, the new owners had not prepared awards for Clydesdales or Athenas. As the timing lead for the event, when I found out there were no awards I made the decision to not score anyone registered for the division. I moved athletes to their respective age-group. I felt that no matter which way, it was not a win situation. If I scored everyone as registered, then they would be asking for an award and if I did not then they would be disappointed for the division disappearing. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. The event director, Bill Burke, has discussed with the new event owner about this oversight. It will be rectified, he called me and had me recompile the results based on original registered divisions. I have now posted and will keep posted online the division results for the Clydesdale/Athena division, see link to results page below "Clydesdale/Athena". http://onlineraceresults.com/event/view_event.php?event_id=5660 Again thank you for your email. Please let me know if you have any questions. Congratulations on your placement and finish! Sincerely, Scott Scott Langford Trinity Timing & Consulting
2010-10-01 10:22 AM

User image

Veteran

pics anyone?
Havent recd a link yet.
A?nd its not like the awesome SWAG bag had a flyer for what website was taking them???!

2010-10-01 10:32 AM

User image

New user

Georgia
Photos can be found here by plugging in your bib number

http://www.brightroom.com/view_event.asp?EVENTID=61951

I did not get an official email but this is the link from the Augusta web page.

Also, I got a response to my email about the medals and you can expect them in 4-6 weeks. Nice, huh?

2010-10-01 10:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Jenbeast--Thanks so much!!!
2010-10-03 9:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Who's signing up for next year?

I AM !!! 
2010-10-03 6:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Thanks to anyone that gave me a yell at my first HIM.  I think I was the only one with a BT tri top and bottoms on.  It was great and I posted a 6:53:21.  My goal for first hIM was to break 7 hours and not end up in the hospital.  I think the only reason I broke 7 hours is because the Drill Instructor at the last intersection told me he was gonna call my momma and tell her I walked if I did not get my butt in gear.  LOL.  He was great.  It was funny watching people who were walking get to the road he was on and then start running.  He should be a tri coach.  I'd use him.  Thanks again everyone.  I had a great time.  I will certainly be back next year.
Tom
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Augusta : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 24