General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do I throw up during a work out? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-01 2:06 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Why do I throw up during a work out?
For some reason during workouts, I throw up. I mean I have had hard work outs all the time but it mainly started last year when I was 15. The most frequent times that it happens is after a race (for example a 400 sprint) and also during swim team practices. I was wondering why it happened and I was hoping someone could help tell me whether it is nutrition related or my heart rate (I read that somewhere online). I know this happens to other people but I couldn't find why.

Also if someone could tell me how to prevent this I would appreciate it greatly.

Please help!

Edited by Chris_Debiak 2009-12-01 2:08 PM

2009-12-01 4:58 PM
in reply to: #2538062

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Subject: RE: Why do I throw up during a work out?
Chris_Debiak - 2009-12-01 3:06 PM For some reason during workouts, I throw up. I mean I have had hard work outs all the time but it mainly started last year when I was 15. The most frequent times that it happens is after a race (for example a 400 sprint) and also during swim team practices. I was wondering why it happened and I was hoping someone could help tell me whether it is nutrition related or my heart rate (I read that somewhere online). I know this happens to other people but I couldn't find why.

Also if someone could tell me how to prevent this I would appreciate it greatly.

Please help!

Hmmm.....initially I would say thats its because you are going too hard.....but if that is not new for you then it is quite possible that you have GERD, which stands for gastroesophageal reflux disease. There are diagnostic tests that will tell you if this is the case.....a PH probe comes to mind. And it can be treated with a medication called Pantaloc if it is indeed what you have!

Have you seen a doctor about this ?

Good Luck!
2009-12-01 5:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
You may be working out too soon after a meal, or just overexerting yourself. I'd talk to a doctor and get it checked out, though.
2009-12-01 6:16 PM
in reply to: #2538439

User image

Regular
Winston-Salem
mrheathen - 2009-12-01 3:10 PM You may be working out too soon after a meal, or just overexerting yourself. I'd talk to a doctor and get it checked out, though.

Agreed.  I try to make my longer more strenuous workouts 1.5 hours after my last meal to give me enough time to digest.  This is my tried and true method.

I noticed I would vomit during exercise especially if I ate greasy food for the last meal beforehand, which I frequently did in my teens.  Needless to say, I've learned my lesson.
2009-12-02 7:30 PM

User image

New user

Thanks all, I believe its from working and what I ate but i could be wrong. (My swim coach gives me some pretty intense workouts so I'll see how it goes) I'm thinking it is the difficulty of them but I'll find out soon enough!

Once again, thanks for the help.

If it keeps up I will see a doctor.

Edited by Chris_Debiak 2009-12-02 7:30 PM
2009-12-03 6:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
One last thing: you can't manage what you don't measure. I'd recommend starting to keep a log of your food and your workouts and the times you throw up. You might notice a pattern.

2009-12-06 11:27 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
We had a kid when I was in high school that had a similar problem, but we found it was because he was eating and then working out.  He said he wasn't that his last "meal" was at lunch around 12:30 and practice was at 3:30.  The problem was that he was also eating some chips or a candy bar or pounding down a pop before practice.  He wasn't thinking of those, because they were not a "meal".  Once he started to track it he noticed that he was always practicing withing about 45-60 minutes from the time he had eaten.  When he waited at least 90 minutes he didn't have any problems again.  I would say track the foods and times and compare it all.  Also see a doctor and ask about any simple tests.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do I throw up during a work out? Rss Feed