General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FS Series or NCTS Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-12-01 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: FS Series or NCTS
Any one know which series might have better prizes/gifts, or have any opinions on which might be better?  I was thinking of trying to concentrate my races on one series or another.

2009-12-01 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2538068

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: FS Series or NCTS
I have done races in both series and do not recall either having better swag than the other. Due to my schedule this coming year I will be doing more FSseries races. Having said that Pinehurst and Triangle were well-run great tris last year. I will be doing Triangle again this year.

What is your reason for concentrating on one? I go by the races that fit my schedule, cost, are the length I want, and how much I have to travel.

I am doing two races not in either series the Nations triathlon in DC and the Augusta 1/2IM.
2009-12-01 2:44 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

I've considered trying to do the minimum races to qualify in a series, even though I'm am at best middle of the pack. NCTS definitely requires 5 races.

FS Series states 5 of 10 races, but they now have more than 10 and last year some podium spots were occupied by people with only 3 races. I like the idea of them using the top xx scores, but allowing people who do less to still place if not many people to xx races.

TrySports Development Series requires 4 races.

If I do one this year it will be FS, especially if Gary Kirby is included in the series. They have a lot of races near the Triangle, they generally cost less, and I have a few on my planned list anyway. I don't think I happen to be doing any NCTS events this season and just one TSDS.

I would bet NCTS has better prizes, but FS does award cool belt buckles at Battle at Buckhorn Sprint.

2009-12-01 3:02 PM
in reply to: #2538150

User image

Veteran
DougRob - 2009-12-01 3:43 PM I have done races in both series and do not recall either having better swag than the other. Due to my schedule this coming year I will be doing more FSseries races. Having said that Pinehurst and Triangle were well-run great tris last year. I will be doing Triangle again this year.

What is your reason for concentrating on one? I go by the races that fit my schedule, cost, are the length I want, and how much I have to travel.

I am doing two races not in either series the Nations triathlon in DC and the Augusta 1/2IM.

Mostly to try for overall points standings.  Not sure if it'll really even matter, as I don't know if I'd be close to winning anything, but it'd be nice to see how I do overall compared to everyone else, and one more thing to work toward.
2009-12-01 4:57 PM
in reply to: #2538150

User image

Master
Raleigh
DougRob - 2009-12-01 3:43 AM I have done races in both series and do not recall either having better swag than the other. Due to my schedule this coming year I will be doing more FSseries races. Having said that Pinehurst and Triangle were well-run great tris last year. I will be doing Triangle again this year.

doug i was plannin the nations tri too...sounds fun!
2009-12-01 5:52 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Great Scottie! The more the merrier. BTW it ain't cheap! Cry

2009-12-01 6:03 PM
in reply to: #2538505

New user
Raleigh NC
Doug, Thinking of HIM Augusta its a month after IM Louisville so I should be able to walk by then!!! I'm out of town this weekend. I still have to go over race schedules to get an accurate reverse time line to fit in races with training. Are FS and NCTs the 2 major series down here?
2009-12-01 6:59 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh
good grief....you're not lying about expensive...sigh...it's still a trip to my #2 city...

Setup and FS if i recall are the only series here in the triangle area....i'm not sure of any others: meaning i've only participated in events by them.

I also plan to do augusta. i need to win the lotto with all these friggin fees and destination costs...
2009-12-01 8:03 PM

New user
Raleigh NC
I try to psyche myself out concerning the total expense. I'll sign up for an event months in advance. Then depending on distance from home look into Sleeping arrangements friends or family in the area where the event is held if neither exists then its shelling out money on a hotel or sleeping in the back of the truck with the bike, which isn't half bad as it doesn't kick or snore. then I look at travel plans.. Plane, train or drive. spreading it out seems to at least not make it hurt sooo bad! Just my 2 cents which ironically is all I have left after this past season.
2009-12-02 10:48 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh
i wonder if J, my SO would sleep in my Jeep with me...LMAO
2009-12-02 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2538516

User image

Elite
Raleigh
bps8229 - 2009-12-01 7:03 PM Doug, Thinking of HIM Augusta its a month after IM Louisville so I should be able to walk by then!!! I'm out of town this weekend. I still have to go over race schedules to get an accurate reverse time line to fit in races with training. Are FS and NCTs the 2 major series down here?

Scottie is correct as far as I am aware that these are the two main series here.

I have family in the DC area so no hotel $ and only a 4 hour drive.

We should track everyone from the area going to Augusta and try to caravan together. I know Harold is going. If Scottie goes I assume Jenn is going too. Bryan you would be at least number 5. I think Carol might be going. Anyone else?

2009-12-02 12:13 PM
in reply to: #2539554

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
DougRob - 2009-12-02 11:52 AM
bps8229 - 2009-12-01 7:03 PM Doug, Thinking of HIM Augusta its a month after IM Louisville so I should be able to walk by then!!! I'm out of town this weekend. I still have to go over race schedules to get an accurate reverse time line to fit in races with training. Are FS and NCTs the 2 major series down here?

Scottie is correct as far as I am aware that these are the two main series here.

I have family in the DC area so no hotel $ and only a 4 hour drive.

We should track everyone from the area going to Augusta and try to caravan together. I know Harold is going. If Scottie goes I assume Jenn is going too. Bryan you would be at least number 5. I think Carol might be going. Anyone else?

I definitely want to go do Augusta 70.3 again this coming year, missed my mark of finishing in 7 hrs. or less and want to acheive that this year...
2009-12-02 1:10 PM
in reply to: #2539554

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson
I will probably do Augusta as well.  It will be my first half.  Don't know if you guys will pass through Charlotte on your way, though.  I know four other people going from here too.

Greg
2010-01-02 8:08 AM

User image

New user

Dublin
I did the Nations  Tri this past September. This was one of the best larger scale races I have competed in. It was well organized from the front end to the back end. I am seriously considering making a return this year due to the great experience I had in the race. The course is flat and fast however the run doubles back a couple of times and messed with my mind a little. Good thing is its only 6 miles.
2010-01-04 3:05 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

Working on my schedule I found that I'm leaning heavily FS Series just because there are more events closer to home. Ther is no reason for me to drive more than an hour to do all the racing I can handle, besides maybe for an Oly. And I could choose Beaverdam which is about a 30 minute drive and also an FSS event.

As it stands now, Riverwood (the closest to home), is the only SetUp race I'm doing. I'm still considering Kerr Lake or White Lake Oly, though. Sure Beaverdam is close, but it's COLD. I might do as many as 7 FSS events.

2010-01-04 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2593180

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
DMarkSwan - 2010-01-04 4:05 PM

Working on my schedule I found that I'm leaning heavily FS Series just because there are more events closer to home. Ther is no reason for me to drive more than an hour to do all the racing I can handle, besides maybe for an Oly. And I could choose Beaverdam which is about a 30 minute drive and also an FSS event.

As it stands now, Riverwood (the closest to home), is the only SetUp race I'm doing. I'm still considering Kerr Lake or White Lake Oly, though. Sure Beaverdam is close, but it's COLD. I might do as many as 7 FSS events.

I've been noticing the same thing. I'm doing White Lake HIM but other than that, not many setup events races at all. I might do the Jordan Lake sprint (close to home) but most of the others on my "maybe list" are FS Series. I liked Triangle last year but the timing isn't great, and that parking situation ticked me off (and wasted 2 hrs of my wife and kids' time) so I am not sure about doing it again. This will all become clearer as the season gets closer. Anyone know why they don't allow you to check the participant list anymore? It was a nice way of timing when to register (e.g., 500 slots left- I can play it by ear). Now all you can see if "open". Maybe I am doing something wrong though.

2010-01-04 3:34 PM
in reply to: #2593210

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

They don't show the list early in registration to relieve some of the strain on their servers during initial registration. It will show when XX number of slots are left, although I'm not sure what % filled they start noting.

Having WL Oly on my maybe list is difficult because it will likely fill up. I wonder how long before all the FSS races start filling up too fast to allow the season to develop a little before deciding later races.

2010-01-07 9:07 AM

Any insight on the fs series duathlons. Looking at doing both the Winston Salem and Charlotte races. With under a month left until the Winston Salem race only 32 people have signed up and 18 for Charlotte. Is it the weather, course, location? Or is it just the type of race? No one I train with was even aware of either event, but they could tell u the exact dates for every setup event two days after the schedule was released.
2010-01-07 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2599959

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

They're just too new for people to know much about. SetUp has been around long enough that many just think of them when they are looking for events. Even if you make it to FS's website, triathletes might not click on the duathlons section. I know a guy who did the whole series last year and he seemed to enjoy them.

I thought about Greenville, but there are so many good tris closer to home that I ran through my race budget.

2010-01-07 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2599959

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
trophyhusband - 2010-01-07 9:07 AM

Any insight on the fs series duathlons. Looking at doing both the Winston Salem and Charlotte races. With under a month left until the Winston Salem race only 32 people have signed up and 18 for Charlotte. Is it the weather, course, location? Or is it just the type of race? No one I train with was even aware of either event, but they could tell u the exact dates for every setup event two days after the schedule was released.

I've done the Winston-Salem race for the past two years and plan to do it again this year. Normally they get about 125 competitors or so ... which is fine by me. I may be in the minority, but I enjoy smaller races more than larger ones.

Acutally, it is a great venue, with a nice challenging run, and a very picturesque bike portion thru some lightly traveled roads, past vineyards and large horse farms.

The weather has been great the past few years ... mid to upper 40s and clear.

This is a great race to see where you stand heading into the spring.

Check out my race report from last year: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Edited by rventuri 2010-01-07 11:53 AM
2010-01-07 12:05 PM

User image

Master
Wilmington
I do`nt want to go off on a tangent but I did 7 setup events last year and they where great but with the price increase   I am cutting my races  down to  2 or 3 with them  and focusing on bigger races with more competiors and branded like Ironman 70.3 Florida where its not just doing the races its the whole vibe the atmosphere. Besides  doing 3 sprints almost equals $$ doing a huge race. NOW do not get me wrong I had fun and only 3 out of the 7 races last year I  reallllllllllllllllly enjoyed because of the atmosphere and course  and that was White Lake Sprint(Just great to be there), Kure Beach( diffrent and kicked my A%$) and YMCA Wrightville Beach Tri ( close to home , great weather, fun people) .  I  do understand  for some  people the Fs series mean closer to home and  might be cheaper (not sure on that one). Ok done  with my peronal tangent carry on

2010-01-08 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2600535

User image

Extreme Veteran
Livestrong191 - 2010-01-07 1:05 PM I do`nt want to go off on a tangent but I did 7 setup events last year and they where great but with the price increase   I am cutting my races  down to  2 or 3 with them  and focusing on bigger races with more competiors and branded like Ironman 70.3 Florida where its not just doing the races its the whole vibe the atmosphere. Besides  doing 3 sprints almost equals $$ doing a huge race. NOW do not get me wrong I had fun and only 3 out of the 7 races last year I  reallllllllllllllllly enjoyed because of the atmosphere and course  and that was White Lake Sprint(Just great to be there), Kure Beach( diffrent and kicked my A%$) and YMCA Wrightville Beach Tri ( close to home , great weather, fun people) .  I  do understand  for some  people the Fs series mean closer to home and  might be cheaper (not sure on that one). Ok done  with my peronal tangent carry on

I have a question. I've never done a branded "ironman" event. Is the vibe that much better than the larger setup events races? I'm thinking Augusta vs White Lake or Triangle or one of the others that sells out. Looking at the White Lake Half, registration is $135, or about 35% or so of the branded half ironman races. I'm not keen on small races either, but might do one this year just to see what it is like. To me, I don't really want to be out there on my own in a race- I enjoy seeing other people racing too. 
2010-01-08 10:09 AM
in reply to: #2602723

User image

Master
Wilmington
louiskie - 2010-01-08 9:49 AM
Livestrong191 - 2010-01-07 1:05 PM I do`nt want to go off on a tangent but I did 7 setup events last year and they where great but with the price increase   I am cutting my races  down to  2 or 3 with them  and focusing on bigger races with more competiors and branded like Ironman 70.3 Florida where its not just doing the races its the whole vibe the atmosphere. Besides  doing 3 sprints almost equals $$ doing a huge race. NOW do not get me wrong I had fun and only 3 out of the 7 races last year I  reallllllllllllllllly enjoyed because of the atmosphere and course  and that was White Lake Sprint(Just great to be there), Kure Beach( diffrent and kicked my A%$) and YMCA Wrightville Beach Tri ( close to home , great weather, fun people) .  I  do understand  for some  people the Fs series mean closer to home and  might be cheaper (not sure on that one). Ok done  with my peronal tangent carry on

I have a question. I've never done a branded "ironman" event. Is the vibe that much better than the larger setup events races? I'm thinking Augusta vs White Lake or Triangle or one of the others that sells out. Looking at the White Lake Half, registration is $135, or about 35% or so of the branded half ironman races. I'm not keen on small races either, but might do one this year just to see what it is like. To me, I don't really want to be out there on my own in a race- I enjoy seeing other people racing too. 

Well I look at it this way  you have 2500 to 3000 people racing in an ironman brand race( will not be alone for sure) and they put on a  bigger production  and big sponsoers come out and give stuff away and to me  and  it is AMAZING looking at T1 with a few thousand bikes than just a few hundred. I also see it if you a strong racer you can optain bigger goals like quailifying for World 70.3 champtionships rather than to just collect point on the NTCS season 
2010-01-08 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2602809

User image

Extreme Veteran
Livestrong191 - 2010-01-08 11:09 AM

Well I look at it this way  you have 2500 to 3000 people racing in an ironman brand race( will not be alone for sure) and they put on a  bigger production  and big sponsoers come out and give stuff away and to me  and  it is AMAZING looking at T1 with a few thousand bikes than just a few hundred. I also see it if you a strong racer you can optain bigger goals like quailifying for World 70.3 champtionships rather than to just collect point on the NTCS season 

I just have a hard time spending $350 on a race...unless it is a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing, but I can certainly appreciate why someone might want to do that. Yeah, the NTCS point series doesn't interest me much. And I am not anywhere close to qualifying for Clearwater :-) If I ever get fast enough I will be happy to fork over the $350 or so :-) Now if an ironman 70.3 was $200, I would happily spend the difference between that and a non-branded event. Everyone is different though. :-)
2010-01-08 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2602845

User image

Master
Wilmington
louiskie - 2010-01-08 10:18 AM
Livestrong191 - 2010-01-08 11:09 AM

I just have a hard time spending $350 on a race...unless it is a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing, but I can certainly appreciate why someone might want to do that. Yeah, the NTCS point series doesn't interest me much. And I am not anywhere close to qualifying for Clearwater :-) If I ever get fast enough I will be happy to fork over the $350 or so :-) Now if an ironman 70.3 was $200, I would happily spend the difference between that and a non-branded event. Everyone is different though. :-)

If you where in the militery they give discount  for that. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FS Series or NCTS Rss Feed  

of 2