in reply to: #2602845

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
Subject: RE: FS Series or NCTS
louiskie - 2010-01-08 11:18 AM
Livestrong191 - 2010-01-08 11:09 AM
louiskie - 2010-01-08 9:49 AM
Livestrong191 - 2010-01-07 1:05 PM I do`nt want to go off on a tangent but I did 7 setup events last year and they where great but with the price increase   I am cutting my races  down to  2 or 3 with them  and focusing on bigger races with more competiors and branded like Ironman 70.3 Florida where its not just doing the races its the whole vibe the atmosphere. Besides  doing 3 sprints almost equals $$ doing a huge race. NOW do not get me wrong I had fun and only 3 out of the 7 races last year I  reallllllllllllllllly enjoyed because of the atmosphere and course  and that was White Lake Sprint(Just great to be there), Kure Beach( diffrent and kicked my A%$) and YMCA Wrightville Beach Tri ( close to home , great weather, fun people) .  I  do understand  for some  people the Fs series mean closer to home and  might be cheaper (not sure on that one). Ok done  with my peronal tangent carry on

I have a question. I've never done a branded "ironman" event. Is the vibe that much better than the larger setup events races? I'm thinking Augusta vs White Lake or Triangle or one of the others that sells out. Looking at the White Lake Half, registration is $135, or about 35% or so of the branded half ironman races. I'm not keen on small races either, but might do one this year just to see what it is like. To me, I don't really want to be out there on my own in a race- I enjoy seeing other people racing too. 

Well I look at it this way  you have 2500 to 3000 people racing in an ironman brand race( will not be alone for sure) and they put on a  bigger production  and big sponsoers come out and give stuff away and to me  and  it is AMAZING looking at T1 with a few thousand bikes than just a few hundred. I also see it if you a strong racer you can optain bigger goals like quailifying for World 70.3 champtionships rather than to just collect point on the NTCS season 

I just have a hard time spending $350 on a race...unless it is a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing, but I can certainly appreciate why someone might want to do that. Yeah, the NTCS point series doesn't interest me much. And I am not anywhere close to qualifying for Clearwater :-) If I ever get fast enough I will be happy to fork over the $350 or so :-) Now if an ironman 70.3 was $200, I would happily spend the difference between that and a non-branded event. Everyone is different though. :-)

If you register early on, the Ironman Augusta 70.3 is $225 ... not $300-350 ... plsu it was SUPER for spectators and family, running back and forth down town ... great, relatively easy river swim ... great vibe there and cost for me was reasonable considering an Ironman-branded event.

Also like the Triangle Tri in Raleigh bv Setup Events, great vide there as well, around 1200 last year, this year broken into both a sat and Sun race ... cap 800 each ...

2010-01-08 4:03 PM
in reply to: #2603787

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: RE: FS Series or NCTS
klowman - 2010-01-08 4:32 PM
louiskie - 2010-01-08 11:18 AM
I have a question. I've never done a branded "ironman" event. Is the vibe that much better than the larger setup events races? I'm thinking Augusta vs White Lake or Triangle or one of the others that sells out. Looking at the White Lake Half, registration is $135, or about 35% or so of the branded half ironman races. I'm not keen on small races either, but might do one this year just to see what it is like. To me, I don't really want to be out there on my own in a race- I enjoy seeing other people racing too. 

Well I look at it this way  you have 2500 to 3000 people racing in an ironman brand race( will not be alone for sure) and they put on a  bigger production  and big sponsoers come out and give stuff away and to me  and  it is AMAZING looking at T1 with a few thousand bikes than just a few hundred. I also see it if you a strong racer you can optain bigger goals like quailifying for World 70.3 champtionships rather than to just collect point on the NTCS season 

I just have a hard time spending $350 on a race...unless it is a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing, but I can certainly appreciate why someone might want to do that. Yeah, the NTCS point series doesn't interest me much. And I am not anywhere close to qualifying for Clearwater :-) If I ever get fast enough I will be happy to fork over the $350 or so :-) Now if an ironman 70.3 was $200, I would happily spend the difference between that and a non-branded event. Everyone is different though. :-)

If you register early on, the Ironman Augusta 70.3 is $225 ... not $300-350 ... plsu it was SUPER for spectators and family, running back and forth down town ... great, relatively easy river swim ... great vibe there and cost for me was reasonable considering an Ironman-branded event.

Also like the Triangle Tri in Raleigh bv Setup Events, great vide there as well, around 1200 last year, this year broken into both a sat and Sun race ... cap 800 each ...

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for clarifying. $225 is not that bad at all for a large event.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FS Series or NCTS Rss Feed  

of 2