General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming and Ect... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-02 4:40 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Swimming and Ect...
So I started my swim training today, and I suck. That pretty much sums it up. I can only really do 100m and then have to stop for like a whole minute. I was wondering if there is any place where I can get some really easy, progressive swim lessons for free. Like doing 100 on 20" rest is too hard for me. I want it to be progressive so I can get better. I have found swimplan.com but I dont know if I like there style or not.Also, share your stories about when you started swimming, I would like to hear them and get some inspiration. Thanks, as always!

2009-12-02 4:44 PM
in reply to: #2540375

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Subject: RE: Swimming and Ect...

There are tons of YouTube videos out there (one by a guy named Jimmy something is good)

also GoSwim.tv
2009-12-02 4:57 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
http://ruthkazez.com/SwimWorkouts/ZeroTo1mile.html
When I started swimming the lifeguard thought I was drowning. Seriously, I was just awful. I would purposely swim in the leisure pool so that I could put my feet down and walk if I needed to. I found a link to the above program, and within six weeks I could swim a straight mile. I'm slow, and I'm sure I have bad form, but I survived the swim at both of my races. This spring I'll get in the pool again and try to get better. Good luck.
2009-12-02 5:07 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
You'll get much better if you work at it.  I don't know where you can find free lessons.  I got pretty inexpensive coaching, and it has been well worth it.

My story:  First time in the pool I was gasping after 25m.  Often I had to switch to some contorted version of breast stroke just to get to the end of the lane.

Fast forward 18 months:  I'm no great shakes, but I can do sets of 100 meters (like 10x100m) coming in at 1:40 (=1:32/100yards), resting 15s.  I can swim 3 miles straight at a decent pace.  I LIKE swimming!
2009-12-02 5:51 PM

User image

Fishers, IN
I was there too about a year and a half ago.  I made up my mind that I would swim until I liked it, well I'm yet to like it!  It has gotten a lot better.  Over that time part of the time I have just swam on my own and part of the time in a Master's swim program.  Probably the best bang for the buck (time and money) is join a Master's program that has a coach on deck.  Stick with it, you will without a doubt improve.  Alternatively be resourceful; read, get the Total immersion video, watch you tube video and swim frequently and build your volume.  If not Masters, get a coach to advise you periodically during your practices.  There are no shortcuts.  It is a tough sport, but it does get easier.
2009-12-02 6:02 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
I got the brilliant idea to sign up for my first (and only so far) sprint triathlon before I even tried getting in a pool.  Remember doing some version of swimming as a kid, and the occasional leisurly float as an adult, but that's about it.  My first time in the pool (about July of this year), I was convinced I'd never be able to put my face in the water, and decided I needed a nose plug just to do that.  Never used it, and gradually learned to relax and breathe.  I was still struggling big time, and then watched a video on Total Immersion swimming (free one online).  Can't say I "get it" all, but it helped me start to think about balancing in the water, and I realized that faster/harder is not what swimming is about.  Anyway, still no lessons, but worked my way up to swimming 1K meters....usually in 300-400 meter sets.  My race in late Oct. was only 300 meters, and I felt relaxed and good in the water.  Today, someone even complimented my smooth stroke at the pool, a total stranger.  Keep going back, learn however you can / can afford, and relax!   

2009-12-02 6:51 PM
in reply to: #2540399

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Atlantia - 2009-12-02 5:57 PM http://ruthkazez.com/SwimWorkouts/ZeroTo1mile.htmlWhen I started swimming the lifeguard thought I was drowning. Seriously, I was just awful. I would purposely swim in the leisure pool so that I could put my feet down and walk if I needed to. I found a link to the above program, and within six weeks I could swim a straight mile. I'm slow, and I'm sure I have bad form, but I survived the swim at both of my races. This spring I'll get in the pool again and try to get better. Good luck.

Great plan, worked for me.
2009-12-02 7:03 PM
in reply to: #2540399

User image

Regular
Abbotsford BC, Canada
I'm also doing this plan and I'm on week 5.

3 months ago I was the same as you, 25 metres then rest for at least 30 sec.

However before starting the plan I would swim 3 time a week for at least a month though just to get the technique down. I purchased the TI book and I liked some of the concepts but I prefer "Mr Smooth" at this point.

http://www.swimsmooth.com/

This site has it all in my "newbie" opinion. I downlaoded the app and watch the swimmer at least every week.

Three tips that helped me and I would suggest to start out with;

1. breath every third stroke (bilateral) as your standard
2. don't blow your air out underwater gradually, hold your breath and then blow some out just before you rotate to breath
3. when your getting tired breath every second stroke (same side), because bilateral is your standard you can do this just as esily on either side.

Those things helped me a lot, I'm very glad a started out breathing every third stroke as it's a great base and helps my balance and rythm a lot.

Atlantia - 2009-12-02 2:57 PM http://ruthkazez.com/SwimWorkouts/ZeroTo1mile.htmlWhen I started swimming the lifeguard thought I was drowning. Seriously, I was just awful. I would purposely swim in the leisure pool so that I could put my feet down and walk if I needed to. I found a link to the above program, and within six weeks I could swim a straight mile. I'm slow, and I'm sure I have bad form, but I survived the swim at both of my races. This spring I'll get in the pool again and try to get better. Good luck.

Edited by raveon 2009-12-02 7:04 PM
2009-12-02 7:27 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
There is a recent seminar on youtube that will give you a good intro to TI if you want to know more:

http://www.totalimmersion.net/blog/Perpetual-Motion-Freestyle---MIT...
2009-12-03 7:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Really you just have to keep at it! swimming takes time and effort. So dont give up! I've been swimming competitively for 16 years and trust me I still find little things I can do to improve my strokes every now and then.

If you can find anyone where you swim who is a decent swimmer to look at your stroke and maybe critique it, that is probably the best advice you get. You can read and watch all the videos you want and you may think you are doing it right, but you really dont know for sure.

Stick with it and in time it will come
2009-12-03 11:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
I got a swim coach that was teaching triathletes.  He gave me several weeks of 1-on-1 instruction.  All he allowed me to do was drill work.  Then when he thought I had it down, he let me start working out with the rest of the triathletes.   I was amazed at how good of shape I was in from just doing hours of drill work.

Edited by ray6foot7 2009-12-03 11:28 AM

2009-12-03 11:39 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I went from no freestyle skills at all (drowning for 25 yards) to IM swim in just over 1 year with minimal pool availability.  Lessons will be good and you have to just keep at it.  The first 3 weeks will be the worst, after that you should be able to get less water, more air when you breath 8).   
2009-12-03 3:42 PM

I find I have an extremely difficult time breathing out under water.  It feels like I have to tighten my entire core and FORCE the air out.  Problem is, I can't do that AND swim so I'm stuck exhaling and inhaling when I come up for air (and that isn't working).  Anyone have any good ideas on how to remedy this? 

BTW - I've just started lessons last week.  I have a running and weight lifting background so I'm in decent shape, but I just can't concur the breathing.
2009-12-03 3:51 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
You can practice just the breathing: inhale, put your face in the water, exhale, come up for a breathe, repeat.
2009-12-03 4:11 PM

User image

NH
x2 on the breathing out in the water and lifting your head and breathing in.  Just get used to the breathing pattern.  Seems easy but I couldn't do it at all.

Get a coach or someone who understands the swim stroke to watch you and help you get it right.  It's very hard to self-analyze your swim stroke.

As far as progress - in August of this year, I couldn't swim with my face in the water, nor could I swim more than 50 yards without stopping to float, rest, and get my breath back.  Practice balance and breathing and it's amazing how fast you progress.  I can comfortably swim sets of 500 yds with 1:45 100s and I stop because the program calls for it, not because I have to.  And I don't say that to say I'm a good swimmer - I'm obviously still not.  But the improvements come fast if you stay balanced in the water and breath correctly.
2009-12-03 4:24 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO

I've been swimming for a long time now but I am mostly self-taught. I can remember when I was first learning a a friend of mine told me I was making it look much harder than I should (he wasn't a great swimmer himself).  The next time we met at the pool he gave me a pull bouy.  Yea, I've heard all the rap about how it hurts your from and creates bad habits.  Maybe it did as I never have become a fast swimmer.  But it helped in that I didn't have to worry about my legs and balance; therefore, I could concentrate better on how to breath.  You don't want to use them as a crutch...but it's a good way to get more comfortable.  I still use them most everytime I swim for about 25% of my workout.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming and Ect... Rss Feed