Southwest Challenges Series
32F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 3s
Overall Rank = 54/225
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/14
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6am - had waffles, bananas and a cup of coffee. Relaxed until 7, got dress, loaded up the bike and headed out at 7:20am to race. When I walked outside this morning it was cold!!! 28degrees and a slight breeze.
Event warmup:

slow jog and stretched and just walked around to stay warm and loose.
Swim
  • 09m 2s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

REVERSE TRI, so this was last event. I was pretty tired at this point - but knew my last month of swimming would help me. Just powered through each 50, stood up took a breath and went. I thought I was going so slow, I stopped a few times to let some people pass, but after looking at the results, the five people who passed me were sub 7 400m swimmers! they were flying!!!
What would you do differently?:

Continue working on my swimming, this was a PR for me in a race (my third race and all were reverse tris). so I'm happy with that, but I could have broke 9 minutes which was my swim goal if I wouldn't have stopped those few times. And put defogger in the goggles, this was one reason I stopped once!
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Time is approximate, results aren't split for transitions. this was bike to swim - actually pretty quick, but could have been quicker.tried to rip off shoes and calf cramped, second shoe was easier since I used the release mech on buckle :)

continue to practice!
Bike
  • 56m 24s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 16.52 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where I knew I would make my race! I set a goal for a sub 48min ride, which I've done three times in training. But the wind or headwind just wouldn't allow me to push it like that after my run. I flew the first 5 miles, averaged 24mph I think, but once I made the turn to head southwest, the 20mph headwind killed me! I was crawling! I still performed well, but the wind got me today and knocked me way out of my time goal. I think only 4 or so people passed me on the bike, the rest of the passing was done by me - especially on the the last brutal hill!

pray it's not windy! I can't complain about my bike performance - without wind, it's another story, but oh well!
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

approximate time: this was T1, run to bike. Pretty quick again, much quicker compared to my last two tris. One buckle shoes are much better than lace up shoes :)

maybe learn how to do a foot ontop of shoe out of transition, but that would require velcro only shoes.
Run
  • 26m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt confident going into this run, after the training I've done over the past 3.5 months, but spraining my ankle a month ago took me out of running for two weeks. Not an excuse, but I'm proud of myself for actually taking time off of running those two weeks and not pushing it. Now to the run, started off on my pace, but these hills during the first 1 mile kill me and I think I pushed to hard out of the gate. I ran a decent first 2 miles I think, but paid for it the final mile, which goes back up hill to finish the loop. Still kept it under 9min/mile and I didn't have to walk, but slowed quite a bit towards the end.

Keep running, I added 1 long run per a week this training period which helped my endurance, but the ankle sprain I think knocked me back a little bit and only gave me 3 weeks to get back. From there, I never ran past 3.6 miles. So - continue to run - and slow myself down to help me go faster in the end!
Post race
Warm down:

stretched - cheered on my three other friends who were finishing up the swim. Chowed some bananas/oranges and drank my Recoverite and Gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the WIND!!!! My run was about the same as the past two tris, I had a PR on my swim but the wind killed me on the bike!

Event comments:

I had lofty goals for this race today - first one was to have a sub 1h26m tri, the other was to place in my age group based on results from the two previous tris I competed in on this course. I didn't do either, but I still feel I performed well. I was close to my goal on the run and 2 seconds off of my goal for the swim, but still set a PR! My strongest sport is biking and the weather didn't allow me to perform as well as I would have liked to on this course, but more motivation for next time!

It was cool to have a few friends competing as well! My buddy competed for the first time, which was cool to see!

The actual race course is pretty tough, one of the toughest in the southwest from what I've been told. But I conquered today and will be back in April to set a PR on this course!

Last updated: 2009-11-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:02 | 400 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/14
Overall: 0/225
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pool swim
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:56:24 | 15.53 miles | 16.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/14
Wind: Strong
Course: course is ok - have ridden a few times and timed well. But, today there was at least a 20mph head wind for half the course! BRUTAL!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:39 | 03.11 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/14
Course: lots of hills! and some soft sand up and down hills.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-12-06 7:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
Subject: Jingle Bell Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jingle Bell Triathlon Rss Feed