City Of Perth
20C / 68F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 05m 53s
Overall Rank = 1423/2491
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 20/70
Pre-race routine:

At a ceilidh - dancing and a few glasses of wine was probably not the best thing for the night before but I knew I wouldn't sleep well anyway so I might as well have fun when being awake.

Up at 5.30am to allow my guts time to sort themselves out. Special K with craisans and sultanas and a cup of tea.
Event warmup:

Relaxing, slow 7km cycle from Nedlands to Perth CBD. Standing in the queue for a pee -did some stretches and some more while waiting in line to start.
Bike
  • 2h 05m 53s
  • 53 kms
  • 25.26 km/hr
Comments:

This is a really lovely cycle - there are many routes around the river and this is the first time I've done this one. The route goes through some of the most affluent parts of Perth so nice houses and pretty gardens to look at on the way around as well as the gorgeous views over the river. Had no trouble at the start - had placed myself near the back as I had a stinking cold and didn't know how hard I'd be able to push it. Passed quite a lot of people with no dramas but was holding back a bit until after the BIG HILL.

Mosman Hill has this mythic reputation and I was a bit worried - people who had done this race several times told me they'd never been able to cycle up it. I agree with Magda's comments from last year - it's really not that bad and I had no trouble getting to the top. It's such a shame more people didn't try because I think a lot of those who got off their bikes at the bottom would have made it, most people didn't even try; I reckon only 1 in 20 of us were even attempting it.

After the hill I started pushing it a bit more - I was feeling much better, I just found out that one of the thing adrenaline metabolizes to in your body is the same drug that's found in nose sprays so my whole head was doing better. The only place I was poor on was the hills, I was too scared to go down them really fast and people were streaming past me all the time. Some poor bloke stacked it right in front of me at about 30km, no idea how he did but I now know I can unclip really fast without thinking about it. He was okay, very shook up but with some great road rash - always nice to have some battlescars. I gave him some tissues and then set off to find his friend who was carrying all their kit. Was great motivation to really push it for the next 5km until I found her. I had got his name and checked the website and he finished so his day wasn't completely ruined.

The rest of the cycle was really nice, I had to dodge dropped water bottles and a few inner tubes and a one point a dead possum - never had to called out "roadkill" before. It was gorgeous coming back up at the freeway, the road was so smooth and I got down on the drops and passed buckets of people. I wish I'd had my tri bars fitted as it would have been a good time to use them. I pushed as hard as I could all the way back to end.

My finish time never did appear on the BikeExchange website so I worked out my placing from my computer reading.

What would you do differently?:

Not be so chicken coming down the hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered around the finish expo and drank the bottle of water I was given. The smell coming from the food tents was wonderful so I headed off for a relaxing 7km cycle home for a big brekfast of eggs, bacon and raisan toast.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Holding back until I'd done the hill and being really chicken on the big descents.

Event comments:

The organisation for the race was great - lots of volunteers and clear directions. I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-11-22 12:00 AM
Biking
02:05:53 | 53 kms | 25.26 km/hr
Age Group: 20/70
Overall: 1423/2491
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Starting and ending in Perth CBD, going around the river on closed and semi-closed roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-12-06 8:37 PM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Subject: Great Bike Ride

2009-12-06 11:56 PM
in reply to: #2545507

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Great Bike Ride
Great job Daisy!

I know what you mean about Mosman Hill - I'd heard so many stories..... was a struggle for me to get up but there was no way I was walking it

Great photos too !!

Nigel
2009-12-07 2:41 AM
in reply to: #2545507

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Great Bike Ride
There's never a bad time for a ceilidh ;-)  Nicely done!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Bike Ride Rss Feed