General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Replacing non-quick release hub w/quick release? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-07 1:39 PM

User image

Athens, GA
Subject: Replacing non-quick release hub w/quick release?
I have a bike mechanics question. My commuter is a crappy wal-mart bike with an old school nut&bolt rear hub configuation. I'd like to switch it out to a quick release skewer(?)? I have an extra one that came with my trainer that I don't need, so I was hoping it'd be as easy as unscrewing something and putting the quick release in its place. But after unscrewing the bolt, I was at a loss of what to do next.

Is what I'm trying to do possible? Or will I need new hardware (like a new hub or something)? Would it probably just be cheaper to buy a new rear wheel?

Thanks!

2009-12-07 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2546542

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-12-07 2:38 PM

Veteran
Puyallup, WA
Subject: RE: Replacing non-quick release hub w/quick release?
I did the same with an '80's Sekai. Worked fine but the wheel would twist in the adjustment slot on the rear fork. Cassette side had a bracket that would prevent the axce from moving back & up but opposite side didn't. I fashioned on out of a fender washer and seems to work fine.
2009-12-07 2:58 PM

Athens, GA
Thanks for the info & suggestion!
2009-12-07 3:06 PM

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
puckstopperga - 2009-12-07 2:39 PM I have a bike mechanics question. My commuter is a crappy wal-mart bike with an old school nut&bolt rear hub configuation. I'd like to switch it out to a quick release skewer(?)? I have an extra one that came with my trainer that I don't need, so I was hoping it'd be as easy as unscrewing something and putting the quick release in its place. But after unscrewing the bolt, I was at a loss of what to do next.

Is what I'm trying to do possible? Or will I need new hardware (like a new hub or something)? Would it probably just be cheaper to buy a new rear wheel?

Thanks!

Yes, it is entirely possible.  You replace the guts of the hub with a new axle.

No, it is not cost effective.  You can get a q/r wheel for under $50 (cheaper if you buy it used).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Replacing non-quick release hub w/quick release? Rss Feed