Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Hotels.com bumped me from my hotel room 3 nights before my stay Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-12-11 5:52 AM
in reply to: #2552248

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: RE: Hotels.com bumped me from my hotel room 3 nights before my stay
the bear - 2009-12-10 10:46 AM
graceful_dave - 2009-12-10 9:41 AM Best bet is to use orbitz/hotels.com/whatever to find the cheapest going rate then book directly through that company. You may pay a few bucks more, but you are less likely to get screwed.

This.

I generally shop through expedia to compare htels and pricing, then book directly through the chain's website. Usually the price is the same, or even a few dollars cheaper, the cancellation policy is more liberal, and you can avoid third-party screwups like this.

I have a friend that works for a large resort hotel in the US and says its not uncommon for them to overbook rooms expecting people to pull a no-show.  They have a sister hotel down the street that they shuttle people too in the event everyone shows up.  I couldn't believe it - she says the people are upset and angry but need the room so they take it - and the hotel owners don't change their policy/procedures. !!  So not just the discounters that are doing it.  This is the hotel itself!

2009-12-11 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2552165

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Wow- I've used travelocity A LOT to book hotels and have never had a problem with my hotel reservations, or airline tickets.  Has anyone had bad luck with Travelocity???
2009-12-11 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2553598

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Lukasz - 2009-12-11 2:30 AM Sorry to hear that. That totally sucks. If you're ever not concerned about the distance between a hotel and a venue, I suggest giving priceline.com a try. You get to pick your star rating, the hotel area (such as downtown, business district, etc), and then you plug in a price you want to pay, and they either accept your price or decline it. If they accept it, then you must stay at the hotel they have picked for you, but it is in the star rating and hotel area you choose. My girlfriend and I did a US road trip this past summer and used the website to get a hotel in the San Francisco downtown area. Priceline.com bumped us up a star rating and we ended up staying at The Hilton for only $85 per night, saving us $105 per night... We also used it for a hotel in Oregon and saved us a couple bucks there as well..

Yup I've done Priceline before - and gotten some really great deals!
The only thing about this particular race and hotel is that at the time I booked the hotel room, my boyfriend was signed up for the full marathon (he has since switched to the half) and the idea of walking 0.2 miles to get to the hotel from the finish line was very appealing! We did this race last year and drove in race morning from a north suburb and got pretty frustrated with traffic, so we wanted to be within walking distance this time.

I looked at Priceline's areas and they could have potentially given me a room up to 4 miles away - not a distance I'd want to walk after a marathon.

But I agree, Priceline is amazing for both hotels and rental cars!
2009-12-11 9:04 AM
in reply to: #2553839

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
runnergirl - 2009-12-11 9:39 AM Wow- I've used travelocity A LOT to book hotels and have never had a problem with my hotel reservations, or airline tickets.  Has anyone had bad luck with Travelocity???

TTMA and I booked our trip to Puerto Rico via Travelocity.  The only hiccup we had was that we were not given seat assignments on the plane despite going through the process of selecting them on the registration.  I even called Delta the day before and there was nothing they could do until we reached the gate (rolls eyes).  It ended up being fine and we sat together, I just thought it added undo stress to a travel situation.  In the case of our flight back, it was oversold by 20+ seats so we had to leave the hotel super early and sit in the airport all day.  That will be the last time I book with them since I felt misled by the non-confirmed seat assignment. 

2009-12-11 11:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am curious how they determined that you guys were the ones bumped? Is it via booking date? repeat customer status? random Draw? You would think it they had a block of rooms and I reserved/paid for my room 4 months ago, they keep selling rooms till overbooked then it should be the people who most recently resereved who are kicked, not someone who reserved it much farther in advance (granted who knows how you compare to the other people but still...makes me a little curious.) Another reason I have always booked directly with the hotel though for my infrequent stays.
2009-12-11 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2554260

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL

bel83 - 2009-12-11 12:05 PM I am curious how they determined that you guys were the ones bumped? Is it via booking date? repeat customer status? random Draw? You would think it they had a block of rooms and I reserved/paid for my room 4 months ago, they keep selling rooms till overbooked then it should be the people who most recently resereved who are kicked, not someone who reserved it much farther in advance (granted who knows how you compare to the other people but still...makes me a little curious.) Another reason I have always booked directly with the hotel though for my infrequent stays.

While it seems like the most recently booked should be getting the call ("Oops, we said you could have a room when we didn't actually have one to give you"), I suspect that the first to be bumped are those paying the lowest rate.

Edited by Meerkat Surprise 2009-12-11 11:44 AM

2009-12-11 3:10 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
What a poor customer service.  Thanks for the heads up about hotel.com    Should have told them that you were going to spread this poor service and backstabbing to BT and hundreds of thousand other potential customers.

Kill their reputation. 
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Hotels.com bumped me from my hotel room 3 nights before my stay Rss Feed  

of 2