England
Concept Sport
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 59m 21s
Overall Rank = 368/489
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/10
Pre-race routine:

Set up transition and chatted to other people in my club.
Event warmup:

Got into sea and splashed about a bit. First swim since coming off bike 2 weeks earlier and not too sure I'd be able to swim. Water far too cold to be able to stay in too long.
Swim
  • 45m 17s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

Extremely cold! (Some swimmers pulled out of water with hypothermia.) Uncomfortable swim (because of cold and because bike injuries), and difficult to manouevre around buoys (and second wave of swimmers).
What would you do differently?:

Rub in some kind of warming cream/balm on feet, face and hands.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 time included in swim split (but about 10 minutes). Too cold after swim to do anything properly (though race too long to worry too much about transition time). Laces a particular problem. First use of race belt and that worked perfectly well.

Keep hot water bottle ready in transition! Make sure things left in transtion are under plastic sheeting or otherwise under cover (see comments on T2). Make cut in energy bar wrapper so it can be torn open more easily.
Bike
  • 3h 17m 10s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Not a pleasant ride. Very cold from the swim so had put lots of clothes on in T1 but still too cold. Conditions were windy for first 90 minutes, then started to rain and temperature dropped even further. Pain in right knee from quite early on, which gradually spread to include thigh. (Also some mild discomfort in elbow and ribs from bike injuries of 2 weeks earlier.) Worst aspect was difficulty in keeping focus and boredom. Generally pretty miserable but on positive side I did manage to climb the longest steady climb reasonably well.

Put on more clothing in T1 if it had been available. Possibly make more effort to go faster or otherwise counteract boredom and assist in keeping focus on race. Need to work more on technical bike skills and bike strength.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 time included in bike split (but about 12 minutes). Still incredibly cold so again very slow. Found running shoes wet from 2 hours in heavy rain. Had dry arm warmers in bag, put those and dry socks on, then shoes. Had enery bar, sorted out race belt, put on cap and set off.

Have another hot water bottle waiting!
Run
  • 1h 56m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off very cold and quite slow but found that the leg pain I had had on the bike hadn't transferred to run. Finished energy bar, began to warm up after about 5 miles and started singing show tunes. Perked up immensely at that point and started increasing pace. Found that I felt so much better when smiling so ignored the fact that I was soaking wet and, although still chilly, sang anything which came into my head. Knew from that point that, accident excepted, I would finish and enjoyed the rest of the race.

Start singing earlier.
Post race
Warm down:

Big hug from b/f, stretched hamstrings, collected stuff from transition and walked back to B&B to get hot shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The weather (it was cold, windy and wet) and having come off my bike 2 weeks earlier. My weakness on bike (compared to swim and run) demonstrates where I need to focus my training for Ironman.

Event comments:

There were some unpleasant, mentally gruelling times during the race, but I feel good about continuing to the finish despite the poor conditions (and very pleased to break 6 hours on first race at this distance). The race was very helpful in mental preparation for Ironman and in learning which aspects I need to focus on. The organisation of the race itself wasn't great but it was a friendly event and there was good camaraderie.

Last updated: 2005-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:17 | 1900 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 293/489
Performance: Below average
Suit: Snugg wetsuit over club shorts & crop top
Course: Sea swim: swim out to first buoy, out and back to second buoy and then back to beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:17:10 | 56 miles | 17.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 394/489
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: Undulating one loop course, some out and back sections, mostly on A roads. Roads of variable quality, especially after rain started to get heavy, traffic not too bad.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:56:54 | 13.1 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/10
Overall: 342/489
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loops of suburban course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-06 10:35 AM

User image

Veteran
London, UK
Subject: Weymouth Middle Distance

2005-06-06 11:03 AM
in reply to: #169403

User image

Expert
White House, TN
Subject: RE: Weymouth Middle Distance

WOW! I mean just...WOW!

NOT ONLY did you do a half-Ironman, a feat in and of itself, but you did it when you were busted up.

Forget the Half-Iron(person) crap; You're already an IronWoman in my book!

Great race, Jane! 

Hmmm...sub-6 in 1/2 IM = sub-12 in full IM?  Just wondering.

2005-06-06 5:07 PM
in reply to: #169439

User image

Veteran
London, UK

Thanks Tom, you are such a good support.

I would love to do a sub-12 hour IM, but with only 39 seconds leeway I don't think it's going to happen :-)  My aim for IM is to finish in under 17 hours with a smile on my face.  If I can do that then I'll be really, really happy.  Anything else would be a huge bonus. 

2005-06-06 9:21 PM
in reply to: #169403

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
Very imressive!!! What brutal conditions you faced. If you get good weather for your IM, that should be easier. :-) Congratulations on finishing in under 6 hours.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Weymouth Middle Distance Rss Feed